Germiston 5150

ADe

I haven't been called a youngster in many a moon, so thank you kindly Dear Sir's

Maybe you "Ballies" (Luckily not my word so i can't be held accountable as a snot nose "Youngster" of today :devil: ) can help us novices here please. I see its a no drafting event, and that if in the draft the cyclist has to complete the overtaking move in a certain time frame.

attachicon.gifDrafting.png

What happens if you enter the draft zone of the rider in front with the intention of passing but then either you start going down hill or you run out of steam or you are maintaining your pace but the guy in front has found some extra vooma and now you can pass him anymore? do you pull to the side or do you have to back off out of the Draft zone and stay there till the end of the race?

This version of the rule is new (my first experience of it was in Durban) in that you can now effectively sling shot the guy you are passing - so its actually a lot easier than used to be to complete a pass (you used to have to move out before completing the move in a certain time period).   Because you are now drafting until you pass you are unlikely to run out of steam given you were presumably moving quicker already before entering the draft zone. 

If for some reason you can't complete the move, drop back but make it obvious (i.e. don't sit a couple of metres off the wheel) and I am pretty sure the ref's will be pragmatic about it.  Same applies if the road suddenly tilts upwards, or at sharp bends - some bunching up will always happen here and ref's will not be unreasonable. 

To the letter though I believe you should complete the move having made that initial decision to pass...  so if on a flattish (or downhill section) if you make the decision, get it done

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This version of the rule is new (my first experience of it was in Durban) in that you can now effectively sling shot the guy you are passing - so its actually a lot easier than used to be to complete a pass (you used to have to move out before completing the move in a certain time period).   Because you are now drafting until you pass you are unlikely to run out of steam given you were presumably moving quicker already before entering the draft zone. 

If for some reason you can't complete the move, drop back but make it obvious (i.e. don't sit a couple of metres off the wheel) and I am pretty sure the ref's will be pragmatic about it.  Same applies if the road suddenly tilts upwards, or at sharp bends - some bunching up will always happen here and ref's will not be unreasonable. 

To the letter though I believe you should complete the move having made that initial decision to pass...  so if on a flattish (or downhill section) if you make the decision, get it done

Really not a fan of this new rule.

I'm in for the race next month.

Person passing me better hope I'm not peeing on the bike when he enters the draft zone

Don't sweat the drafting rules too much. Unless you challenging for the win the refs are realistic on us age groupers. As previous poster mentioned don't sit and suck wheel but if you attempt a pass and cant pull it off just back off.

The refs are normally very fair around this and reality is that with 1200 athletes on a 40 km course there are bound to be athletes close to each other.

Just got back from a swim at the local pool. I am in big trouble :eek:

Don't stress too much. I read somewhere on this forum someone once mentioned that the swim is just a warm up for a long day. The same sorta goes for the 5150. The swim is not that tough to finish, however saying that, you need to be confident that you'll atleast finish the swim irrelevant of how long it would take you. The swim can be the easiest part of your day or very quickly ruin your race if you start hyperventilating and stressing in the water.

Don't know if this is your first 5150, but the most important advice I can give you is to do an open water swim before the race. Open water and swimming pool are two completely different things. Your first time out in open water shouldn't be on race day. I made that mistake and I almost couldn't finish a 500m swim on race day even though I put in allot of training in the pool.

Good luck!

Don't stress too much. I read somewhere on this forum someone once mentioned that the swim is just a warm up for a long day. The same sorta goes for the 5150. The swim is not that tough to finish, however saying that, you need to be confident that you'll atleast finish the swim irrelevant of how long it would take you. The swim can be the easiest part of your day or very quickly ruin your race if you start hyperventilating and stressing in the water.

Don't know if this is your first 5150, but the most important advice I can give you is to do an open water swim before the race. Open water and swimming pool are two completely different things. Your first time out in open water shouldn't be on race day. I made that mistake and I almost couldn't finish a 500m swim on race day even though I put in allot of training in the pool.

Good luck!

+1

This was very true for me. Did my first Tri this weekend, but had open water swim last weekend to 'test the waters'. It really puts you more at ease if you have gone through the motions.

