New handlbars on old stem?

Maj

By fluke I was given a trek y-foil 66 as my first road bike a few months ago. I love it to smithereens but having a bit of trouble with the classic handlebars, as my hands are too small for me to reach the brake levers when I'm in the drops, and overall not working for me ergonomically. I'd love to swap them out for more modern ergonomic or even compact shape, but have a threaded headset that will only accommodate 26mm diameter handlbars, and I don't want to have to change my fork to get threadless modern headset. Am I living in la-la land?

You can get an A-headset adapter, then you can use a modern type stem and handlebar on your bike, should be able to get it at most LBSs.

Out of interest, do you have a pic of the bike, because those were the only really beautiful bikes Trek has ever made.

You can get an A-headset adapter, then you can use a modern type stem and handlebar on your bike, should be able to get it at most LBSs.

Out of interest, do you have a pic of the bike, because those were the only really beautiful bikes Trek has ever made.

Marmite bike IMO

Cheers, will post pic l8r

here's my baby :-) She came sans seat and post, but I like the black post the shop gave me. The serious lack of aesthetic of the stone-age bottle cage is irksome, but it works, so will have to do until I get something prettier that fits.post-64181-0-96927500-1410368720_thumb.jpg

You can get "old school" diameter bar with ergo bends.

I have a 3T "Morpheus" bar. 26mm diameter, fits in a normal quill stem.

here's my baby :-) She came sans seat and post, but I like the black post the shop gave me. The serious lack of aesthetic of the stone-age bottle cage is irksome, but it works, so will have to do until I get something prettier that fits.post-64181-0-96927500-1410368720_thumb.jpg

What a lekker looking bike.

Would love one like that

Something makes me think that would originally have had tri/TT bars on. ...

apparently trek wanted to appeal specifically to the racing fraternity, so it was built as a racer. after the uci stipulated that all bikes had to have a seat post, the y-foil was doomed, so if they had originally specced it as a tri bike it would've probably been hugely successful...

You can get "old school" diameter bar with ergo bends.

I have a 3T "Morpheus" bar. 26mm diameter, fits in a normal quill stem.

where'd you find them and how much did you pay?

my hands are too small for me to reach the brake levers when I'm in the drops, and overall not working for me ergonomically.

Look at moving the levers down on the bars and tilting the bars upwards. You will improve the reach to the levers without increasing the overall effective top-tube length.

yep.... still don't like marmite

;)