Mushrooms

Mousea

Fly Agaric. Ha ha, eating just the right amount of this will make you think you are chief of WADA, a beautiful girl with gills, a boy with a tail and the winner of the TdeF all at the same time. Eating too much, well, that will be the end of you all. :(

Took the family out mushrooming this arvie. Picked up a few field mushrooms, and one boletus. Found a few more tiny boletes, but left them. I hope the bushpigs don't find them tonight.

No pine rings yet though.

When do you start finding them in the WC DJR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the family out mushrooming this arvie. Picked up a few field mushrooms, and one boletus. Found a few more tiny boletes, but left them. I hope the bushpigs don't find them tonight.

No pine rings yet though.

When do you start finding them in the WC DJR

Pine Rings from May to August

Various Boletus species May to September

Chicken of the Woods February to April

• 4 months later...

Chicken of the Woods from Hout Bay, it goes with the Argus, because we find it this time of year and it makes for a delicious vegetarian pasta, because it tastes like chicken (for us carnivores).

post-17716-0-18514500-1426921937_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

My lucky day - great Chappies ride first - and now THIS - Boletus Edulis - a BIG one - That knife is a full size hunting knife! See, I knew all we needed was a proper Cape winter!  :thumbup:

post-17716-0-46914300-1593344097_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

My lucky day - great Chappies ride first - and now THIS - Boletus Edulis - a BIG one - That knife is a full size hunting knife! See, I knew all we needed was a proper Cape winter!  :thumbup:

You say that but I think stellenbosch is still below par for this time of year. Technically we (at least here in stellenbosch) have not had an above-average rainfall year since 2014. Thankfully The previous two years were close enough to the average (and people changed their behavior enough) that our big dams are in great shape again.

Anyway, this is a thread about mushrooms not hydrology and that is a monster you found. Those and pine rings are some of the only ones I'd happily forage and eat. The rest either don't taste nice enough, or taste great but could be easily confused with something dangerous.

More luck. Pine Rings, the very best rings after chain rings ;) . Omelette time!

I have so many where I live including the hallucinogens but I’m clueless - Seems risky but I love mushrooms - really need to get clued up otherwise I could end up tripping or puking

I have so many where I live including the hallucinogens but I’m clueless - Seems risky but I love mushrooms - really need to get clued up otherwise I could end up tripping or puking

Leave your Colnago Master to me in your will and I'll teach you about wild mushrooms :ph34r:

• 6 months later...

First chicken of the woods of 2021. As fresh as they come. In Cecilia Forest. All out in the open for the world and the hordes of hikers to see. I cannot fathom why nobody picked them until we got there just before dark. Well, Lucky shouldn't complain, right?! 

post-17716-0-02687400-1611254772_thumb.jpg

I saw a tree load of that on my ride to Kirstenbosch today, still on the Constantia nek route directly above the Cecilia area. Still commented how cool it looked. Didn't realize it was edible!

I saw a tree load of that on my ride to Kirstenbosch today, still on the Constantia nek route directly above the Cecilia area. Still commented how cool it looked. Didn't realize it was edible!

That's exactly where we found them. We took only what we could use right away because they don't last well and left the rest for others.