Long distance touring bike

_freak_

When fitted on ZTR rims, can the Schwalbe Marathon (Mondial/Dureme) tyres be run tubeless with sealant? Or is that not a good idea (not simple enough for the long road)? Does the tyres provide enough puncture protection, even on gravel roads of the Karoo?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good information here, thank you. Do tell more about your midlands test.

To OP. Please let me know if these questions are off topic and need to asked elsewhere.

I did some mods on my brakes and rack. Wanted to test the brakes under load on a long down hill - think Worlds view in thick mist. I hate heel strike and checked on the sitting of the panniers and frame flex. It is one thing to pack and set up at home but out there everything must be right. Also my lights needed an outing and I have 9!!!!! (never too much light on those narrow roads.) Used a diffuser and it works wonders. In the mist I moved my white light to the rear as I hardly noticed my multiple red flashers.

My other multi day trips have not gone too far away from towns but I don't have back up and wanted to be sure for next trip in the new year. Best to be sure.

When fitted on ZTR rims, can the Schwalbe Marathon (Mondial/Dureme) tyres be run tubeless with sealant? Or is that not a good idea (not simple enough for the long road)? Does the tyres provide enough puncture protection, even on gravel roads of the Karoo?

I use Schwalbe Marathons and have travelled the back roads from the OFS. I have them tubeless with PS2. I will not go any other way. Better than the Conti Tourer IMO and I have used them both. I have also used Crossmark and Larson tubeless. Still prefer the Marathon. If this helps..........

I have spent the last year or so building a touring bike. I tried all sorts of tyre and gearing combinations, and eventually ended up with this.

attachicon.gifDSCN0383.JPG

I tried 2.25 crossmarks, and roadslicks, but these Schwalbe Mondial Marathon 700 x 35c's did the best job by far. Fast on tar and decent enough on gravel, they seem to be bullet proof as far as punctures are concerned.

I used a steel framed On One inbred 29er with a 2x10 drive train (39/26 on the front and 11/36 on the back)

The frame is strong and durable and has rack mounts.

Go anywhere bike!. Nice tyres.

post-52292-0-83398300-1416251877_thumb.jpg

Previously posted elsewhere, this is my 1989 Claud Butler that I rode (the missus had hers nicked in Joburg!) from Norway to Cape Town in 1992/3. We chose steel as it is easy to repair if damaged. I had Campag wheels but broke the rear, which I replace with Mavic rim. I do not remember the size, but I do remember it being a tandem rim! I laced that up in a hotel in Cairo and have had no problems with it since.

The drive train is early Shimano XT with Mavic and Onza chain rings. That weird stem is a Girvin flexstem, was not much use at all as I carried a bar bag. Don't know what I was thinking using it, but it makes me laugh now!

This was before disc brakes and I used Coolstop pads with 2mm Clarkes cables, about the best I could do at the time. The only alloy was the Blackburn racks, very well made and strong. The bikes were heavy, especially when loaded with water for some of the more remote riding. If I were to do this again, I would do a similar setup, steel, rigid, but with disc brakes.

Enjoy your touring!!

Great thread. Apologies for a bit of a hijack, maybe my recent experiences will encourage others to embrace touring a too.

I will try and keep this as short as possible, my family and I had a really uplifting experience about a month ago.

21:30 on a Fri I get an email on my phone, "we are 2 Chinese tourists, we got your details from warmshowers can we contact you", I text back, "where are you?" no reply. Next morn early, text comes in "we sleeping on mountain in Hout Bay for safety, can we have a shower?" "sure I say come on over". I have visions of rooi gevaar and colonization - after all these people want to rule the world don't they?

At 9:30 two tiny people with big bikes come pushing up my road.

They left on Monday morning.....in between the following happened.

I found out that they were not out to eat my dog or rabbit, they are both graduates, they are extremely proud of their culture and spoke a lot about it - I was educated. They were of the most humble people I had ever met, they showed the utmost respect, they were gracious and generous, they were entirely self supporting. 

They had left home 2 years ago cycled across China, Nepal the middle east, europe and down through Africa, they got married along the way, 20 000km in and they are now off to Thailand en route back to China.

The refused to sleep in our home although we offered them a child's room, they slept out on the lawn in their 2 man Chinese tent. They showered inside, ate with us, we braaied for them and they asked if they could cook proper Chinese food for us which they went and bought. No request for a lift, they just walk to the shops, spend their own money. 3 dishes: fish, pork and soup plus all the extras, a gastronomic education for me

Their biggest need was a clean shower, clean clothes and wifi.

Their bikes and kit were whatever worked, bottom of the range Merida for her and his a Chinese mtb, nothing fancy, see pics, the wooden stick is to hold the bike up.

Other observations:

My two girls were fascinated, they also are not so 'fearful' of the Chinese now, they see that you don't need much to survive and prosper, its not how much you have, but how much you desire to get outside your comfort zone.

One sees the critical importance of the highest level of education possible, these folk were empowered and adventurous, not fearful or protective.

They were stunned by the beauty of Cape Town and the opportunities which exist for us.

I must confess I was tempted to ignore the sms, there is no obligation to respond, but each time I interact with someone touring I am enriched, this was no different.

post-1509-0-69255300-1416258178_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-52377900-1416258181_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-09904500-1416258184_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-21732000-1416258186_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-80919100-1416258198_thumb.jpg

jislaaik - those bikes look heavily bogged down with weight! I would not want to be pushing that thing uphill !

