Meerendal MTB

Tubeless

So the club has now lost Kliprug, Meerendal and the Hoogekraal corridor... lets see for how long club members still have access to Meerendal. I for one am considering my alternatives with regards to membership(s)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your club membership still give you access to Meerendal so you are not getting X-1 (hopefully the bad maintenance is temporary)

New sections gets added to the trails all the time, do you send the club extra money every time a trail gets added, that's my question?

Read comment by GLuvsMtb, no need to elaborate 

The club has not lost Meerendal. Meerendal is doing there own maintenance :rolleyes: . The club now just has to pay annually of monthly or whatever. The same as with Contermans.

I don't get your point, like Tubeless say, we still have access to Meerendal, its now the same arrangement we have with Conters

Kliprug was lost to us before 2014 so it's irrelevant to the current fee, the corridor was only that - a corridor of a few 100 meters, do you want a R5 annual discount everytime a corridor gets taken away?

Since I have joined the club in 2011 new trails & sections gets added every year (and yes, sometimes some gets taken away), and again, you don't pay extra everytime a trail gets added.

To tie up with what Dubber said, the club are doing good things, try to see the bigger picture and even if you don't. as long as you are paying less for your annual fee than what the sum of your daily permits would be it's still good value for money.

I have decided to stop riding Meerendal anyway. Maintenance issues, closed sections and often too much traffic on the trail, is the reasons I just don't enjoy it anymore. I will however renew my membership next year, because Hoogekraal, Conties, Hillcrest and Bloemendal upper and lower are much better trails, that I hit 3-4 times a week. All that for R50ish/month... Gotta love it.

I haven't been to Meerendal in a while, but decided to go there on Sunday. Was really disappointed to see that all the hard work that went into the trails for the Epic was just a waste. Some sections (two or three, I think) were closed. What's the point of having them if we can't ride it? Things were much better under the Club's management.

I ride these trails a lot and each one has itvs own character to me, I do Meerendal for climbing training, Hoogekraal cos I love it, and I have now done Bloemendaaler once and it may become a favourite cos I love forest trails without having to go to Grabouw or Stellies. I wish Meerendal maintenance was better on those bottom sections. ..

Maybe we should all just mail them and express our enjoyment is being affected. Patrick mentioned once that at some point the Meerendal owner was coming from overseas to inspect things. Not sure what happened with that but now must be a perfect time to sort out the berms, etc. Hell I'd come lend a hand even, and I can't hammer a nail without injuring my groin.

I would not want to speculate, but if I were Meerendal and Contermanskloof I'd be talking about some collaboration with trail building and Maintenance. Botlary Hills seem to have a good structure in this regard and is probably much more sustainable than having to renegotiate land access annually.

I ride these trails a lot and each one has itvs own character to me, I do Meerendal for climbing training, Hoogekraal cos I love it, and I have now done Bloemendaaler once and it may become a favourite cos I love forest trails without having to go to Grabouw or Stellies. I wish Meerendal maintenance was better on those bottom sections. ..

Maybe we should all just mail them and express our enjoyment is being affected. Patrick mentioned once that at some point the Meerendal owner was coming from overseas to inspect things. Not sure what happened with that but now must be a perfect time to sort out the berms, etc. Hell I'd come lend a hand even, and I can't hammer a nail without injuring my groin.

The MEERENDAL owner is currently busy with EPIC-SNOW training in the ALPS, so doubt he will be coming down anytime soon.

Contermans will see me more that's for sure!!

I only went to Meerendal because of the restaurant.  Now that Conties has a coffee shop I have no need to ride Meerendal which is a good thing.  Really sad that I never got to try some of the sections they built for the Epic.

The new coffee shop at Contermans is great.  Currently only coffee and small things like delicious carrot cake, but they have plans to offer more food in the future and they are extremely mtb friendly.

I ride it almost every morning,..so yeah, its gone a bit backwards, but still a privilege to ride and a beautiful trail..these pics were taken this morning

(maybe we've just been too spoilt with manicured trails, and forgot about the rough end of mountain biking,..just saying :-)

post-17321-0-13531200-1412159197_thumb.jpgpost-17321-0-82953800-1412159230_thumb.jpgpost-17321-0-57962600-1412159292_thumb.jpg

I rode Hoogekraal last night, its awesome. having said that and ridden Meerendal quite a lot, it could be better, but we do ride mountain bikes and shouldn't be looking for tarred roads!!!!

I think we are spoilt for trails in the Tygerberg area!

The MEERENDAL owner is currently busy with EPIC-SNOW training in the ALPS, so doubt he will be coming down anytime soon. Contermans will see me more that's for sure!!

That's the weird thing - for no reason that I can discern, I prefer Meerendal to Contermanskloof. No idea why... They should just open those bottom sections, mud is there to be fallen in.

Archived