Straight Pull Spokes

Barry Stuart

Do they hold any significant advantage over J Bend and how hard/expensive is it to get replacement spokes or maintenance from LBSs?

Guest DieBees

Road bike? If so go to lbs and get advice. Straight spokes are lighter but not as stiff. They are lighter only because the spokes are shorter. You can run it on you front wheek and the non drive side on your back wheel.

Edited by DieBees

well there's no j-bend which is a weak point in most spokes

Thanks, so strength and a marginal weight saving? Are they as easy for a home mechanic to maintain and keep tensioned as J Bends? And are replacement spokes readily available at the LBS (open letter to the guys at the Trailhead ;)

depends on brand and model of spoke. Sapim CX-Ray are like hens teeth in all lengths. Straight pull is easier to get hold of in straight pull aero spokes because of the number of boutique wheel brands that use these.

For conventional wheels j-bend is more populare with a greater variety of lengths available.

You'll need to be more specific in your question wrt to lengths and models and colour of spokes you're interested in.

I have some XT wheels with straighpull spokes, you need a special spanner (2 x) for these puppies. So far I have had a couple break but to be fair that was after a stick took out my derailer and the spokes. SInce then and prior to that I had no issues and the wheels are 24 spoke rear and 24 spokes front, I am around 95kg. Once bitch I do have about a low spoke count is that the wheels seem to be a magnet for twigs and sticks getting caught up in them.

Would I get another set of wheels with straight pull? No, simply because its a pain to find the spokes and if you wanted to do a stage race or travel off the beaten track then you better pack some spares!

depends on brand and model of spoke. Sapim CX-Ray are like hens teeth in all lengths. Straight pull is easier to get hold of in straight pull aero spokes because of the number of boutique wheel brands that use these.

For conventional wheels j-bend is more populare with a greater variety of lengths available.

You'll need to be more specific in your question wrt to lengths and models and colour of spokes you're interested in.

Thanks, I'll pm you

If you are starting from scratch stick to J bend hubs and spokes.  The spokes are much easier to come by and to build with.  Locally you can get straight pull in straight gauge and bladed but lengths are limited.  Bladed are easier to hold while tensioning but straight pull really don't have any advantage over J bend.  Double butted J bend all the way!

Thanks, David and Matchstix. I only ask because I'm looking at a set of wheels for an AM bike and they're straight spoke. The 24 spoke count is disconcerting for someone more used to 36.

Rad Dog

My advice, go straight pull ,especially the boutique types so you have to replace the entire wheelset when you can't find the right spokes .

Be a man, take the plunge .

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Hahaha Wyatt Earp!

24 hole straight pull wheelset for AM use? Or XC?

Neither. 32 hole all the way. J bend for increased availability of spokes when / if they give out. Double Butted. End van prent. 

BTW - seems you missed WA's dripping sarcasm there...

Neither. 32 hole all the way. J bend for increased availability of spokes when / if they give out. Double Butted. End van prent. 

BTW - seems you missed WA's dripping sarcasm there...

The wheels won't be under heavy load, I'm planning to ride up all the Enduro lines. It's a new thing.