Scared on a mountain bike

ycowley

Thanks everyone.

I will get the book and read it and then get out there and practice. 

Then I will also look into a skill's clinic.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good news is that you have identified your weaknesses and want to improve. That means you will improve with time and patience.

Firstly,

You need to get used to the sensation of speed on the road bike. Hopefully it is set up correctly to not feel twitchy. Pick a long hill and aim to go faster than you have been before.

A few things to remember:

Stand with weight on the pedals. All bikes are more stable when you do this as you are effectively lowering the centre of gravity of yourself and the bike.

Look ahead. I know it sounds like common sense but some people become fixated on the road just ahead of your wheel. The faster you go the further ahead you need to look.

Brakes. While you are braking you are making the bike unstable. So lay off the brakes as much as possible but control speed where necessary by braking like you mean it. Ie. no feathering.

When it comes to MTB skills the above applies even more. It's best to ride with someone skilled who can show you the basics and correct mistakes or bad habits. Focus on one thing at a time until you are comfortable.

Remember: skills don't just happen. It's learning correct technique and then practicing it until you can doit so well it's boring. A bit like learning a musical instrument.

Good luck.

Even once you are over all your fears, you will most probably fall.. its the nature of the game..

I took a nice tumble this morning, rookie mistake, on the road bike, turned on a wet patch in the road at 30km\hr and went down like brick.. nice roasties and banged up bike from the fall...

but, I will get back on the bike..

keep going and ask more experienced mates for advise.. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone.

I will get the book and read it and then get out there and practice. 

Then I will also look into a skill's clinic.

Good idea. When you are ready I do offer skills clinics.

Know what you mean.

And the bugger with fear is that you tighten up, you hold the bars with a death grip, lock your elbows and knees... which all makes falling off an almost certainty.

I find talking (shouting sometimes) to myself while I'm riding helps, 'look where you want to go', 'loosen up', 'use your hips'.

Sometimes there is a lot of swearing in these monologues. But it helps to kick me out of my fear zone.

I have a mortal fear of a front wheel washaway. I moered the ground flippin hard like that a year back. So now I tend to not put any weight on the front wheel which leads.... to more front wheel washaways...

Sometimes MTBiking feels like two steps forwards and three steps back. But I still love it.

+1 and spot on, elbow size of knee twice in two months

Hahahaha...you better hope it is a good day for us at 139 on Saturday then. :ph34r:

It seems when we go to a place and the riders have a general crap day (punctures / crashes / cant get sections right as they want / if I'm too scared to do what I went to do) then we dont return there for a couple of weeks. :blush:  We haven't been there in ages. (Only been Thaba in the last 2 months, others did HK).

I will let you know though.

thaba is a great place to train & ride IMO it's pretty damn hard. Have done loop A&B about 5 times but walked a lot of it. The more often I do it the less I walk and the less I k$k myself.

Just have to keep going back to the stuff that makes you nervous,because as soon as you ride something you thought you couldn't you gain confidence to take on the next .

And when you fall,it's just a reminder to tell you your not infallible.

Look up look ahead and most important look through the corner,not where you think your going to crash.

Watch the trail and mentally draw a line where you want the front wheel to roll. Your balance and steering will automatically line up on that.

Dont look at obstacles like trees rocks holes that scare you because then you will line up on them and hit them. Practice until it comes naturally and good luck.

If you need some pro help, maybe consider doing a Tread Skills Clinic. 

They'll show you the ropes and give you some good advice. 

Straight out speed downhill on dirt road scares me, too many unknown factors, such as loose gravel on corners, potholes, etc.

I was on a group ride 3 weeks ago and I was always the last on the downhill dirt roads. My feeling was more that I was not prepared to take the risk.

However I know that if we had been riding technical track , I am far more prepared to take some risks.

What did help me was riding the same track again to increase confidence.

Likewise back to a section/ jump/drop where you have crashed, not always easy to do this.

thaba is a great place to train & ride IMO it's pretty damn hard. Have done loop A&B about 5 times but walked a lot of it. The more often I do it the less I walk and the less I k$k myself.

Just have to keep going back to the stuff that makes you nervous,because as soon as you ride something you thought you couldn't you gain confidence to take on the next .

And when you fall,it's just a reminder to tell you your not infallible.

Look up look ahead and most important look through the corner,not where you think your going to crash.

A & B? You talking about the DH lines? (that is what we ride when we go there)

Fear is a good thing, I have seen too many "heroes" get carried out of a gorge. Rather ride within yourself and not feel the need to prove yourself to the other riders. If you want to walk then walk that section. Rather ride to the end of the ride in comfort than get airlifted out.

A & B? You talking about the DH lines? (that is what we ride when we go there)

Not sure if they are the downhill lines....Amon,heartbreak hill etc ?

Character

Character

Character

Character

Character

OK now that we have got this correct :)

You are wrong Mousea. 

caricature is a rendered image showing the features of its subject in a simplified or exaggerated way. Usually a drawing/comic presentation. 

Carry on....

Watch the trail and mentally draw a line where you want the front wheel to roll. Your balance and steering will automatically line up on that.

Dont look at obstacles like trees rocks holes that scare you because then you will line up on them and hit them. Practice until it comes naturally and good luck.

All the above plus: do not look at your front wheel, try looking further down the track, even around the next corner. A picture will start to form in your head of the trail ahead, and your body and bike will instinctively follow. Also learn to trust your momentum. It is amazing what a MTB can roll over with the right amount of momentum.

Practice basic skills in a safe environment. Learn to ride up or down a kerb, practice balance at slow speed (track-stand), learn to ride over a log, learn to bunny hop etc, etc. You can practice this at home and it will increase your confidence next time you hit the trails.

Good luck!

Archived