Budget conscious newbie buying a Raleigh MTB from Makro

BLADE_RSA

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the reasons given so far are not the truth as to the reason why you should not buy the Raleigh. The real reason is the guys don't want you to be laughed at when you are riding that thing on any trail frequented by guys and gals on proper bikes......they were just protecting your feelings.......

I know it's none of my business, so you don't need to answer or gives reasons how it came to this. but you're really considering swapping a harley for a makro special raleigh?!?!?!?!?!?

i think that is a downgrade only oscar could fathom.

I dunno hey.... I'd rather people saw me on a Makro Raleigh than on a Harley......

I think he made the right choice  :thumbup:

That's not a bike, it's a BSO (bike shaped object), and is not what you can ride on the trails. It'll break and break you.

I saved a mate from a bso, his wife wanted to buy him for his birthday. A R2k special from Kalahari.

Go second hand and upgrade as time passes! Almost guaranteed what you buy now is not what you will settle on. There is too much choice, Dual Suss, Hardtail, 26, 650, 29er.

By an entry level secondhand, get into riding then save and get what is going to suit you most

What DPG said. I started with a GT Avalanche 2.0, then onto a Giant NRS2. I now own a 150mm trail bike and a downhill bike. Truth be told though when I was shopping, I only had three choices: A XC hardtail, a XC full sus or a DH bike (and the guys that rode downhill bikes were certifiable loons). Aaaahhhh the good old days  :whistling:

Nowadays...... So many different sub categories....

What DPG said. I started with a GT Avalanche 2.0, then onto a Giant NRS2. I now own a 150mm trail bike and a downhill bike. Truth be told though when I was shopping, I only had three choices: A XC hardtail, a XC full sus or a DH bike (and the guys that rode downhill bikes were certifiable loons). Aaaahhhh the good old days  :whistling:

Nowadays...... So many different sub categories....

Yep. Nigel isn't all there... He has rocks in his head.

The last time I walked into makro there were at least 10 of those 'dual sus 29ers'

Clearly there has to be a market for this ***.

I can only assume that the poor souls who actually buy them simply don't know any better.

Its a good thing you had the sense to come here first before parting with your money.

Remember, you will need to reserve a part of your budget for a helmet and some decent padded shorts. They are essential. So I'd try and stretch that budget a bit.

A few rides later you may want gloves and a breathable vest that doesn't soak up sweat like a cotton t-shirt.

Motorcycling has to be a far more expensive indulgence than mountain biking.

Especially if you had a Harley! If you sold your bike why not sell the gear too?

I've learned to stop hording things I don't use. Its just money laying around.

At one point I had 4 bikes, 6 surfboards and 4 wetsuits.

Now I have 2 of each and the stuff I sold off amounted to quite a bit of unexpected extra cash.

Buy a lekker second hand bike here. 

You may find 2nd hand gear here too.

Good luck man

I started off with a hard tail second hand from LBS , then changed to a Full Suspension 26er frame purchased off the Hub and now riding a 29er. Best  gradual transition made !

Nothing wrong with a good specced second hand bike as many hubbers have said before you will find a decent bike here on the Hub

Happy Hunting and here's to many kms on the saddle ......

Yep. Nigel isn't all there... He has rocks in his head.

The first DH bike that I saw in the flesh was Nige's red Spaz leaning against the counter at Leigh's. Looked like a pedal powered MX bike.

I blame him.......

As everyone has stated. Look around for good second hand deals. Good deals do pop up.

I sold one of my bikes last year for R5000.

It was a 2010 BMC Fourstroke with Fox front and rear suspension, full XT spec excluding the brakes which were Elixir R. With Shimano MT55 wheels. Bike was in very good nic and I sold it in 10min.

I could have gotten more for it but I just needed that amount to make up for a new purchase so I let it go.

Look around and something decent will come up.

Happy riding

my first (and current) Merida MTB came out with Merida Race tyres. Standing in the shop i was told that they will put some slime in my tubes and then i should be ok.

that didn't work for me at all.

i got so frustrated with punctures, that i was forced to go tubeless.

So i upgraded. had to do the full conversion (tyres, valves, sludge and labour costs) as my tyres weren't tubeless-ready. 

only after i did that, did i really start enjoying mountain biking.

my maxiss crossmark tyres are quite heavy but can go through/over anything to date.

i still remember my old tyres - i use to cycle exactly in the middle of the foot paths cause i was just so scared of punctures. 

so if my Merida Race tyres got punctures on the trails, i think the Makro tyres will give you punctures on the tar...

so ja, keep this in mind as the full conversion can cost you anything from R1500 - R2000.

Edited by boristheblade