Cyclist down in Durbanville

Bernard Horn

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dammit. I get a knot in my stomach every time I see another post in the Latest Forum box.  Not good, really not good.

I agree with the fund (if well managed). keep me posted.

Funeral arrangements. Friday @15:00 NG KERK SONSTRAAL. :(  :(

Any idea if it will be open to everyone.  I will be there if it is.  (I wouldn't think it is restricted, just want to make sure).

Any idea if it will be open to everyone.  I will be there if it is.  (I wouldn't think it is restricted, just want to make sure).

Will find out.

Speedy feed back from De Broglio, They only take on Personal Injury cases.  :eek:  :eek: So if I get knocked off my bike and break or loose an limb, its not personal injury. WTF, any legal hubbers willing to steer me in the right direction.  

Sad news but unfortunately this rider's death will be lost in the stats with the 1000s of others that die on our roads each year.

If we want safety on our roads we need simple laws to be introduced and enforced. Rules like stricter licensing tests, demerit points for speeding, running red lights/stop signs, dangerous driving, illegal overtaking, etc. And then mandatory jail time for drink driving or driving without a licence.

Its not rocket science, just copy the road rules we are missing from any country in the world and enforce them here and we will have better safety on our roads for cyclists and motorists.

At least since the 1.5m campaign, as a cyclist you can now be jailed for up to a year for riding two abreast.

So that all helps ....

Speedy feed back from De Broglio, They only take on Personal Injury cases.  :eek:  :eek: So if I get knocked off my bike and break or loose an limb, its not personal injury. WTF, any legal hubbers willing to steer me in the right direction.  

As I heard it - your insurers will pay for your bike, and your medical (if you have it) for injuries up to whatever limits you have. My understanding is the only person you can sue for injuries is the Road Accident Fund - which is beauracratic, slow, and bankrupt.

Bizarre as it seems - traffic laws in SA actually prevent you from suing the individual who cause the accident. Apparently, contrary to the rest of the world, they cannot be held accountable financially.

Edit - as I say though, that's my understanding of things. I am not a lawyer!

At least since the 1.5m campaign, as a cyclist you can now be jailed for up to a year for riding two abreast.

So that all helps ....

HI there, so is the reg confirmed for the so called bakkie that hit our fellow rider? My wife and I were on the road going out that way, we must have turned around 1km before where the accident happened and happened at that time. A white Isuzu Double cab bakkie drove slowly by us, then stopped in front of us. Guy got out, looked rattled and in shock, asked if we had a friend riding behind us because a guy was lying in road not moving and said he looked dead. He didn't mention that he was struck by anyone, at the time we didn't think it odd f him but now chatting to my wife this morning it did seem very odd and suspicious! Please if someone can definitely confirm that reg number was taken, please let me know. 

translated...I dont think I will be able to fleece the road accident fund with these  :whistling:

HI there, so is the reg confirmed for the so called bakkie that hit our fellow rider? My wife and I were on the road going out that way, we must have turned around 1km before where the accident happened and happened at that time. A white Isuzu Double cab bakkie drove slowly by us, then stopped in front of us. Guy got out, looked rattled and in shock, asked if we had a friend riding behind us because a guy was lying in road not moving and said he looked dead. He didn't mention that he was struck by anyone, at the time we didn't think it odd f him but now chatting to my wife this morning it did seem very odd and suspicious! Please if someone can definitely confirm that reg number was taken, please let me know. 

Would you be able to compose a sketch of him. Was the isuzu Bakkie old or new, was he young or old. That might be the one. If you think that you could assist in compiling his face lets the saps at Durbanville know so that they can get the sketch artists from the forensic dept contact you. 

Told my wife last night after hearing the sad news that i`d rather go back to my weight of 106kg than get knocked over. :cursing:  :nuke:

Or just stay on the trails boetie

There is something seriously wrong in the world when 'people' (if that's what we can call these types) can seemingly get off with almost no consequence in taking another person's life so callously and leaving them to die next to the road.

Is the law that messed up with what you can legally prove that these type of events are non starters in the legal world?

Still trying to figure out how the chap described in DTF's account went to bed last night knowing he had removed from this life someone's father and husband....

Archived