Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

You could of course use those fancy hydraulic calipers with cable sti's.... :) That's my plan for my Cotic when it comes back from paint.... and the boxes are under my desk.

Although I do like the look of the CX1 setup.... mmm... decisions decisions...

Guess I will wait for the bike to come back from paint.... been 7 months already... no hurry...

how are you going to do that? I asked if that was possible & was told to get the converter, is this what you will be doing?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could of course use those fancy hydraulic calipers with cable sti's.... :) That's my plan for my Cotic when it comes back from paint.... and the boxes are under my desk.

Although I do like the look of the CX1 setup.... mmm... decisions decisions...

Guess I will wait for the bike to come back from paint.... been 7 months already... no hurry...

Something like this? Hope V-Twin

post-20017-0-30801600-1434015957_thumb.jpg

You could of course use those fancy hydraulic calipers with cable sti's.... :) That's my plan for my Cotic when it comes back from paint.... 

Or even the not so fancy ones..........

I was initially very disappointed in my cable-to-hydraulic conversion, but then the pads/disks got themselves bedded in and their nature changed completely.

The modulation and stopping power is brilliant. Better than anything experienced on a road bike, better than my old Paul Cantis, and with no front-end dive like on a MTB, possibly even more confidence inspiring than Hope or XT disks.

Or even the not so fancy ones..........

I was initially very disappointed in my cable-to-hydraulic conversion, but then the pads/disks got themselves bedded in and their nature changed completely.

The modulation and stopping power is brilliant. Better than anything experienced on a road bike, better than my old Paul Cantis, and with no front-end dive like on a MTB, possibly even more confidence inspiring than Hope or XT disks.

What brand/series did you install?

And where did you order from?  :huh:

how are you going to do that? I asked if that was possible & was told to get the converter, is this what you will be doing?

Well - I was quick and bought a set of hydraulic calipers with cable actuators.... out from under Eddy's nose.... :)

The only advantage to these is you don't have to deal with hydraulic cable routing on a frame designed for wires...

Well - I was quick and bought a set of hydraulic calipers with cable actuators.... out from under Eddy's nose.... :)

The only advantage to these is you don't have to deal with hydraulic cable routing on a frame designed for wires...

Which one's does Eddy have? The Hope's V-Twins are ridiculously expensive, (R4000+) for a play bike .. sorry Shamus  :mellow:. I did a bit of looking around before I bought the BB7's and it just didn't make sense to buy those hydraulic converters at that price for a franken-cross like mine  :) 

We built two cotics for customers with the V Twin.

Works wonderfully well.

what did it cost & did you get it locally?

what did it cost & did you get it locally?

About R4500 about a year ago

But the ZAR has gone for a loop since then

International trade is the local importer

yeah those were one of the recommendations as well. But where to find it locally, I wanted to spend as little as possible on this build. Therefore swopping my hydraulics for mechanicals was the logical route, I hope I don't regret it later, cause I'm very unforgiving.

Which one's does Eddy have? The Hope's V-Twins are ridiculously expensive, (R4000+) for a play bike .. sorry Shamus  :mellow:. I did a bit of looking around before I bought the BB7's and it just didn't make sense to buy those hydraulic converters at that price for a franken-cross like mine  :) 

Eddie has a hope V twin on his bike - think it is one of Shamus's bikes.... actually I know it is... :)

yeah those were one of the recommendations as well. But where to find it locally, I wanted to spend as little as possible on this build. Therefore swopping my hydraulics for mechanicals was the logical route, I hope I don't regret it later, cause I'm very unforgiving.

They are TRP's  - about half the cost of the v-twin.

But I am still considering a CX1 setup - so until the frame is back I don't plan to do anything.

would have loved to get those V-Twins too ... maybe one day when I upgrade the frame ... wheels .. groupset  ... bike .... ....   :D  ... but the BB7's does the job fine for now ... reviews are good ito reliability too.