Hermanus Road Rides

iamStewart

So, next week I'm heading up to Hermanus with my family for a little New Years holiday and I'm dead keen to get some riding in. I haven't been to Hermanus since I started riding, so don't have much idea about what the good rides are. I'm pretty keen to try ride to Betty's Bay and back, but I'm not sure how safe the roads are this time of year? Are they any hidden gems? I'm not really keen to put down huge miles, just casual morning rides with maybe one or two longer ones.

Any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Edited by iamStewart

I've been riding from Kleinmond to Hermanus and Strand and back every other day. Roads are good and traffic not really a problem.

• 6 years later...

I'm seven years late on this post...

I'm spending a week in Hermanus over New Year. What are the best road rides?

I've done two road rides there a while ago, both on the shorter side:

1. up Hemel and Aarde, stopped at the top of the pass. Reasonable shoulder for most of the route, except a short bit close to the start. Not a lot of flat road, and its not just up on the way and down on the way back... I think the roads get slightly worse on the way to Caledon after the pass.

2. To just on the other side of Kleinmond and back - bit more busy with cars, but good shoulder all the way. Not sure how safe it is going further

Both were fun rides. 

Sidenote - Rotary way is fun for a couple of hill repeats with a nice view at the end, but going further it gets pretty gravelly.

Pretty sure going to Stanford is not safe - the road is being worked on and there are stop/go's.

+1 on the H & A road. Very pretty and good workout.

+1 on the ride to Kleinmond.

But also the R43 to Botrivier is ok (3 years ago!). Traffic is heavier so chose your time of day - early! And/or use the Karwyderskraal road (the loop to the east of R43) to reduce traffic. NB the Karwyderskraal road - the gravel version - also branches off the H & A road. Dont get confused. Or...take a gravel bike and ride them both!

Never rode to Sanford but drove it...I was glad to not be on a bike. Seemed narrow and fast.

Hemel and Aarde after the pass gets BETTER, as the section to Caledon was tarred a few years ago.

Nice wide shoulder.

Thr route past Kleinmond takes you all the way to Gordons Bay, if you want more distance.  Yes, the sea side road is narrow, but lots of cyclists 

Stanford road a definate NO

A short sharp route is the climb to the top of the koppie overlooking Hermanus.