Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So brakes is virtually sorted now, swapping my hydraulics for mechanicals to run with my Shimano Sti's, this will work right?

So brakes is virtually sorted now, swapping my hydraulics for mechanicals to run with my Shimano Sti's, this will work right?

it will work,i run 105 sti's on TRP mechanical calipers

it will work,i run 105 sti's on TRP mechanical calipers

Schweet i cant wait to start the build of the "Monster-Cross"

I am busy with a Schwinn Mesa large frame which is slower but surely morphing into a CX. I have 29er Alexrims and so far so good. I have a steel 26er solid fork, Silverback stem and alloy road bike handlebar with Shimano 105 Shifters. Rear derailleur is planned to be Tiagra and I have a 9 speed XT casette. I also need tyres and have ordered 700 x 35C units from my favourite Bike Shop.

Looking forward to seeing this bike. am very curious about the 29er wheels with 26er frame.

Looking forward to seeing this bike. am very curious about the 29er wheels with 26er frame.

700 x 35 wont be that much bigger, if at all, than a 26 x 2.2 tyre or there abouts - no probs

so you could take a 26er frame and run 29er wheels with cx tyres? does this then depend on the "arch" of a suspension fork in the front or will the fork need to be rigid ?

Chaps my steel cotic fork is for sale. Drop me a pm if you are interested. It's the stock black fork that comes with the x. Both canti and disc

so you could take a 26er frame and run 29er wheels with cx tyres? does this then depend on the "arch" of a suspension fork in the front or will the fork need to be rigid ?

Yes. as explained above.

Should fit a suspension fork too as the total diameter of Rocks example will be similar.

The better question is why put a CX tyre with a suspension fork? Sis.

sooooo reading all this...... my On One Scandal 26er frame can get carbon 29er fork, 29er wheels with cx tires, drop bars, a road groupset and i have the making of a CX bike.

just confused about the disk brakes, sounds like I have to go mechanical?

Ignore the geometry & BB Clearance is there any reason why a MTB frame will not work?

Anyone build a cx bike using a MTB frame?

I suppose it will probably be heavier as well vs cx specific frame.

Probably a bit late with this post ... but from experience experimenting with building a rigid  MTB

a 26' frame originally sold as rigid, replaced with 700c x 28c wheels will work (kind-off). Will be the same as the rigid 26er, ...  the saddle will move sightly forward towards the BB vertical line once the new fork is installed.

But with a hardtail 26er/29er frame with front suspension, the seatpost angle will end up being much more upright because of the frontend going down so much when fitting a CX fork in-place of the 26er/29er suspension fork.... You will need massive setback on your seatpost to compensate, else it would feel like you running a Triathlon bike .... your weight distribution will be onto the handlebars... it felt much worse on a 29er though, than on the 26er?

Anyone agree with me on this?

Probably a bit late with this post ... but from experience experimenting with building a rigid MTB

a 26' frame originally sold as rigid, replaced with 700c x 28c wheels will work (kind-off). Will be the same as the rigid 26er, ... the saddle will move sightly forward towards the BB vertical line once the new fork is installed.

But with a hardtail 26er/29er frame with front suspension, the seatpost angle will end up being much more upright because of the frontend going down so much when fitting a CX fork in-place of the 26er/29er suspension fork.... You will need massive setback on your seatpost to compensate, else it would feel like you running a Triathlon bike .... your weight distribution will be onto the handlebars... it felt much worse on a 29er though, than on the 26er?

Anyone agree with me on this?

thanks for the info. my entire build is using mostly existing spare parts lying around i.e. 29er HT frame & 29er Rigid Fork, etc. not willing to spend too much at this stage for this project. Will upgrade later bit by bit. So I've ridden & raced with 29er Ht rigid before so nothing new there for me i guess. Only difference now would be the drop bars & cx tires.