Hydraulic brakes mineral oil

marshace

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tks Moridin. I see a visit to Goldwagen in my immediate future.

Just make sure you get the correct product. There is also a synthetic variant. Ask for the number I provided in a previous post. That is the mineral variant.

Thanks guys, Brakes worked and are working just fine but I will flush BUT where to get the pink stuff. Previously some kind shop owner decanted some from his stock for me - maybe the route to take or baby oil, or some of the earlier options mentioned here?

order the Shimano stuff on line.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Moridin; Goldwagen acted bemused when I quoted your reference so I probably ended up paying R180 for the wrong stuff.

and thanks JXV; tracked down Evobikes who have the Shimano unicorn blood for R350 per litre exc shipping (about the same as CRC INC SHIPPING).

Maybe that (Shimano) is the way to go - I don't fancy trying to source one XT brake set (- front only affected) if the ATF eats the seals which Shimano seem to imply are made of distilled ghost snot or something.

Thanks Moridin; Goldwagen acted bemused when I quoted your reference so I probably ended up paying R180 for the wrong stuff.

and thanks JXV; tracked down Evobikes who have the Shimano unicorn blood for R350 per litre exc shipping (about the same as CRC INC SHIPPING).

Maybe that (Shimano) is the way to go - I don't fancy trying to source one XT brake set (- front only affected) if the ATF eats the seals which Shimano seem to imply are made of distilled ghost snot or something.

Yoh! R350!!! I bought a litre from my LBS for about R200 last year. The small bottles are even more overpriced on volume for volume basis but less $$$ and it has enough to bleed a brakeset front and rear if this only a once-off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks, beer all over keyboard whilst reading this. Smiled at unicorn blood, lost it with distilled ghost snot!

They acted the same when I asked for it here also. Then I showed the sales dude the bottles on a shelf behind his back. I almost wanted to say something sarcastic to him then.

Looks like this.

g002000g.jpg

• 2 years later...

Instead of creating a new thread, did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I need to bleed my shimano M505 brakes. I bought "shimano hydraulic mineral oil" from my LBS. It's red/pink in colour. I opened the reservoir in my brakes and the fluid is clear. The reservoir cover says mineral oil. I have never touched the brakes since buying the bike new and its never been to a bike shop either, so this is the original fluid.

Can I mix the fluid or must I drain the clear fluid and fill up with the new pink fluid?

Instead of creating a new thread, did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I need to bleed my shimano M505 brakes. I bought "shimano hydraulic mineral oil" from my LBS. It's red/pink in colour. I opened the reservoir in my brakes and the fluid is clear. The reservoir cover says mineral oil. I have never touched the brakes since buying the bike new and its never been to a bike shop either, so this is the original fluid.

Can I mix the fluid or must I drain the clear fluid and fill up with the new pink fluid?

there is sometimes some discoloration if the oil is very old.

suggest you drain and do a full bleed

I would agree with Fanie.

Drain all the existing oil out, push through a little of the new oil to flush the system and then rebleed using the Shimano oil.

I would agree with Fanie.

Drain all the existing oil out, push through a little of the new oil to flush the system and then rebleed using the Shimano oil.

Thanks guys.

Will replace all the oil. But I think I will remove the whole brake from the bike. Think it will be easier, also wont get any oil on the bike. But these brakes have a stupid design, no bleed screw on the lever. I have to remove the whole cover. Not sure how to get all the air out. Will look on youtube this evening.

Oil is about 7 years old..............

Thanks guys, Brakes worked and are working just fine but I will flush BUT where to get the pink stuff. Previously some kind shop owner decanted some from his stock for me - maybe the route to take or baby oil, or some of the earlier options mentioned here?

If you're in Pretoria and willing to pick up I'll give you some.