SANS Parks Tokai MTB price increase

Freex

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, and you arrived in the area ;-)

My arrival normally brings with it a big fall in property values and an exodus :)

Nah, he's in Muizenberg. So there's no chance of the water being infected!

I meant the Southern Suburbs, not just Tokai

Hate to say Tokai isn't THAT upper crust

EDIT: Trust me I used to live there :w00t:

And neither is Glencairn where I stay. Not that we need it to be. We need it affordable.

Are all you Southern Sub boys not just Trust Fund Bums with no motivation to work or do anything other than play and spend time on the hub?  :ph34r:

Are all you Southern Sub boys not just Trust Fund Bums with no motivation to work or do anything other than play and spend time on the hub?  :ph34r:

Guilty of most of that except the trust fund bit.

Ask Marko about the amount of time we waste (productively) when we're waiting for quotes to be sent and calculated. That, and websites... gah.

Are all you Southern Sub boys not just Trust Fund Bums with no motivation to work or do anything other than play and spend time on the hub? :ph34r:

Sorry Hairy my Trust Fund went the way of the Dodo!

“We recognised that when Table Mountain was declared a national park, users that were able to actively enjoy the park would fear being restricted because the focus was now on conserving our unique natural heritage. However, the park embraced the obligation to recreational use by zoning the park according to ecologically significant areas and designating areas for certain recreational activities.  Furthermore, park management engaged with recreational users to develop codes of conduct that would reduce the conflict between users and mitigate impact on the environment.  For example, in some areas dog walking may be separated from cycling, while in other areas dogs are not allowed at all, as in the Cape Point section of the park,” said park manager, Paddy Gordon.

"Embraced the obligation"- hardly

"Engaged with recreational users"- Anybody involved in the initial zoning? As far as I know it was  the hikers who "banished" cyclists to their current locations

"dog walking may be separated from cycling"- more like ban cycling from most areas to appease the god walkers and hikers.

Some of us of FDW have had long discussions with TMNP personnel about the new prices that are bound to upset some park users. But you may feel that after so many years the raise is not unreasonable and the funds go towards this park and not to SANPARKS as happens with the national wild cards. We pointed out that the greatest burden falls on couples and families who may walk the family dog individually and currently would each require to buy their own card. TMNP has agreed to work on discounted rates for couples, families and pensioners and they need to do this forthwith. We also raised the unfairness for residents of Scarborough and Noordhoek who only take their dogs to their local beach and not ever to Silvermine but are still required to buy an activity card. Park managers have agreed to engage with those local ratepayers' associations to negotiate a special rate for these local people.

This is from a dog walkers website in 2011. It would be interesting to find out whether anything ever happened about these discounts and special rates.

“We recognised that when Table Mountain was declared a national park, users that were able to actively enjoy the park would fear being restricted because the focus was now on conserving our unique natural heritage. However, the park embraced the obligation to recreational use by zoning the park according to ecologically significant areas and designating areas for certain recreational activities.  Furthermore, park management engaged with recreational users to develop codes of conduct that would reduce the conflict between users and mitigate impact on the environment.  For example, in some areas dog walking may be separated from cycling, while in other areas dogs are not allowed at all, as in the Cape Point section of the park,” said park manager, Paddy Gordon.

"Embraced the obligation"- hardly

"Engaged with recreational users"- Anybody involved in the initial zoning? As far as I know it was  the hikers who "banished" cyclists to their current locations

"dog walking may be separated from cycling"- more like ban cycling from most areas to appease the god walkers and hikers.

Some of us of FDW have had long discussions with TMNP personnel about the new prices that are bound to upset some park users. But you may feel that after so many years the raise is not unreasonable and the funds go towards this park and not to SANPARKS as happens with the national wild cards. We pointed out that the greatest burden falls on couples and families who may walk the family dog individually and currently would each require to buy their own card. TMNP has agreed to work on discounted rates for couples, families and pensioners and they need to do this forthwith. We also raised the unfairness for residents of Scarborough and Noordhoek who only take their dogs to their local beach and not ever to Silvermine but are still required to buy an activity card. Park managers have agreed to engage with those local ratepayers' associations to negotiate a special rate for these local people.

This is from a dog walkers website in 2011. It would be interesting to find out whether anything ever happened about these discounts and special rates.

All I see is a lot of talk and empty promises.

Newlands forest has such a great potential to be a premier MTB facility but it has been designated only for dog walkers. I understand that SAN Parks have done that as the pine tree area has no environmental consequence.  If we can do some sort of swap maybe the lower Rhodes where our newly acquired single track is, we could have a great link along the upper region.

A MTB park at Newlands would be a great income generator for SAN parks.

I just got a email from a friend of a friend...

"Well done to to SAN Parks in raising the day permits fee and about time too. It really irks me to see the type of Riff Raff that the park attracts lately and I hope that this will deter them from visiting it in the future. As you know my estate is nearby and I there just too many of these testosterone bike types on the road. I just wish they raise the price even more and it may even the deter the middle class plebs from Meadowridge or Diepriver.

Yours Reginald"

yep... testosterone is bursting from the lycra seams!

too much testosterone D:

Newlands forest has such a great potential to be a premier MTB facility but it has been designated only for dog walkers. I understand that SAN Parks have done that as the pine tree area has no environmental consequence.  If we can do some sort of swap maybe the lower Rhodes where our newly acquired single track is, we could have a great link along the upper region.

A MTB park at Newlands would be a great income generator for SAN parks.

Don't even go there. It will never happen.

I am asking for 1 jeep track as a transit link through Newlands . The ranger in charge of the area resigned at the end of last month, so there is new face to deal with. Basically start from scratch.

Newlands is a trail sharing opportunity. We don't want to take over.

I'd love a skills / bridge area to be built in Tokai.  The one that I went on at Whistler was amazing!  Very technical, difficult to get just right but when you get it, it feels amazing!  

Some very narrow, some wide, some with see-saw pieces, some where very slow speed balance is needed - something for everyone, but loads of fun.

Once it's built there would be minimal ground impact, and having something like that would for sure bring people in.

Chances of this happening?  The way I see it now, almost zero...

But it would be nice.   :whistling:

post-50271-0-58717900-1415187692_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-70028700-1415187698_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-42632200-1415187708_thumb.jpg

post-50271-0-65809300-1415187709_thumb.jpg

Archived