Chain Reaction not supplying certain brands to SA

davem

I was doing some price comparisons on Garmin as I am keen on an Edge 500.

Chain Reaction and Wiggle do not show any Garmin products if your delivery destination is RSA. They are all there if you choose UK delivery.

Why would this be the case? Are the parent companies protecting the local distributors? Does this fall foul of anti competition laws?

It really means that the local market can hold the customer to ransom on prices.

I also was looking at some swimming paddles. GBP8.99 on CRC (not available to deliver to SA). R450 at Sportsmans Warehouse. VAT, Shipping and Import Duties (not clear on swimming equipment) should not multiply a foreign retail price by three to get to the SA retail price.

Edited by davem

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking for lapierre bikes and noticed the same thing on crc!! As soon as I change my county of delivery to SA, it removes them from the search and even removes the bike from the shopping cart!

Takealot.com delivered my Edge 500 to my door yesterday, two days after paying for it. R2912 incl vat and free door to door delivery. They only sell the Blue one though. If you want a red one, Easygis is selling it for R2999 incl vat incl delivery

So if you choose UK when browsing, and put in an SA address for delivery, will they accept the order?

same goes for amazon.com (edit: just as an example!)

Was browsing power supplies (whole of south africa is out of stock of all the good ones) and graphics cards. 4 will say "ships to JHB" and 1 will say "does not ship to RSA". I believe Super_mil's reason is probably the right one.

Edited by Dirkitect

same goes for amazon.com (edit: just as an example!)

Was browsing power supplies (whole of south africa is out of stock of all the good ones) and graphics cards. 4 will say "ships to JHB" and 1 will say "does not ship to RSA". I believe Super_mil's reason is probably the right one.

Which PSU are you looking for? Wootware has stock of some of the good ones, as does Takealot and Evetech.

Takealot.com delivered my Edge 500 to my door yesterday, two days after paying for it. R2912 incl vat and free door to door delivery. They only sell the Blue one though. If you want a red one, Easygis is selling it for R2999 incl vat incl delivery

Did it have the normal HR or premium HR strap? The pic shows the cheap strap but the Garmin site has the premium strap as part of the bundle.

I use a site called myus.com to purchase from sites that will only deliver to the US. It works really well. The site sends the item to an address in America and myus then forwards it on to me. It is very expensive but super quick. There is a UK based one but I am not sure what it is called or how good they are.

Have you checked BikeInn.?

I remember a lot of Hubbers posting good experiences particularly for Garmin purchases.