The 36One MTB Challenge

TrailWarrior

Guys the hardest and most strenous  training that we must do is to train the muscle between our ears (brain).The 36ONE is much tougher mentally than physically.

By that I'm not implying that it is not physically tough but 02h00 in the morning you have to talk to yourself and when you tackle Rooiberg with 290km in your legs you have to be mentally tough to go through it.

Listening to the training that you have put in I believe you guys would be fine......if you ride clever and conservatively,eat and drink enough,do not just use sweet stuff but make sure you have something salty to eat as well not get caught up in the hype of the start and start chasing we will meet one another on Sunday morning at the prize giving with a Cape Brewing Company bottle in our hands.

Now relax and enjoy.

Oh my goodness I have to go an train now gotta stop talking :lol:

Thanks the wise words Cejay, now let me go train too!

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentally tough yes. Last year from about midnight until 4am I was more or less on my own.

Thank heavens I had decided last minute to throw in my I Pod (although I don't think it is allowed)

Mentally tough yes. Last year from about midnight until 4am I was more or less on my own.

Thank heavens I had decided last minute to throw in my I Pod (although I don't think it is allowed)

Surely a little bit of "high energy" vibe in the ears should be allowed???.... :whistling:

I didn't see another cyclist from the first check point at 80km till I pulled in to the 180km checkpoint, that was 5 odd hours alone with just quick hellos at water tables between. The worst thing for me was at about 4am my light died and I had forgot to grab my spare at checkpoint 1. I could see flashing lights ahead at one stage but I had to take the decents a bit slower. My advise is have a camelback and a bottle and fill both up at every opportunity. I love the idea of "solo" but it does get lonely out there. This year I'm doing a mixed team and my goal is for both of us to finish. My longest ride to date was Attakwas, but I am planning doing consecutive 150km rides on the Easter weekend around the Knysna area. Keep safe and ride smart.

Good luck to everyone taking part in the #Shargus (short Argus) tomorrow!! From there it's one way to the 36One start at Kleinplaas!

Then I should be okay, seeing the 360 as a training ride for the Freedom Challenge....

Show off [emoji85] [emoji6]

Doing a 100km ride tomorrow with lots of climbing - a 140km next Saturday and 2 x 140km rides over Easter weekend with my usual 3 x 90 min rides a week .... Quality of quantity is hopefully going to see me through

I didn't see another cyclist from the first check point at 80km till I pulled in to the 180km checkpoint, that was 5 odd hours alone with just quick hellos at water tables between. The worst thing for me was at about 4am my light died and I had forgot to grab my spare at checkpoint 1. I could see flashing lights ahead at one stage but I had to take the decents a bit slower. My advise is have a camelback and a bottle and fill both up at every opportunity. I love the idea of "solo" but it does get lonely out there. This year I'm doing a mixed team and my goal is for both of us to finish. My longest ride to date was Attakwas, but I am planning doing consecutive 150km rides on the Easter weekend around the Knysna area. Keep safe and ride smart.

Someone posted that there will be no moon this year shining light so DONT forget your light this time, all the best for you race!

M girlfriend and i are tackling Breedts Nek + mini Beedts twice this next weekend Saturday for training. 

Should you be intersted in meeting there at 06:00 for 06:30 please pull in or drop an email.

2 laps of Breedts is a good idea on what your legs will feel like in the 36one ride.

New Moon is on April 18 so it will be a LITTLE dark!!! :eek:

At about 2am or so in the morning i decided to turn my light off, my Helmut light on and my ipod volume up. I was riding a section at about 26km/h and hit sand, the beach sand type. Needless to say it was a quite an unexpected sand pit, my bars twisted and i was high sided off my bike.  I tested the ground hardness as well as had a bit of a taste tester. When i stood up it hit me that i was completely alone and had been for the past few hours. NO ONE was close by me for quite a few Km's. Though everywhere my light shined and amongst the dust there were just ostrich eyes watching me...Im sure they were pissing themselves.

Make sure your lights stay on!

Also watch out for the little kids on the sides of the road, some as young as 4 yrs old were holding puff adders from sticks giggling..take lots of sweets for the kids they will love them and they have seriously NOTHING but the rags they wear.

They will cheer you for you all along the road side and all night long. They will even run next to you for a while if you not going to fast.

Edited by Undun

Last year I ran 1 light on my bars ,this year will take two lights so will have a total of 4 lights taking the wife's lights into consideration.The 1 riding in front will ride with a light,the 1 at the back will follow the red light.

Will not wear a headlight again as neck muscles take a beating.