Tokai prices and gate times

ecg15

I am not proposing looting and burning and I have my annual activity card for the record. I just think the costs are out of control and it needs to be voiced as such...

See Omega's answer above, you would be lucky to get twenty guys turn up for a protest ride and this being Capetown a good portion will pitch up an hour late and some others will be there on the wrong day. 

The remaining seven or so won't really make for much of a mass protest.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Omega Man

See Omega's answer above, you would be lucky to get twenty guys turn up for a protest ride and this being Capetown a good portion will pitch up an hour late and some others will be there on the wrong day. 

The remaining seven or so won't really make for much of a mass protest.

Hahahahaha.

EXACTLY! And Sanparks will tell us that there are only 7 unhappy people so what's the problem? Making our job EVEN MORE of a hassle.

On that. I thought last night was moonlight mass so Karl and I drove to greenpoint and well...... It was moonlight miss. We still had a fun little ride around greenpoint.

We ARE apathetic !!

FACT

Permits cost too much.

Race entries are a ripoff.

Equipment is over the top.

Kit is ridiculously priced.

And we just roll over.

I think I'm going to try golf.

Google apathetic.

We ARE apathetic !!

FACT

Permits cost too much.

Race entries are a ripoff.

Equipment is over the top.

Kit is ridiculously priced.

And we just roll over.

I think I'm going to try golf.

Google apathetic.

Before you rush off to Pro Shop, Google Green Fees!!! You're looking at upwards of R 200 per round. Before drinks.

They carry a huge risk if you read all the threads.

You will be surprized at what people get up to. So, pay the price or dont ride... if you dont like the price, dont support them.

Unfortunately thats life. Other people make it bad for others!

That is such an awful defeatist attitude... the typical ... "suck it up and stop moaning or p1iss off" ..... South African attitude.. no wonder your government is ripping you to shreds, because people like you just accept this onslaught to our quality of life

IF enough people complain and find out who to complain to then something might be arranged for cyclists ..

Guest Omega Man

IF enough people complain and find out who to complain to then something might be arranged for cyclists ..

Sanparks has a facebook page that people can complain on.

TokaiMTB has a website and an email address where people have sent complaints to. These are forwarded on to Sanparks.

So do hikers and horses still get to go for free?

If so, isnt that discriminatory?

Surely there is a legal loophole somewhere that will make/ force pricing to change! as it is the mtb trails are maintained by volunteers whereas the rest are tmnp personnel.

Guest Omega Man

So do hikers and horses still get to go for free?

If so, isnt that discriminatory?

Surely there is a legal loophole somewhere that will make/ force pricing to change! as it is the mtb trails are maintained by volunteers whereas the rest are tmnp personnel.

Horses are supposed to have an activity card. They are all but gone anyway. The stables on Uitsig have been shut down according to my mate Dan's mom who used to stable her horse there.

The horse ladies aren't exactly happy with the state of Tokai either btw. They've seen our numbers swell and encroach on what they believe to be their side of the mountain and riding in a sandpit also sucks for them.

I'm not so sure about hikers. 

That place is a goldmine that's just been wasted. When I think about it it makes me sad. That Listers Dump should be our hangout where we watch World Cups and go for post ride beers with our mates. Instead Societi is packed with mountain bikers.

The forested areas should have been opened up for trails YEARS ago. But Alas.

Oh Just BTW. On that. A little birdie told me that Ride in will be setting up a big screen TV and showing the World Cups. They are also supposedly getting on tap beer. 

Horses are supposed to have an activity card. They are all but gone anyway. The stables on Uitsig have been shut down according to my mate Dan's mom who used to stable her horse there.

The horse ladies aren't exactly happy with the state of Tokai either btw. They've seen our numbers swell and encroach on what they believe to be their side of the mountain and riding in a sandpit also sucks for them.

I'm not so sure about hikers. 

That place is a goldmine that's just been wasted. When I think about it it makes me sad. That Listers Dump should be our hangout where we watch World Cups and go for post ride beers with our mates. Instead Societi is packed with mountain bikers.

The forested areas should have been opened up for trails YEARS ago. But Alas.

Oh Just BTW. On that. A little birdie told me that Ride in will be setting up a big screen TV and showing the World Cups. They are also supposedly getting on tap beer. 

I think Chris has a little goldmine where he is. The plans he has there... sjoe!

Those horse ladies can be quite aloof.

