Rear derailleurs for 1x10 conversion

Heenan

I need some help on choosing  a new rear derailleurs. For  1x10 conversion I currently have a rapide narrow wide chainring and a normal XT derailleurs. I have dropped the chain on a few occasions so I'm going to get a clutch derailleur  and I'm not sure which is the best clutch derailleur to get. I would like to stick with Shimano and iv looked at the zee and XT derailleurs which is better?  

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zee is limited to a 36t sprocket on the rear end as it is gravity oriented. That's if yiu go for the wide range version.

Imo you can't go wrong with slx, especially with some of the pricing of local online stores. Easy to service and rugged enough.

Im going to go with the Zee after reading many reviews and giving it lots of thought. It is short cage though so can only run up to a 36t. Hence if you want to run a 42 on your cassette you will need the XT.

Edit: CPT beat me too it. Also the Zee is crazy cheap on CRC atm and you get an extra 10% off components. Get your whole drivetrain from them, ship using DHL and ka-ching, you should be sorted!

There are a few options.

Both SRAM and Shimano clutch derailleurrs are good. I am very happy with XT since quite a while.

If you want to add a 42t cog to your cassette at any time (most likely you will because it makes lots of sense) you will be faced with the fact that normal 10x derailleur are not made to deal with the geometry of this wide range cassette. Both can be 'forced' to work (overextend the b-screw) but this will decrease the crispiness of the shifting to some extent, especially in the lower gears. The SRAM unit deals with the abuse a bit better than the native XT, but since I converted my XT medium cage derailleur with the OneUp "Rad Cage" shifting is (almost) back to normal XT crispiness. This after market mod will only work with the XT Shadow Plus medium cage derailleur, not with the Zee.

By now there may be more options out there since this niche is developing quite fast...

Thanks for all the advice. Just checking as far as chain drop is concerned is their a difference between the 2 and slx?

Thanks for all the advice. Just checking as far as chain drop is concerned is their a difference between the 2 and slx?

no. It's the same clutch mechanism, as far as I know. Plus the bits are readily replaceable and customisable ito clutch sensitivity. 

Hey fellow 'boscher! Just a hint: I did my conversion 3 weeks ago: 32T (RaceFace NW) x 11-36. I kept my "normal" / non-clutch XT long cage derailleur - wanting to save up for a clutch conversion. But so far, there have been no chain drops. I've done some mad rooty and rocky sections with no chain drops! :thumbup:  ...only the very familiar and annoying chainslap!

My advice is to check the chain tension. On all the 1x10 conversion forums and threads this topic always pop up.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a new derailleur - but just check the chain tension  ;)

I have been running 1x10 for about 4 months with a normal XT derailleur and correct chain length (I did read up on chain length on the hub :thumbup: ). I drop the chain from time to time but not very often. And have I have saved up enough for the next upgrade

I'm running a clutch SLX on my Titus with the Rapide NW upfront. Haven't had a single chain drop and that bike is used on some gnarly terrain.

Had a Zee for 1560km no chain drop. Running 36t 11-36 cassette. Busy testing a locally made "Kitted wondering" Nw in 34t and 32t great local product, great price R450 and after +300km no drop or shifting issues.

Kept my Sram X0 long cage non clutch Der and have never looked back. Just shortened the chain as per the requirements.

Chain drop on 1x10 shouldn't happen easily if you have NW and correct chain length. I think I've dropped mine once in a year, and that was when the chain was too long. A clutch derailleur can help, but it's not essential.

Archived