Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

Would appreciate some feedback on these, as and when you can. Had ear-marked these for future consideration....

PS is that a 35 and a 43mm separately?

Will give some feedback, once I am able to get to a bike shop as I don’t have sludge.

Yes, they are 35/43. My frame only fits a 35 at the rear. Haven’t used anything bigger than 38 on the front, bit decided to give the 43 a try as I’m planning some new and longer gravel routes. That is when I get time to ride again. Been hectic lately

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a planet-x Kaffenback 2 frameset... I am 1.74m short and it is perfect.

My thought was to built it with 650b plus road tires and a 42 1x front ring and use it as a commuter but I went full retard and made a whole other piece of radical heaven.

If you want to have a look let me know. I have the frameset in black, a brand new red headset a set of red QR hubs and some wtb i23 rims and spokes to build up and go on there.... if you want to stay with 700c then it fits up to 32c tires... but the 650b plus is a chicken dinner methinks

I also have some 2nd gen BB7s to throw in the mix, some carbon 172.5 cranks and a heap of other bits and bobs

can you please speak to me in english :)

can you fit 40c tyres?

so with 650b wheels I can fit that 38/40c tyres ?

Why not consider a diverge? A couple floating here somewhere in carbon for great prices! The 56cm is more a medium than a large btw. You can fit up to 38c on a 700, they come standard with hydraulic disc brakes and 105 group set.

can you please speak to me in english :)

can you fit 40c tyres?

A local option to consider at really good prices and its a versatile machine... 

http://ridefarr.com/product/farr-prototype-frames/

Here is mine... Currently with some 42c tyres with a wee bit more space for wider. 650b wheels will have so much more clearance i think for up to 50c and even with 29er wheels some 2,0 and 2,1 tyres will clear.

post-7810-0-34388800-1509563106_thumb.jpg

Bogus, how does the weight shape out

Would it work as a road bike more than a CX gravel bike ?

Look it aint a feather weight being a chromo frame but it sure aint a lead ball either. It rolls easy and feels nimble and extremely stable and im really enjoying it. Im sure you can do a super lightweight build with the components etc

Ja look, she is coming from a raleigh RC2000 (granted has carbon fork)  - but a bit of weight for stability is not a bad thing.

You guys, as always, have given me alot of think about.

Ja look, she is coming from a raleigh RC2000 (granted has carbon fork)  - but a bit of weight for stability is not a bad thing.

You guys, as always, have given me alot of think about.

What size is she riding?

the raleigh is a 47, so a medium

Mine is medium leaning towards large.... I need to sort the rear brake and we can maybe fit a shorter stem for her and she is welcome to try it out for a couple of days and see if its something that could work for her if you would be interested.

Had my Ritchey SwissCross Disc build done at last just in time for the inaugural Karoobaix by Cycletech Kyalami. A BIG thanks to Marco, Greg and Mario, who as always, went out of their way to get the parts I wanted and kept me updated all the way through the build. I did not have any problems, with the latest Ultegra groupset fitted the gears were smooth with every single gear selection I made and the Maxxis Ramblers really impressed. My legs though, did not do this machine justice, it’s a proper weapon!

Frame:

SWISS CROSS DISC FRAMESET Heat treated, triple-butted Ritchey Logic II™ CrMo steel tubing throughout.

Ritchey WCS Carbon Disc Cross Fork, painted to match and Ritchey WCS headset.

Wheelset:

American Classic Carbon 40 Clincher converted to tubeless and Enve valves. Very light and stiff.

Tyres:

Maxxis Rambler 700x40C SilkShield/TR Front/Rear (pumped to 3.5 bar).

Bar:

Ritchey WCS VENTUREMAX and Ritchey Bar Tape.

Stem:

Ritchey SUPERLOGIC CARBON C260 Limited Edition Yellow (just to break the black a bit...).

Seatpost:

Ritchey SUPERLOGIC CARBON.

Saddle:

Ritchey SUPERLOGIC STREEM with Carbon Rail.

Pair of Ritchey WCS CARBON bottle cages.

Latest Shimano Ultegra R8020 Groupset - hydrolic brakes with a pair of 160mm rotors.

(11|30 cog and 36|52 front) Put some slicks on and it’s perfect for the road.

Look S-Track Race pedals.

It fits me to a tee, parts selection and advise I got all worked perfect, very comfortable, light, fast and nimble.

Edit: Photo taken on day 2/2 of Karoobaix closing the gate looking in the direction of the Moordenaarskaroo.

post-4329-0-89675100-1509641755_thumb.jpeg

Edited by nathrix ® ©™

So, wanting to build a gravel bike/cyclocross bike to be able to ride next to some narrow roads if I want to commute.

I have a Hollowgram SI crankset with a Quarq spider that I want to use on it, so my first choice would be a Cannondale CAAD X. The one in classifieds looks like the exact frame I want, but I will not be able to make a size 56 work for me, no matter how much I try.

I would need a size 51/52/53.

Now I will be able to afford anything up to maybe R6000 (frame and fork only), but will have to scrape the money together.

OK, so now the question, except for the China Carbon frames that I can get in BB30/PF30, what other frames are close to that price range that come in BB/PF 30?

Does anyone know of a size 51 CAAD X frame for sale?