Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

I've got a set of Avid BB7's on my Mercer on 160mm rotors front and rear. They had no stopping power until I bedded them in on my local steep descent - now I can pretty much come to a stop with my rear brake only and I'm using sintered pads.

I explored getting a Hope V-Twin cable-to-hydraulic adapter then using MTB calipers, but my brakes work perfectly well for the type of riding I do (mostly road). I was going to get some TRP Spyre C's as the pad changing is a million times easier than the Avids, but now I am broke.

For the price of TRP HY/RD's, Hope V-Twin or similar I feel that you may as well buy a set of shifters (cable shift+hydraulic brake), if you're gonna spend 2/3rds of the cost on something else then may as well go all out? :P upgrade bug is real.

So the order I would do things in is:

1. Bed brakes in properly

2. Bigger rotors

3. TRP HY/RD

4. Hope V-Twin adapter

5. New all-in-one shifters and calipers for a fully hydraulic system

Thanks Yusran, will follow these steps

The bike has only done about 200km which has been on mostly flat tar roads, so don't think the brakes have been push hard.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Shimano Sora mechanical callipers (from CRC) on my build.

Super impress with the braking power - They are made to work with STI's

Use them now with Sram Red shifters. Was good with the Sora shifters but excellent with the Red carbon shifters which is much stiffer than any alu leaver - leavers make a huge difference on braking performance as well

Edited by Mongoose!

Will post some in about in hour when I get home

Here are some pics, 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2.  Getting some AM Classic Victory 30's and Maxxis Rambler's over the weekend.

Posted some pics of the brakes and front cabling if an eagle can maybe spot an issue with my lack of braking power

post-84723-0-86951300-1487088037_thumb.jpg

post-84723-0-94830600-1487088069_thumb.jpg

post-84723-0-65041300-1487088141_thumb.jpg

post-84723-0-45767000-1487088174_thumb.jpg

post-84723-0-79618500-1487088198_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zorro5614

Here are some pics, 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2.  Getting some AM Classic Victory 30's and Maxxis Rambler's over the weekend.

Posted some pics of the brakes and front cabling if an eagle can maybe spot an issue with my lack of braking power

Your rotors are 160mm.......

Your rotors are 160mm.......

Yes, never even looked at the size.  This usually comes stock with 140mm rotors.

The brakes are std TPR Spyre OEM, only writing on the rotors are the direction arrows and 160-2.  Can't see any brand name.

Not sure if some Shimano RT-66 rotors or better would help braking performance?

How are you finding those Conti's. You say you are changing them?

They are ok, looking for something with a bit more volume.  Going to 40C, looking for softer ride

They are ok, looking for something with a bit more volume.  Going to 40C, looking for softer ride

If you want to sell them give me a shout?

Here are some pics, 2016 Giant TCX SLR 2. Getting some AM Classic Victory 30's and Maxxis Rambler's over the weekend.

did I perhaps pass you on Tiekiedraai this afternoon? You were carrying a huge Thule backpack?

So, after 6 weeks of turmoil and heartache, the Litespeed is complete. Please excuse the terrible photo, I took a quick snap of the bike after our usual Tuesday morning coffee ride, hence the lights etc.

This truly an incredible bike. The frame is light but compliant but also stiff in the right places. The through axels on the front and back wheels also make a massive difference. It just feels so solid.

I will take better pictures of the saddle, it is a Fizik Antares which Velobrien did some magic to. It is a great detail on what is a gorgeous bike.

Due to the rear stay design, I had to move away from the HY RD's and to Spyre SLC's, I must say that I actually prefer the cable SLC's.... they are incredible.

I am still running the 10 speed Force shifters with the 10 speed MTB XO rear derailleur, it works really well.

I am on the hunt for a direct mount SRAM 10 front derailleur if any of you have one laying around.

post-18547-0-47578500-1487141062_thumb.jpg