29er Tyre combo

Mopkop

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever you do, DONT buy spez spaz rubber, it's heavy and useless imo

Ignore this drivel.

Just ripped open rear saguaro.. Need bombproof combo in 2.3 -2.4. Keen to give saguaro another go because its been great, and was pretty rough section. Don't care if heavy, want strength and grip for more trail orientated riding. Suggestions for front tyre?

Maxxis Ardent UST would be good for this. I prefer my Purgatory/Ground Control setup for its performance but the UST Ardents are almost as good and very much tougher. They are heavier though...about 900g ea for 2.25x29 Ideally you want to use them on a UST or TCS compatible rim.

Spaz Butcher. Since my last post above I'm running them both front and rear. Brilliant tyres and don't cost the earth.

Tom

Maxxis Ardent UST would be good for this. I prefer my Purgatory/Ground Control setup for its performance but the UST Ardents are almost as good and very much tougher. They are heavier though...about 900g ea for 2.25x29 Ideally you want to use them on a UST or TCS compatible rim.

Cheers for suggestions. I'm already overwhelmed enough with choice, so I'm sticking to LBS stocked brands. Schwalbe, Maxxis, Geax/Vittoria and Conti. 

Keeping with Saguaro on rear, I'm thinking either Maxxis Ardent (UST) 2.4 on the front, or Conti Trail King (Protection) in 2.4.

Which of those would grip better when going gets rocky, jagged and slippery?

And will the Trail King let me down after a bit of rain on a slippery root (what I've read on some review, somewhere).

There is way too much choice here.. just want tyres I can forget about and ride!

And will the Trail King let me down after a bit of rain on a slippery root (what I've read on some review, somewhere).

Slippery roots are the bain of most all round MTB tyres.

Yestersday was quite a muddy affair at VG on the tant miems downhill section on the way to daggapad, and Everyone had issues on slipperry roots, stones and muddy sections of the trail.

Also think how much actual wet weather riding you will be doing vs regular good condition riding.

True, Cape conditions are generally pretty good until May/June. Even then its not so bad.

Think it will come down to which ever comes in cheaper.

Archived