Guest dilldesigns

Chatted to a manager at Tokai sales office and gave her the scenario of just riding past the guard and telling him you strongly disagree with the price. She said, they will give a spot fine of up to R500 and if its not paid you will get a court date. I asked her, how will they know who the rider is, cause bikes aren't registered like cars and we don't ride with ID books. She gave me a strange look and said 'well I'm not too sure then'.

Now my question is.... has anybody actually been succesfully charged in the courts for riding in the forest without a permit?

Guest DieBees

So Tokai forest has increased their rider entry prices from R45 to R60 in November. A bit of a jump if i have to say so myself. Even though there are less of a forest to ride through, no safety guards in the forest and no water points, so what are we actually paying for? Salaries that i can understand but they are not making the forest better, as a matter of fact the jeep track has huge sink holes in it now and someone tried to fill it up with rocks. So to try and avoid the ridiculous price increase people have been arriving at Tokai before 0800. That's when the staff starts to work at the gate. So any time before 0800 you would go in for free. Well today i think they sucker punched us all. They were waiting for us. I asked when i had to pay and they said they are going to be there now at wait for it ....... 0500. Just so that they can get us to pay. 0500 WTF????? A while a go i heard a family of four (4) complaining cause they cant afford to enter. At R240 that's steep for anyone. Sure get a wild card at R435 for a single or R710 for 2 people. For a family up to 7 members its R870. All still pretty steep prices. I dont even think my virgin membership a year costs that much. Is Tokai the only place Mountain side we can ride without going to Durbanville farms.? Table Mountain is a crime hot spot but it is free. Free ride but stand a chance of being mugged! mmmm tough choice! All other trails on the mountain are banned for cycling. So hubbers any ideas?

You have admitted in your post that you wanted to enter in a dishonest manner. Jys n skelm! Its people like YOU that make it tough. I have to edit my initial post. It is YOU that are causing the increases. It is YOU who is stealing from everyone because life owes you something.

You are dishonest man. You make all cyclists look like you do!

Chatted to a manager at Tokai sales office and gave her the scenario of just riding past the guard and telling him you strongly disagree with the price. She said, they will give a spot fine of up to R500 and if its not paid you will get a court date. I asked her, how will they know who the rider is, cause bikes aren't registered like cars and we don't ride with ID books. She gave me a strange look and said 'well I'm not too sure then'.

Now my question is.... has anybody actually been succesfully charged in the courts for riding in the forest without a permit?

They can legally detain you on grounds of trepassing, and lay a charge against you. In addition to that, they can submit your name to the good guys over at the PPA & AMARider, who have a centralised database linked to ALL major and minor MTB events, which will then cause you to be banned from not only Tokai, but any affiliated route / trail park / race in the greater WC region and shortly the country.

So, in short, you can't just "not give them your details" in the hope that it'll go away and as some form of "protest". Yes, this requires action on their part, but then someone else (who is a paying rider) can also perform a citizen's arrest and wait for the landowner / caretaker to take over with the police.

Not looking so good now, is it?

The unfortunate thing with your scenario is the person that will be affected by your approach is the guard, you know the poor sod who will be the one in trouble for you not paying, while earning minimum wage.

If you think doing this affects the guys at the top you are in for a shock.

Guest Omega Man

Rather don't

I know someone who's been charged in Cecilia Forest for night riding. They use the same legislation to charge you as what they use to charge Rhino poachers Which if you pay the admission of guilt fine results in a criminal record.

So no Alps biking holidays.

Plus there's the blacklist that Myles mentioned so no Argus or access to any recognized riding venue.

Add to that the fact that the collective rage of the mountain biking community will be focused on you. 

They (Sanparks) are desperate for revenue and unfortunately instead of going the route of improving their offering to stimulate numbers they are going the route of fining people.

If you don't want to pay the R60 rather share petrol costs and go with 4 mates to ride Jonkers. Then once you are done go have a nice frosti at Ride In and high 5 each other over the sick ride you've just had.

Rather don't

I know someone who's been charged in Cecilia Forest for night riding. They use the same legislation to charge you as what they use to charge Rhino poachers Which if you pay the admission of guilt fine results in a criminal record.

So no Alps biking holidays.

They (Sanparks) are desperate for revenue and unfortunately instead of going the route of improving their offering to stimulate numbers they are going the route of fining people.

If you don't want to pay the R60 rather share petrol costs and go with 4 mates to ride Jonkers.

yeah, depending on which car you use, that can work out to approx. R 50 per person. If you have a fuel muncher, that can go up to R 75 per person.

Archived