Bike jacking. CPT cycle lane. Sunday 14 December

stratus5

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope your friend is ok. I was planning to use this stretch for the first time on Sunday for a ride around the Peninsula but decided to drive to Sea Point and start from there. It's a shame we can't access town safely from the Northern Suburbs :(

Sorry to hear of your friend's mishap. I often rode the cycle track alone and was never at ease through that section. I use N1 or Lower Main Road now when I am alone. City of Cape Town need to step up patrols otherwise the entire cycle track may become a problem.

Metro cops 021-5961999.Just phoned them and they are going to send somebody to look at the fence and homeless problem along the N1

Thanks for phoning, Bernard. Hopefully something can be done about this.

Jeepers, i rode through there at about the same time as well by myself on sunday. And i did see a security guard walking there, not sure if he was just passing through or whatever though... There is CCTV by the bridge going under the N1 and then on the other side by the small downhill into woodstock, so the only issue area is on that long straight where the fence is all broken. Not sure how they would have gotten a bike through that hole though - its not that big? 

Hope they find his bike and hes ok! Sounds like they just took a chance hey! 

Sorry to hear your mate had to go through this! Hope something useful comes from your post and his bike is found!

I get flamed every time this post comes up! There will never be full time security along this stretch, so this will remain a hotspot. Something hike this happens. Fences get fixed. Cops will get deployed, it will go quiet and then they'll get redeployed elsewhere. Then the fence will get broken again and this type of thug will pitch up all over again. This cycle has played itself out more than a dozen times already. Unless you cycle through in a size able group it's not worth the risk whatsoever.

Call me what you like, but you won't catch me on that stretch of the lane!

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This spot is a huge hot spot. ......specifically at the bridge.

I know of too many people who have been mugged on this spot and short section of cycle Lane.

The city had done sweet bugger all to secure this zone, and they and the mycity know full well it is a high risk zone.

They have been far too slow to fix broken fences. ..As in month's to fix broken panels.

Where and when do we draw the line and make it clear we are not happy.

A very slow mass ride into town on the bus Lane to make a point that enough is enough.

I am angry, so I can just imagine how you must be feeling OP!

I have travelled through there a few times but on the Myciti bus, and noticed how many guys cycle on the lane by themselves. They're either oblivious of the danger or carry bigger cajones than I do. I am jittery on the bus let alone on a bike in that area.

Such a shame that we are being robbed yet again of the right to travel safely on our bikes. I have contemplated so many times in the past to do a ride up the coast from the Atlantic seaboard, but due to the nature and hours of work would probably have to do it by myself. This section has always put me off and resulted in the ride being postponed. May just have to do it and take a detour on a route shared with Mr Motorist and take my chances!

I am trying to think of some way to highlight this area to the council and ways to make it safer. Any ideas?

I have waited for another rider to catch up with me before entering that section. Basically, from the last MyCity bus station in Paarden Eiland to Woodstock station where I normally turn off towards Albert Road, I HATE riding alone. Sometimes I feel stupid, waiting on my own, and if it takes too long, I stick my pepper spray under the leg of my cycling shorts, where I can get to it quickly, and just go for it, but I keep my eyes peeled and in orange mode all the way! Farkers are not going to get me, without some strong seasoning thrown in! If I see someone walking or near the path, I engage with them from some way off, You can mostly see from the body language whether they are friendly or not. Any dodgy characters or the slightest doubt, I listen to my intuition and act accordingly. Long story, I know, and only worth 2c.

I always looked at the guys skipping the cycle lane in favour of the N1 in and out of town thinking what idiots. But no more, i will also now be one of the idiots rather taking my chances on the N1.  Used the cycle lane twice this weekend along that stretch and saw many dodgy characters, homeless urinating in such a way that we all had to admire his not significant manhood, overall state of lane in serious need of maintenance and security upgrade! 

When I feel unsafe going through there I just ride in the middle of the bus lanes instead of the bike path. More room to move. 

LAND INVASION (Squatter control) Telephone: 0800 225 669

Going to phone this number regularly till city gets tired of me and gets  rid of squatters along the cycle route.If enough of us phone they got to take notice.Squatting in bush neat Woodstock busstation and also all along the N1 from where we go under the N1 all the way to Lower Church st. Have seen Metro cops kick them out before 

LAND INVASION (Squatter control) Telephone: 0800 225 669

Going to phone this number regularly till city gets tired of me and gets  rid of squatters along the cycle route.If enough of us phone they got to take notice.Squatting in bush neat Woodstock busstation and also all along the N1 from where we go under the N1 all the way to Lower Church st. Have seen Metro cops kick them out before 

Thanks for doing this. I got a reply from MyCiTi on Twitter too: https://twitter.com/MyCiTiBus/status/545062650536009728

Case sent to the MyCiTi law enforcement team to action

I'm not sure what will come from that, but the more people know about it the better.