The swim is the shortest of all disciplines, so would not worry too much about it, if you can swim ok, you will make it!!..... even if you rest, tread water and breast stroke some of it, so try not to get over anxious about the swim... as others say it is the warm up... and you are unlikely to be going for podium.

Doing your first you should be more concerned about pacing yourself and putting all 3 disciplines together... especially the changeover from cycle to run... legs can become jelly/dead and this is likely where you will loose most of the time on the run in comparison to the swim.

If you can and have the time, when you finish a ride, go for a run as quickly as possible after even if is just a 1km run ... just so your body and mind can get use to the changeover

Just got back from a swim at the local pool. I am in big trouble :eek:

how big trouble? Remember you get 70 minutes in the water and if you in one of the first waves you get more time in that no one will stop you from continuing.

Don't sweat the swim. take your time and just keep moving even if slowly. you have more than enough time and if you are going to wear a wetsuit just lie on yr back if want to.... and chill.

if one can swim, can ride a bike and can jog a couple of km's a 5150 is possible so enjoy the event and the time out.

Thanks guys. I have no question that i will finish the swim, albeit very slowly and probably with a lot of breast stroke. I don't have a wetsuit and don't see the point in buying one for this event, if i get more serious with Tri's i will invest in one for the future.

As someone who grew up surfing, snorkelling in Durban I don't fear the open water and totally understand the strengthen of keeping a calm mind out there. so I have that to rely on.

Do you guys use your legs in the swim or do you try save them for the rest of the event?

I have gone for a couple of short 2-3km runs after a session on the trainer and find myself so amped up that i run extremely fast out the blocks, so my plan is to keep close watch on my pace to prevent this and then leave everything i have left on the road in the final 2 km's.

Edit: Spelling :blush:

Thanks guys. I have no question that i will finish the swim, albeit very slowly and probably with a lot of breast stroke. I don't have a wetsuit and don't see the point in buying one for this event, if i get more serious with Tri's i will invest in one for the future.

As someone who grew up surfing, snorkelling in Durban I don't fear the open water and totally understand the strengthen of keeping a calm mind out there. so I have that to rely on.

Do you guys use your legs in the swim or do you try save them for the rest of the event?

I have gone for a couple of short 2-3km runs after a session on the trainer and find myself so amped up that i run extremely fast out the blocks, so my plan is to keep close watch on my pace to prevent this and then leave everything i have left on the road in the final 2 km's.

Save legs during the swim. Two beat kick mainly

In your last point you have hit on something very important about tri.....after riding at 30km/h on the bike running all of a sudden seems slow so the temptation is to leave T2 at full tilt - definitely worth taking the first km or two a little easy to get an idea of how the legs are actually feeling

open water swimming I do not kick at all for propulsion, may kick to keep balance of legs, nothing more. Reality is that the effort to kick hardly translates into any real gains over longer distances.

Gala , pool swimming kind of events where max speed is utmost importance , then yes kick as the gains are worth it...long distance not so especially in long tri's.

but each to his own.

by the way checked the cycle leg from last year...38.95km and 408 metres of gain.

So its going to be wet suit legal right ? :eek:

In the Athlete info guide it said :"The water temperature should be between 18oC & 24,5oC Making the swim wetsuit optional. If the water temperature is below 14oC, wetsuite will be compulsory."

Shaper, Ice Cream man, and the rest whom are doing the 947 next month,

1. How are you guys planning your training for next week?
  2. As well as the week after the event as there will only be one week left after that before the event?
  3. Is either more important than the other for you?

Shaper, Ice Cream man, and the rest whom are doing the 947 next month,

• How are you guys planning your training for next week?
  • As well as the week after the event as there will only be one week left after that before the event?
  • Is either more important than the other for you?
My training will carry on as normal 10 to 12 hours a week. 5150 is a training event and one I do for enjoynet not concerned about time..same for 94.7 ...which I will ride twice ,just training not concerned about times although would love a sub 3 on first lap ..

Week after 5150 I am doing open water event , then. 94.7 and after that I am doing RAC tough one and week after that midlands ultra...my wife loves the fact that I am doing an event every Sunday in November.....not..

If you going to taper I would say do shorter more intense sessions early next week and take Friday and Saturday off completely and lounge around. Maybe a short swim and run on Saturday to get limbs loose and Sunday morning a short swim if they allow it..they normally do.

Archived