Tyre Sealant in Tubes

Paulm

I need advice on using tyre sealant in existing tubes. Something like Stan's. I don't want to buy the pre-slimed tubes since it did not work for me previously.

I am aware of the advantages of going tubeless but it is not cost effective for all the bicycles in the family. This is my plan for the bikes that are only used a few times a year. It is also to at least use the non tubeless tyres that are lying around.

Firstly I need to know if it is worthwile to explore, secondly advice on inserting with a syringe, cutting and patching afterwards etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also interested to know.

My wife has a new bike has non tubeless tyres and I want to do the same thing at least until the tyres need to be replaced and I can see if she still wants to ride and then get something decent.

I need advice on using tyre sealant in existing tubes. Something like Stan's. I don't want to buy the pre-slimed tubes since it did not work for me previously.

I am aware of the advantages of going tubeless but it is not cost effective for all the bicycles in the family. This is my plan for the bikes that are only used a few times a year. It is also to at least use the non tubeless tyres that are lying around.

Firstly I need to know if it is worthwile to explore, secondly advice on inserting with a syringe, cutting and patching afterwards etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just a note on that is that you should be able to remove the valve cores and then inject the sealant into the tube that way.

This is my plan for the bikes that are only used a few times a year.

The sealant is likely to dry out.

EDIT: Although, probably won't happen as fast as with tubeless setup. But, like TK said, will result in slow puncture and a mess.

Edited by 2bliss

This is an easy and worthwhile exercise. Get one of those big syringes at a vet or farmer store (Farm City). Buy any tyre sealant (the green suff with black beads looks awsiem and works like a bomb). Make sure the tube that you buy has a removable valve core, especially some of the Presta ones. Fill syringe with recommended quantity of sealant (and a little bit more for good measure), remove valve core, inflate tube partially to create space, insert syringe tip into valve body and inject the sealant into tube. Use milking motion on tube to force sealant to bottom section of tube. Take cotton bud and clean internal section of valve body. Re-insert valve core. Fit tube to wheel......Bob is your uncle.

Just take note that you will be adding some extra weight to the wheel, and also that the wheel will tend to have an uneven spin to it because of the fluid (when bike is turned upside down). This however does not feature when you cycle. Big advantage of this method is that it is easy, low maintenance, longer service time, less top-ups required and cheap. Works as good as tubeless if tyre pressure is correct. Tyre pressure will be a bit higher than tubeless.

Gotta run now......find hiding space......lynch mob approaching.

PS: slow puncture is not a problem, you will still be able to get where you want to go. Do a search on this topic and you will notice in other threads some of the monster thorns that this setup has handled more than adequately.

Edited by BarHugger

wast of money, the only system that works is tubless, buy any fold able tyre, tape your rim, buy a valve and off you go, I am running fasttrack tyres at R450 each, works like a bomb

waste of time in my opinion.

carry a spare tube or three, much easier that the illusion of puncture protection, and you shure as **** will not be able to pactch once the sealant has been all over the place

This

This is an easy and worthwhile exercise. Get one of those big syringes at a vet or farmer store (Farm City). Buy any tyre sealant (the green suff with black beads looks awsiem and works like a bomb). Make sure the tube that you buy has a removable valve core, especially some of the Presta ones. Fill syringe with recommended quantity of sealant (and a little bit more for good measure), remove valve core, inflate tube partially to create space, insert syringe tip into valve body and inject the sealant into tube. Use milking motion on tube to force sealant to bottom section of tube. Take cotton bud and clean internal section of valve body. Re-insert valve core. Fit tube to wheel......Bob is your uncle.

Just take note that you will be adding some extra weight to the wheel, and also that the wheel will tend to have an uneven spin to it because of the fluid (when bike is turned upside down). This however does not feature when you cycle. Big advantage of this method is that it is easy, low maintenance, longer service time, less top-ups required and cheap. Works as good as tubeless if tyre pressure is correct. Tyre pressure will be a bit higher than tubeless.

Gotta run now......find hiding space......lynch mob approaching.

Haha... Does the sealant really work in tubes ? I was under the impression the sealant had to be exposed to different pressure and elements to be effective AND set correctly.... 

OP I know you mentioned the cost factor of converting... it is worth every cent, maybe consider doing one bike at a time for what its worth

waste of time in my opinion.

carry a spare tube or three, much easier that the illusion of puncture protection, and you shure as **** will not be able to pactch once the sealant has been all over the place

oh but this ^^^ if you're not going to convert

Do it like described above, I found it worked well.

I just add a spare tube in a ziplock bag for each rider to carry.

Don't bother trying to patch on the trail, just swap the tube and dump the leaking one in the ziplock bag and get going.

As for the cheap tubeless conversion, it works like a bomb, until you need to re-seat and seal the tire on the trail with a hand pump or bomb - it can be a total biaaaatch. (I have Stans all over my ceiling from trying to seal non-tubeless on a converted rim)

But do it anyway and see how it works for your particular setup.

Good decisions come from experience

Unfortunately, experience is gained through bad decisions.

You'll figure it out.

Edited by zaslinger

sealant, according to the manufacturer specs will work equally well in tyres and tubes...what's actually different between the two?

Did the tube with sealant before and it worked well.  But went tubeless.  Just have to invest in a set of tubeless tyres for the fiancees bike (still waiting for the bike to get to the LBS)

Haha... Does the sealant really work in tubes ? I was under the impression the sealant had to be exposed to different pressure and elements to be effective AND set correctly....

Proof is in the pudding........when you can finish a ride without a problem.

Check out these threads:

Tube with sealant worked well with these bad boys.....just don't remove them till you finished your ride, otherwise you are screwed.....same principle for tubeless.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/135646-thorns-in-tubeless-tyre/?hl=tubeless&do=findComment&comment=2196412

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/130227-if-going-tubeless-means-not-having-to-go-through-this-where-do-i-sign-up/page-3?hl=tubeless&do=findComment&comment=2043016

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/139843-best-tubes-for-non-tubeless-bikes/?hl=tubeless&do=findComment&comment=2315519

.....and it might aid in preventing this.....although not scientifically proven and the jury is still deliberating:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/143235-what-is-happening-to-my-ikons/?do=findComment&comment=2425627

Edited by BarHugger