Formula RX brake pads too thick? Pushing against rotor...

Gregstah

Hi! My wheel has no "freewheel" after replacing my my formula break pads in fact it feels like I'm dragging the brakes.

It seems like they are too "thick" as in not to spec, the rotor gets between but in with a rather too tight for comfort fit.

My rotors aren't warped and I pushed the pistons back carefully during installation (I've done this on various cars many times over the years, yeah I know they bike would be far more delicate ;-) )

The pads I've replaced them with are a pair bought from Olympic Cycles here in Cape Town by www.definitivebikes.com

I'm not quite sure what to do apart from putting the old pads in for now, they have about 1mm on them.

Comparing the old pads vs the new ones:

Base thickness 2.1 mm for both

Base shape, identical

Overall thickness New 4mm, Old 3mm (of course this is wear)

Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

post-62483-0-56306900-1410281139_thumb.jpg

When you pushed the pistons back do they stay pushed in? I have seen some of the formula brakes with to much fluid somehow I bleed might sort it out. Can also try to sand/file the pad thinner? I also bought some of the db pads, haven't fitted them yet.

It's rather common issue on Formula brakes. Check that the pistons are not sticky first, by taking out the pads, slowly pulling the brake lever and letting them come out. Might need to lube pistons. Secondly, you have to take your time to get calipers aligned perfectly.

Hey guys, wow thank you!

I've been on forums for years and this is like it used to be, people helping without crap!

Have a great evening.

PS: anyone know where I can get a bleed kit for formula brakes offhand? Of course I'll refer to Google in the meantime :-)

G

Hi

My 2 cents worth, from working on a few sets of Formula.

Push the pistons back and see if they line up flush with the housing, easily.

If not, then bleed the brakes a little,

If they do go back to flush easily, bleeding will not help too much and brakes will get soft as the pads wear. Rather sand them down.

You dont need a bleed kit unless you replacing the fluid or have air trapped inside (not sure if everyone will agree with me here)

Pull the brake lever, then slowly loosen the bottom bleed nipple, just enough to let a little fluid escape and re tighten before releasing the bake lever, Dont open the screw too much or release the lever before tightening, else you will let air in and then will need a bleed kit. The trick is to do it slowly and repeat the process as needed.

Make sure you have a cloth to wide away any fliud

Hi

My 2 cents worth, from working on a few sets of Formula.

Push the pistons back and see if they line up flush with the housing, easily.

If not, then bleed the brakes a little,

If they do go back to flush easily, bleeding will not help too much and brakes will get soft as the pads wear. Rather sand them down.

You dont need a bleed kit unless you replacing the fluid or have air trapped inside (not sure if everyone will agree with me here)

Pull the brake lever, then slowly loosen the bottom bleed nipple, just enough to let a little fluid escape and re tighten before releasing the bake lever, Dont open the screw too much or release the lever before tightening, else you will let air in and then will need a bleed kit. The trick is to do it slowly and repeat the process as needed.

Make sure you have a cloth to wide away any fliud

Edzakery

Check if it's just one pad touching, maybe the caliper needs to be properly centered, probably too much fluid in the system as has been mentioned, just take a little out.

As others had mentioned, but also had the same problem.

I let out a few drops of oil, not much at all and it was all sorted out.

I could not even fit my rotors in they where so tight.

It was because I had my brake bleed when they where slightly worn down a bit and that had a touch more oil than normal.

Good luck, I am sure you will get sorted out.

Check if it's just one pad touching, maybe the caliper needs to be properly centered, probably too much fluid in the system as has been mentioned, just take a little out.

Well, exactly how much ?

Op, if your brakes have never been bled and worked without drag before then the fluid levels are correct.

I think you don't have the pistons back all the way and normally if you struggle to do so then you will find there is some air trapped in the system not allowing you to push the pistons back .

Make sure pistons are moving freely, push them back all the way, if they can't go back all the way release some fluid, they don't want to be filled too much.

As others had mentioned, but also had the same problem.

I let out a few drops of oil, not much at all and it was all sorted out.

I could not even fit my rotors in they where so tight.

It was because I had my brake bleed when they where slightly worn down a bit and that had a touch more oil than normal.

Good luck, I am sure you will get sorted out.

In that case they were bled incorrectly and anyone bleeding brakes with the pads still in the caliper as a opposed to a bleeding block should not be working on a bicycle.

In that case they were bled incorrectly and anyone bleeding brakes with the pads still in the caliper as a opposed to a bleeding block should not be working on a bicycle.

ja nee kyk....miskien was hulle besig om bearing te grease en vergeet van die ou bloeiblokkie :clap: