SANS Parks Tokai MTB price increase

Freex

Ja, but really any weekend thereafter will work as well should there not be time before Monday. Have a 5 hour road ride on Saturday, other than that, open..

Yeah, also want to check out Nixon's place, saw Marko post about it. Would like to compare it to the pump track just opened at Bloemendal, the amount of skills I've learnt going around it only 5 times or so is incredible!

Awesome. And yes, I know Mark's work, and it's golden...

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Omega Man

Ja, but really any weekend thereafter will work as well should there not be time before Monday. Have a 5 hour road ride on Saturday, other than that, open..

Yeah, also want to check out Nixon's place, saw Marko post about it. Would like to compare it to the pump track just opened at Bloemendal, the amount of skills I've learnt going around it only 5 times or so is incredible!

Chris has built something really sweet. A nice learner pump track with space between the rollers and a little tight guy. There's also a line of 3 sets of learner jumps from really small to sort of waist high. Really worth a visit IMO.

Chris has built something really sweet. A nice learner pump track with space between the rollers and a little tight guy. There's also a line of 3 sets of learner jumps from really small to sort of waist high. Really worth a visit IMO.

Cool. Is there a website or contact details to check when open, where, etc?

Search for Chris Nixon Cycling Academy on FB.

It really is worth it and a workout in itself. A few PT laps and you are puffing like mad. I felt better on my bike when doing one of my usual trails after a session at the track. Basically I tried to pump everything :-)

Search for Chris Nixon Cycling Academy on FB.

It really is worth it and a workout in itself. A few PT laps and you are puffing like mad. I felt better on my bike when doing one of my usual trails after a session at the track. Basically I tried to pump everything :-)

Thanks, I did end up finding them and have also been around a few times. Super tiring on the legs as you say, but well worth it.. The amount I learnt in one day going around the sections was amazing.

Had a look at Chris's setup at Uitsig.. it is quite rad and he mentioned his plans for expansion which seem quite cool. A wealthy farmer who is prepared to pump money into it makes all the difference.

I find it still needs some work for the XC stuff, track is a bit small, although will have you huffing and puffing on the first lap. Some of the drop in lines for the bigger jumps need to be reworked as it forces a certain traffic flow, which goes against the intended flow. All teething issues and the plans sound good.

I think i need to source a smaller bike now.. my 29r just doesnt feel right doing that stuff.

Had a look at Chris's setup at Uitsig.. it is quite rad and he mentioned his plans for expansion which seem quite cool. A wealthy farmer who is prepared to pump money into it makes all the difference.

I find it still needs some work for the XC stuff, track is a bit small, although will have you huffing and puffing on the first lap. Some of the drop in lines for the bigger jumps need to be reworked as it forces a certain traffic flow, which goes against the intended flow. All teething issues and the plans sound good.

I think i need to source a smaller bike now.. my 29r just doesnt feel right doing that stuff.

Yeah, definitely some sections that can be rework, like you said, the drop in for the three sizes table tops goes against/through the flow of the mini pump track. Speaking to his daughter she said that he was talking of building a stand alone high drop in for them soon.

He did also mention to me a long (couple KM) XC track that will border the entire plot is coming soon. As well as a long jump line running from top to bottom of the plot..

I ended up locking out my shock as it just felt better on the jumps, but I too am looking for a alternate bike, probably a proper jump bike.

A 1.5km XC track is in the works.

Agree on the bike - my 150mm beast felt like a burden - at least it has small wheels though. A Giant STP is a good jump/pump bike.

Hoping he puts in a couple of meaty drop offs to test the nerve a bit.

A 1.5km XC track is in the works.

You're right, he did mention that, including a rock garden and some better drops.

Really look forward to it.

Membership cards are in the works I believe.

Anybody have a large trials bike I can borrow? :P

You're right, he did mention that, including a rock garden and some better drops.

Really look forward to it.

Membership cards are in the works I believe.

Anybody have a large trials bike I can borrow? :P

The membership cards will arrive soon from what I can gather and will be available as individual and a discounted family rate.

Jonkers just has more. More options, more trail, more scope for building and a more approachable party who holds sway over the land.

In terms of terrain - Jonkers has a different type of soil structure (more clay-like) and can hold a trail better when it comes to erosion etc.

In terms of technicality - much the same, really. It's just that Jonkers offers more trail. Quite a bit more trail, tbh.

Thanks Mayhem. Good to know. Sorry for the late reply. Didn't check the thread until today.

Perhaps not the right place, but since it relates to SANParks and their Wild Card.......

I stopped getting a yearly family Wild Card a few years back when their Infinity managed card system went belly up and SANParks took over to run their card system themselves. The service and the process of buying the card was so frustrating that it just made it a grudge buy.

However, since I plan to visit some of their parks in this year, I decided about 3 months ago to go to the SANParks office in Tokai and get the card from there, in person, like I get my cycling Activity card. So, I fill in the forms, take all the documents, pay my money.....all good and efficient.......then I get a receipt and a promise that my card will arrive in the mail 6 weeks later!

Six weeks later I phone SANParks........post office strike they say. How can you be dumb enough to send something via them when you know they are trashing mail? Try, try again.......they'll send another one........three months down the line I get a slip notifying me to collect the card from my post office, but when I get there they cannot find the card anywhere.

I feel like giving up on them again! And out of protest don't renew my Activity card that is expiring soon! (I'm normally a SANParks supporter)

Perhaps not the right place, but since it relates to SANParks and their Wild Card.......

I stopped getting a yearly family Wild Card a few years back when their Infinity managed card system went belly up and SANParks took over to run their card system themselves. The service and the process of buying the card was so frustrating that it just made it a grudge buy.

However, since I plan to visit some of their parks in this year, I decided about 3 months ago to go to the SANParks office in Tokai and get the card from there, in person, like I get my cycling Activity card. So, I fill in the forms, take all the documents, pay my money.....all good and efficient.......then I get a receipt and a promise that my card will arrive in the mail 6 weeks later!

Six weeks later I phone SANParks........post office strike they say. How can you be dumb enough to send something via them when you know they are trashing mail? Try, try again.......they'll send another one........three months down the line I get a slip notifying me to collect the card from my post office, but when I get there they cannot find the card anywhere.

I feel like giving up on them again! And out of protest don't renew my Activity card that is expiring soon! (I'm normally a SANParks supporter)

Thats weird....apart from the PO strike

We have never had a problem with our cards.We use them a lot because we are forever going into the Parks around the country.Things like the Otter trail etc can become quite expensive without the cards

Archived