Practicing track-stands when commuting

JohnnyReggae

Yes

Next thing JR is to find some cycling buddies to commute with, get to the waiting points before them and then practice seeing how close you can ride around a pole in circles or even just a mark on the road ...... that track stand will come in handy and it will be interesting to learn how your body position drastically effects how the bike moves under you

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a lotttttt easier on a fixie, as you control the backwards and forwards movement of the bike, but on a normal bike i tend to go forward to much and then subsequently need to clip out... 

Yes

Next thing JR is to find some cycling buddies to commute with, get to the waiting points before them and then practice seeing how close you can ride around a pole in circles or even just a mark on the road ...... that track stand will come in handy and it will be interesting to learn how your body position drastically effects how the bike moves under you

I've also recently started practicing the track-sit  ;) Not sure if it's still a track-stand if you're sitting on the saddle  :D

Its a lotttttt easier on a fixie, as you control the backwards and forwards movement of the bike, but on a normal bike i tend to go forward to much and then subsequently need to clip out... 

Just use the brakes

I've also recently started practicing the track-sit  ;) Not sure if it's still a track-stand if you're sitting on the saddle  :D

Yes = track stand JR :P

Long Splurb after that was advising how to put your recently acquired skills to use and further develop them

RE track stand ... I find it easier when seated ... but that does not make it a track seat :P

Seated is definitely the best way, you have more control than the wobbly stand-ers. I try to look for a slight incline in the road surface at the intersection and then use it to roll backwards if I need to counterbalance, keeping some force on the pedals at all times. That way you don't need to use the brakes for control (more coolness points :)). If there is no incline, gently ride into a braked stop and "bounce back" off the brakes to roll backwards when needed. 

Everyone should practice track stands - they develop balance and handling skills that come in handy in all disciplines, from the real track to the single track. 

Edited by openmind

Yes = track stand JR :P

Long Splurb after that was advising how to put your recently acquired skills to use and further develop them

RE track stand ... I find it easier when seated ... but that does not make it a track seat :P

:D not much space on Main road to start doing circles around things. Maybe I could start riding around the cars stopped at the traffic lights. Although I'm pretty sure some motorist would start swearing at me for doing something stupid  :P

Need to find an excuse to practice some other basic skills like bunny hops, which are not easy with a big 29'er and flat pedals. When I was a kid this was quite easy on my trusty Peugeot racer.

Definitely yes! I'm only up to a few seconds, but I'm determined to get better. Also trying to bunny Hop as often as possible (29er and flats here too!) All in good time I guess. Commuting provides many skills learning opportunities!

I like this thread...

I am not clipped in, but always try do them... And some days I just don't have the balance, others I can do them all day long.

My best was 2 light changes,with a long crawl between them,and a crawl into the interchange, I was turning right, across the traffic, earned huge respect from the car behind me. He got stuck at the next light and made space for me, then followed me down a long hill, stopping a big truck from coming next to me.

I think I can proudly say this is one skill iv mastered! Can do them for as long as I like.but always easier on an uphill...can do one handed aswell and when not commuting I practice the no hander.

Favourite though is a nice stoppie straight Into a track stand with no roll back.

Still working on my wheelies though.

Yes. Do them all the time road and mtb. Can go for as long as I like, always cliped in. Use the brake or incline/ bump in the road to rock or counter against. Need to perfect the sidways hop though.

Yes indeed!! makes life a lot easier on the mtb, I find it a bit useless on the roadbike but it makes slow technical maneuvers easier on the mtb. But on my trials rides I tend to push the limits a bit, can balance on the back wheel with a hop every 10 seconds or so for the average duration of a red traffic light :whistling:

Mine's more of a track-wobble, and must be hell on my pawls. There's a French gal around CT who'll beat anyone here, hands-and-feet down, guaranteed.

thats what the front brakes are for  :whistling:

Yes indeed!! makes life a lot easier on the mtb, I find it a bit useless on the roadbike but it makes slow technical maneuvers easier on the mtb. But on my trials rides I tend to push the limits a bit, can balance on the back wheel with a hop every 10 seconds or so for the average duration of a red traffic light :whistling:

hardly useless on a road bike, track stands on any bike saves the cycling shoes, i tend to push off using the toe tip of my shoes when riding off, that's when i'm not track standing, so any chance to not down your foot saves the shoes.