Ironman SA 2015

Snytjie

when will 2016 entries open? with the 70.3 it is usually open the very next day.  i want to pay that money as soon as possible, then there is no going back haha

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never ever...maybe

I had a great race..swim went well, cycle was tough but went well...then the run went belly up due to a knee problem I picked up 2 or 3 weeks ago that I thought was sorted...my nutrition went well, hydration well..took a couple of 5 minute stops on the cycle leg to regroup...everything went well until the run...I must have the longest run in history of iron man ;)

High drop out rate wow....don't understand why specifically..the cycle was tough ish but doable but saw loads of bikes been transported.... Then a number must of been cut off as I was completing my first lap and there was still ppl cycling through...

2 things though .....rule of no slipstreaming and no littering....both were broken all over the place.... Sometimes blatantly

I think I am the holder of the 'longest marathon' title, at least on the Hub. Took something like 7hrs27 minutes in 2013...Last year was marginally faster with a 6hrs48 or something :whistling:

well done to everyone that started. hboli4 - no one cares about your time afterwards, you finished and that's all that counts

I think I am the holder of the 'longest marathon' title, at least on the Hub. Took something like 7hrs27 minutes in 2013...Last year was marginally faster with a 6hrs48 or something :whistling:

1 hour marathon or 10 hour doesn't matter, you finished and therefore you are an IRONMAN!! Something that 99.9999% of the world's population will never be able to say about themselves.

serious question

The 2014 event was sold out months in advance

The 2015 event wasn't even close to sold out.

What changed (apart from the bike route)?

serious question

Last year was 10th anniversary...

Also I think a lot of ppl don't like the bike course so did not enter

serious question

The only thing I can think of, 2014 was the 10th year anniversary.

when will 2016 entries open? with the 70.3 it is usually open the very next day.  i want to pay that money as soon as possible, then there is no going back haha

Make that 2 of us. I will def be there next year. Cant Wait.

Last year was 10th anniversary...

Also I think a lot of ppl don't like the bike course so did not enter

Was the bike course that much harder?

If that was the case and it caused them to lose entries do you think they will look at it for next year?

Last year was the 10th anniversary so it did make a difference.The bike course is considerably tougher now, so where previously the "very" average athlete might have still attempted it,now they think much harder about it.Personally I think it should not have been changed,it has lost something now.

The course is tough if the wind is against you from the bottom of sea view....first half is hilly the second not so much but if the wind is against you it is uphill all 90kays...a favourable wind will see vast improvements in time I reckon...

1650 meters of elevation ain't a breaker ...it's the bloody wind that kills you...its incessant and frustrating

The course is tough if the wind is against you from the bottom of sea view....first half is hilly the second not so much but if the wind is against you it is uphill all 90kays...a favourable wind will see vast improvements in time I reckon...

1650 meters of elevation ain't a breaker ...it's the bloody wind that kills you...its incessant and frustrating

Living a little further up the coast wind is a normal everyday thing for me, still it can really bugger up your ride. Its amazing how much energy you can burn fighting wind that you wanted to save for the run.

Entries are open!

I saw it, but it says theres something wrong with the system. Will try again tomorrow..

serious question

With the 10 year anniversary, there were promises of all sorts of special stuff, we assumed that we would get a different or better bag & finishers shirt, perhaps some other stuff thrown in for good measure.

There was a lot of hype built around the anniversary, which increased entries and the speed of sales and that sort of snowballed into a FOMO explosion. Sadly all the special stuff came to pretty much nothing but a bit of different embroidery, but the entries did fly on the back of the expectation. 

I do think the tougher bike and the hard time we had on the course last year did put some people off, there were loads of DNF's on the bike leg last year.

So what were the medals and finisher shirts like this year with Standard Bank as a sponsor?

Archived