Possible rear shock bushing wear?

Sidmouth

I have a Fox 2012 PR 23 rear shock.

If I grad the seat and lift I get this clunk feeling, like a bit of play ,and it is getting worse, I am hoping it is just a Bushing issue.

Has anyone experience this and ope easy and accessible are these bushing units

I have a FusionX shock and did the same thing. If you place you fingers on the bushes between the pivots and pull up on the seat and then drop like you did you should be able to feel which ones need to be replaced. Bushes for mine was less than R100. They seem to be one of those wearing parts that need to be replaced every now and then.

I have a Fox 2012 PR 23 rear shock.

If I grad the seat and lift I get this clunk feeling, like a bit of play ,and it is getting worse, I am hoping it is just a Bushing issue.

Has anyone experience this and ope easy and accessible are these bushing units

What bike ? some bikes seem more prone to this, especially Giant. The aluminium half bushes are very soft and wear quickly, used to drive me crazy, Replaced them with Endura needle roller kit and have never looked back. You need to drive out the fox eylet bushing to replace it with the needle roller. pretty straightforward job but if you are not mechanically minded rather get a bike shop to do it for you. I ordered over e-bay from USA, company called Real World Cycling. great service from them. Maybe there is an SA importer for Endura products but in my experience the bike shops are not very clued up on this so you may as well order direct.

post-5378-0-41125100-1410159409_thumb.jpg

Is it the Superfly? Bearings will still be fine, it's most likely just the bushing and possibly mounting hardware. A 10 minute job if the reducer's still fine, overnight if it needs replacing.

Thank you Stoked Suspension , within 2 mins you have the bushing out and problem solved,.

Edited by Sidmouth

Thank you Stoked Suspension , within 2 mins you have the bushing out and problem solved,.

We are very lucky to have you just down the road.

Cool :clap: What was the problem in the end?

Is it the Superfly? Bearings will still be fine, it's most likely just the bushing and possibly mounting hardware. A 10 minute job if the reducer's still fine, overnight if it needs replacing.

Hi Droo

I also have this from time to time on my Niner RIP9 rear shock.

Replace the bushings on average every secind time I service the shock.

My question to you, is will those RWC needle bearings solve this completely or last significantly longer?

Hope you can help

I usually only replace the the DU bush. The main reason is because I have machined mounting hardware out of bright mild steel which seems to last forever. I have a bag of 20 DU bushes, and it really only takes about 10 minutes to press new DU bushes into the shock eyelets and re-install mounting hardware.

The correct tools are required to do it though.

Hi Droo

I also have this from time to time on my Niner RIP9 rear shock.

Replace the bushings on average every secind time I service the shock.

My question to you, is will those RWC needle bearings solve this completely or last significantly longer?

Hope you can help

I can answer this for you. Yes. The problem will be gone.. I have done over 10,000km on one RWC bearing set and it`s still as good as new.

I can answer this for you. Yes. The problem will be gone.. I have done over 10,000km on one RWC bearing set and it`s still as good as new.

What frame is it on?

Hi DirtyFrank

Who installed the needle bearing for you?

Did you require special tools?

And, where did you say you ordered the RWC from?

Oh yes, what about the lower / bottom bushing?

Did you get 2x sets of bearings and fitted top and bottom?

Thx

Edited by NINER_boy

I usually only replace the the DU bush. The main reason is because I have machined mounting hardware out of bright mild steel which seems to last forever. I have a bag of 20 DU bushes, and it really only takes about 10 minutes to press new DU bushes into the shock eyelets and re-install mounting hardware.

The correct tools are required to do it though.

What's bright mild steel?