Great thread. Apologies for a bit of a hijack, maybe my recent experiences will encourage others to embrace touring a too.

I will try and keep this as short as possible, my family and I had a really uplifting experience about a month ago.

21:30 on a Fri I get an email on my phone, "we are 2 Chinese tourists, we got your details from warmshowers can we contact you", I text back, "where are you?" no reply. Next morn early, text comes in "we sleeping on mountain in Hout Bay for safety, can we have a shower?" "sure I say come on over". I have visions of rooi gevaar and colonization - after all these people want to rule the world don't they?

At 9:30 two tiny people with big bikes come pushing up my road.

They left on Monday morning.....in between the following happened.

I found out that they were not out to eat my dog or rabbit, they are both graduates, they are extremely proud of their culture and spoke a lot about it - I was educated. They were of the most humble people I had ever met, they showed the utmost respect, they were gracious and generous, they were entirely self supporting. 

They had left home 2 years ago cycled across China, Nepal the middle east, europe and down through Africa, they got married along the way, 20 000km in and they are now off to Thailand en route back to China.

The refused to sleep in our home although we offered them a child's room, they slept out on the lawn in their 2 man Chinese tent. They showered inside, ate with us, we braaied for them and they asked if they could cook proper Chinese food for us which they went and bought. No request for a lift, they just walk to the shops, spend their own money. 3 dishes: fish, pork and soup plus all the extras, a gastronomic education for me

Their biggest need was a clean shower, clean clothes and wifi.

Their bikes and kit were whatever worked, bottom of the range Merida for her and his a Chinese mtb, nothing fancy, see pics, the wooden stick is to hold the bike up.

Other observations:

My two girls were fascinated, they also are not so 'fearful' of the Chinese now, they see that you don't need much to survive and prosper, its not how much you have, but how much you desire to get outside your comfort zone.

One sees the critical importance of the highest level of education possible, these folk were empowered and adventurous, not fearful or protective.

They were stunned by the beauty of Cape Town and the opportunities which exist for us.

I must confess I was tempted to ignore the sms, there is no obligation to respond, but each time I interact with someone touring I am enriched, this was no different.

Keeping it real! 

Thanks tubed.

I use Schwalbe Marathons and have travelled the back roads from the OFS. I have them tubeless with PS2. I will not go any other way. Better than the Conti Tourer IMO and I have used them both. I have also used Crossmark and Larson tubeless. Still prefer the Marathon. If this helps..........

Thanks, Sepia. I have ordered the Marathon Dureme. Will give it a go.  

Awesome thread!

I am busy putting the finishing touches to my bikes so that both are able to be used for touring.

So happy that I am not the only one thinking of doing this!

Will be doing a tour around Johann Rissik's part of the world next year! Can't wait!

:clap:  :clap:

Our last tour was 10,000km from Bali to Hong Kong. We used Schwalbe Mondial tyres with fully loaded touring bikes. Between the 2 of us, we only had one puncture each. I really dont think it is necessary to tryband go tubeless with the mondials. We use 26" wheels. You will find it difficult tonget other size tyres if you are outside of europe, USA etc. SE Asia, China and india especially.

There are some really good value for money touring bikes around. Dawes, Trek (a relatively new model) and off course Surly. We have Surly LHT with straight bars, and absolutely love them. A solid bike that can carry a good load. The balance on the frame with a load is also very good. Some frames and the geometry of the frame is jot always good for heavy loads. Heavy front and steering can very quickly become an issue with handling and speed wobbles going down hill.

We absolutely love touring by bicycle. it is such a unique way to experience a place and you see 100 times more too.

...with a triple ring 48-38-26 and 11-34 at the back.

Question for those running 48t up front - how good is front derailleur shifting? What derailleur are you using?? I want to run this combo as well but have been warned it's a b!tch to get right (if at all).

Awesome thread.

About the bike: I know a couple of people who've done many kays of loaded off-road touring on old Trek 4700/4900 frames who are very happy with them.

For wheels, make sure you get strong rims and spokes - Mavic with DT Swiss are great. Also look at using brass nipples not aluminum - works better and easier to repair should you break one. Having a good wheel-build is obviously very important for loaded touring but often overlooked.

If you are a heavyweight like me, Phil Wood is the way to go. 40 or 48H rear if you are going with panniers - less if your are thinking of using a trailer. A whippet can get away with a well-built 32 or 36H rim.

Budgeting for mine next year.

I am thinking of the 700c Disc trucker, as you can run 26" on there with very little impact on BB drop and height.

Angles also remain remarkably similar.

Question for those running 48t up front - how good is front derailleur shifting? What derailleur are you using?? I want to run this combo as well but have been warned it's a b!tch to get right (if at all).

Awesome thread.

About the bike: I know a couple of people who've done many kays of loaded off-road touring on old Trek 4700/4900 frames who are very happy with them.

For wheels, make sure you get strong rims and spokes - Mavic with DT Swiss are great. Also look at using brass nipples not aluminum - works better and easier to repair should you break one. Having a good wheel-build is obviously very important for loaded touring but often overlooked.

My LHT has a Shimano Tiagra on the front and I use shimano friction shifter for front and rear. I dont use rapid fire, as not necessary for a touring bike. Ive never had any issues with this set up on the front with that set.

Good quality wheels and hubs really is very important. Most important though is to have a good wheel builder manually re tension your wheel. Factory built wheels are not the best. All the factory cares about is getting the wheel to run true, normally with no regards to even spoke tension. DTSwiss definitely good for spokes.

Archived