Meerendal MTB

Tubeless

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers thanks, I looked yesterday and it still said R420,so was confused

They probably only changed it on the website late I guess. Think the biggest saving comes in when you link up the different trails in one ride, otherwise you have to ride quite a lot to get to the break even point of 10 rides in the next 3 months, especially if you want to ride other places as well.  If you can ride more than once a week on the local trails then it makes more sense in joining for the remainder of the year.

They probably only changed it on the website late I guess. Think the biggest saving comes in when you link up the different trails in one ride, otherwise you have to ride quite a lot to get to the break even point of 10 rides in the next 3 months, especially if you want to ride other places as well.  If you can ride more than once a week on the local trails then it makes more sense in joining for the remainder of the year.

Now maybe I am still new to this whole MTB thing, but be assured, I will MOST DEFINITELY be hitting the trails more than 10 times before the end of January 2015. I started ridinng meeries in January, and it has been a blast, then I found Conties, and have been tearing it up ( figuratively of course ) ever since...I have been amped to ride meeries again, especially dorst berg, and I feel that the reduction of membership is a definite advantage to be utilised. I just hope that the management of meerendal will get a team to clear up the overgrown sections and do some trail maintenance, as it will really be a pity to lose such a sterling trail.

I rode down Cobra twice this am, and if anyone is taking relative newbies down there anytime soon, that one section near the bottom where you go over the rock at an angle to the right followed by two small curves and then a turn right is going to catch a few unsuspecting victims! :) (and then we'll be saying it's as bad as Meerendal). What a lovely morning it was!!

You don't let noobs ride the Cobra. That rocky switchback, just after you pass through the bushes, has caught me out twice... Luckily low speed  :oops:

Now maybe I am still new to this whole MTB thing, but be assured, I will MOST DEFINITELY be hitting the trails more than 10 times before the end of January 2015. I started ridinng meeries in January, and it has been a blast, then I found Conties, and have been tearing it up ( figuratively of course ) ever since...I have been amped to ride meeries again, especially dorst berg, and I feel that the reduction of membership is a definite advantage to be utilised. I just hope that the management of meerendal will get a team to clear up the overgrown sections and do some trail maintenance, as it will really be a pity to lose such a sterling trail.

Then you are in for a blast when you discover Hoogekraal and Bloemendaler, after you join!

Beware the Cobra!!!

You don't let noobs ride the Cobra. That rocky switchback, just after you pass through the bushes, has caught me out twice... Luckily low speed  :oops:

A first-timer did it with me today on the one lap... we did it really slowly and I got her to walk the scary bits & I was really impressed. Had a few falls but only on the non-scary bits. And on a Friday morning there is NO traffic, so you can stop and redo bits.

PS: I stopped and moved some large loose rocks that had crowded that bit, making it really sketchy with the new "braking holes" that are forming. One week of hot sun, and skidding and it's fairly hairy

Membership prices have dropped another 25% as of yesterday. It is standard amongst most prorated memberships that they do not drop completely in line with the drop in duration, but please also remember that 2014 boards can be used until the end of January 2015.

thanks for the info!  

Membership prices have dropped another 25% as of yesterday. It is standard amongst most prorated memberships that they do not drop completely in line with the drop in duration, but please also remember that 2014 boards can be used until the end of January 2015.

Are you planning on dropping it again this year. I'll be in CT over Dec/Jan and would like to ride all the TygerbergMTB trails while I'm there.

Meerendal is still okay to ride. I do it at least three times a week. The Dorsberg climb is a good test of fitness and strength, the descent is superb and the other ST including the Burry Stander climb and Xmas route are great, Yes, the trails have eroded but in some cases this can in fact improve your skills. Sure, I'd like it to get some TLC but whoever is complaining about riding it should maybe consider road because it's still - even in bad condition - one of the easiest trails around to ride.

"last night" ???!!! was it an official night ride? If not you are a rogue rider then.

Sorry I typed badly. Last night meaning the evening before. Before sunset. Anytime after work is nighttime!!! Loving that the sun sets a little later so I have time to get out there. As Patrick and and the Gnomes say: I feel the same red mist for rogue riders!!! Keep the land owners happy

Sorry I typed badly. Last night meaning the evening before. Before sunset. Anytime after work is nighttime!!! Loving that the sun sets a little later so I have time to get out there. As Patrick and and the Gnomes say: I feel the same red mist for rogue riders!!! Keep the land owners happy

No worries, I can understand that sometimes we forget as the season changes that "times" changes too. Happy Riding!

Are you planning on dropping it again this year. I'll be in CT over Dec/Jan and would like to ride all the TygerbergMTB trails while I'm there.

Probably not Deanbean. We're still trying to get the day permit arrangements finalised but with each land owner wanting a "slice of the cake" it is looking like it may be a bit expensive to get a day permit if you're going to ride the trails frequently while you are here. That said, if you prefer paying a day permit fee for specific trails, Contermanskloof (currently R30 per day) and Hooggekraal (R30) both can give you a reasonable ride on their own.

I rode down Cobra twice this am, and if anyone is taking relative newbies down there anytime soon, that one section near the bottom where you go over the rock at an angle to the right followed by two small curves and then a turn right is going to catch a few unsuspecting victims! :) (and then we'll be saying it's as bad as Meerendal). What a lovely morning it was!!

If I recall, there is a warning sign at the start of the cobra indicating that it is a black route (will double check it is still in place). Please also bear in mind that IMBA grading has 5 categories of which black is one step short of "pack your parachute" so please don't underestimate it.

http://www.imba.com/resources/maps/trail-difficulty-ratings

Probably not Deanbean. We're still trying to get the day permit arrangements finalised but with each land owner wanting a "slice of the cake" it is looking like it may be a bit expensive to get a day permit if you're going to ride the trails frequently while you are here. That said, if you prefer paying a day permit fee for specific trails, Contermanskloof (currently R30 per day) and Hooggekraal (R30) both can give you a reasonable ride on their own.

Okay, then it'll depend on where I'm staying. Hopefully in that area, then I'll buy membership.

I would like to send some KUDOS to Meerendal. The have mowed around the trail. I was there yesterday afternoon, looks much better and I had a great ride, good work.

The mountain didn't get any smaller, maybe you can look into that!!!!!!!!!!

Jip.......... much better. Great.

Maybe just some attention to the mineshaft to make it novice friendly. The ruts.

And open the epic section.

Thanks

Archived