XX = 183g

X0 = 232g

RD

XX = 181g

X0 = 190g

Cranks

XX = 757g

X0 = 788g

Ja, but you gotta ask - what have they done to remove that grammage? There's the law of diminishing returns, and the gap between X0 & XX is a large on ito price, as they have to get a bit imaginative on the whole weight loss exercise....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you got gripshift...

I got rid of my grip shift after the mud fest at Sabie this year. it was almost impossible to shift the gears in those conditions...

As long as you got gripshift...

I got rid of my grip shift after the mud fest at Sabie this year. it was almost impossible to shift the gears in those conditions...

Also swore by my Gripshifts, but after going to the Trigger shifters, I do not miss them one bit, mainly because of this. Would have been a real struggle doing the Burger with gripshifts.

I was seriously considering them, until I saw the guy in front of me at barberton pulling leaves off the bushes to help him grip after the river crossings... case closed for me.

More like gripsh!t if you ask me ;)

No seriously I am sure there are guys who swear by theirs but I have never had a feel for them. I definitely prefer my levers!

I am died-in-the-wool grip-shifter (and early adopter), I have never had an issue gripping,. although I do avoid mud fests.

You do need to keep you cables in order, and latest X0/XX are quite a step forward in terms of design.

Edited by kosmonooit

Im in need of some help as im new to sram. My bike currently has full xo 2x10 but I have a chamce to go xx 2x10. Im just not sure tho if its a good thing or not

Pics are of what I currently have.

Please clarify what you mean with "have a chance". Do you have a chance to get XX components at XO price? Do you have a chance to get XX components at XX price? Do you have a chance to get XX components which are usually not easily available to you?

If your concern is as simple as whether the XX price tag is worth the weight saving- when I was faced with the same decision I came to the conclusion that NO, it wasn't.

XX is lightweight "professional racer" level.

X0 is more for the everyday cyclist.

XX will as a result not last as long, and is more expensive to maintain / replace worn out / broken parts.

X0 is quite robust, because it is not made to be as light as possible.

Very little difference (to you and me at least) in performance.

IMHO, not worth the effort / expense.

Why do you say XX won't last as long? It's titanium... so relatively strong and also corrosion resistant.. off the top of my head I don't think it rusts at all.

Not arguing, I want to know if you know something I/we don't?

Why do you say XX won't last as long? It's titanium... so relatively strong and also corrosion resistant.. off the top of my head I don't think it rusts at all.

Not arguing, I want to know if you know something I/we don't?

1) Not everything on XX is Titanium, only certain parts.

2) Titanium is expensive to replace, and it can (and does) break.

Also more carbon bits on XX, certainly on the shifters. You might find the Titanium in the screws and springs, and not only is it totally corrosion-proof, its also lighter that Steel.

Edited by kosmonooit

I bought an brand new Epic and had problems with a Shimano derailer on my first race. I change the derailer and shifters to Sram XO. Best thing I could do. I have done a number of very muddy races and never had any issues. I don't want to hijack this thread, but what is the good to best brakes to fit. I am 91kg and the current brakes (Magura MTS) struggle a bit.

Buddy of mine had XX rd, got some grass caught in the jockey wheels on one ride and that was the end of that. Somehow the spring got broken beyond repair, so light but definitely not durable.

If you're racing at the sharp end of races, and have a mechanic waiting for you at the end of a ride then XX is for you. Otherwise X0 or even X9 will more than suffice. Personal experience, X9 is bulletproof and half the price of X0, even if marginally heavier.