Neck fusion and getting back on the bike.

BrianMTB

Six weeks ago I succeeded in herniating two of the discs in my neck (C5-6 and C6-7 for the medically minded among you). Exactly how I managed this is a matter for another thread :) Anyway, after two weeks of trying to correct the problem conservatively the pain and loss of motor function in my left arm forced me to undergo surgery. A serious hospital bill later (thankfully taken care of by Discovery) and  I am now the proud owner of a titanium plate and some screws at C5-6 (fusion) and a replacement disc at C6-7.

I've been doing all the recommended exercises and am feeling pretty good four weeks after surgery. The strength in my arm has returned as has full functionality. My neurosurgeon told me to stay off my bike for three months so I will only be using the indoor trainer until then.

Are there any other Hubbers who've had similar surgery and who have advice about do's and don'ts and getting started again?

I will be following this thread closely.

i also managed to herniate my C5-6 disc, after consultation with a neurosurgeon I decided to ride it out as I had no motor issues just some pain in the shoulders and neck.

I must say though, as hard as it is to believe, I have been using a Japanese Germaniun negative ion necklace which has just about sorted out my neck completed.

Hope you come right bud, glad to hear the surgyry was a success, quite a lot of complications that can happen with it.

I ruptured 3 lumbar discs, emergency fusion, was on the IDT within 2 months, I took lots of calcium supplements to speed up the fusion and started doing lots ofstatic core...... 2 years later and I am better than before!!

I have a couple of friends that have had neck fusions and are both cycling again without any problems.I would however not rush into anything and do the exercises properly and regularly.

Personally,I have had 2 spinal fusions and started cycling again after being off the bike for 4 years.I simply don't have the power/strength etc that I used to have but have tried to make peace with the fact that I can still cycle even though my times are much slower.

All the best.

Hi , I to will be following thread carefully , had dbl disc replacement at C5-6 and C6-7

and while a great pain relief still had some numbness in thumb and first two fingers on rhs.

I had just started to get into MTB thanks  to an intro from brother around van Gaalens and would ride to spruit and was building up distance pace.

Than on may 17th  I took a freak tumble on spruit and long story later broke c7's facet off , end thereby relieving the pressure and hand better than it has being in years.

The fusion  and disc replacement is stronger than before, and once you have rebuilt upper body condition you will be fine, C5-6 and C6-7 dont have much rotation but will be between you ears going forward , tucking in chin to tense neck muscle and support neck needs to coming as natural as decleat !!!

Yours will have being a gradual deterioration of condition , I lost 10kg of upper body condition in 6week of neck brace ;-) .

Now rides take more out of upper body and arms than legs - go figure !!!

Busy with small steps forward so still working it out myself !

Don't rush it. 4 yr ago I fractured 2 vertebrae in my thoracic region. Ended up fused from t2 to t7. Had a lot of numbness in arms. 6 month later could barely hold myself up on a bike. After 2 years was riding the odd event and managed a 4 day stage event in Lesotho on very technical trails.

Now, 4 years later I am enjoying cycling more than ever but have to be very careful not to fall. I have only just gotten back to riding all the bull runs I used to take for granted before. Guessing my new LTc and 29 wheels have something to do with that!!

So grateful not to be in a wheelchair that any kind of riding would be good enough actually. My perspectives have changed a bit and I take more time to enjoy the scenery and the company of friends on rides - hard charging not so important any more.

It may take some time to recover so don't overdo it. Step by step and be prepared to take it easy for a while. Will take your body some time to adjust to that metalwork and it will be weaker until it does so, seriously, don't overdo it.

Good luck!

Had fusion done L3 - S1 when I was in my twenties. Started  road cycling early forties. Always suffered after the races with pain between the shoulder blades. also did some mtb, more dirt roady than anything else.

Beginning of this year I had c3 -c4 and c4 -c5 fused, suffered from numbness in left arm and ugly pain in shoulder and neck. Been doing some riding on the road and trainer again. I attempted a mtb fun race about a month ago and had to pull out after just 5 kms. Too much for my neck.

Will be trying a dirt roady ride tomorrow.

My advice. Do as the doc says. If you still young, listen to your body also. If you old like me, use common sense, rather be chicken than stupid.

Thanks for all the input. It's good to hear from others who've experienced this. Will surely be following the doc's instructions and taking it step by step.

Looking forward to being back on the trails soon! Have a great Heritage Day!

I have had the same fusion as you on both cervical levels as well as a Lumbar fusion.

It took me about 3 months before I could get slowly back into training, and I started mostly by swimming, I think you may heal quicker if you are younger but I was 46 years old when I had my lumbar fusion and 48 when I had the cervical fusions and I took a bit longer to heal. 

I was pedantic about not straining the fusions in any way until my neurosurgeon gave me the go ahead to start training again, the good news is its been over 10 years since my last fusion and I have not had one issue since, I did lose a bit of mobility but otherwise I would say I made a 100% recovery and today I run, cycle, hike, swim....except for bungee jumping and getting involved in a rugby scrum, theres nothing I cant do.  

Don't know if this is related but my mother in law had a back op a few months ago where they put some plates in.

She wants to take up cycling, and is asking my advice (i know nothing), on purchasing a bike.

Is a dual suspension be 'better' for her back?

Does it matter?

Don't know if this is related but my mother in law had a back op a few months ago where they put some plates in.

She wants to take up cycling, and is asking my advice (i know nothing), on purchasing a bike.

Is a dual suspension be 'better' for her back?

Does it matter?

There are some drs on thehub so I believe it will be better for them to answer, I think general fitness and "age" may play a roll. I can't remember to well, but I had 2 back ops (last one was a fusion, L2 - L3 or L3- L4) in less than 2 years, luckily I'm not even 40, close but not yet and I changed from a duallie to a hard tail. I enjoy the ht but many times I miss my duallie a lot seeing that a duallie is much more forgiving and depending on terrain. But then again the most important to do is to get the CORE MUSCLES VERY STRONG because that helps a lot and cycling helped me to make it stronger.

Tried to cure for months before going finally had the op lost all functionality in my right arm and trashed my body with anti inflammatory and pain med.. Had the same op. Rested for 3weeks started on the mtb no rough stuff for first 2mont just road and farm roads. Then rode epic. My neuro told me nothing will happen on c6/7. Maybe on the others but not where uts fused. .. That's a SOLID. 4 years later. No problem

Archived