Tokai prices and gate times

ecg15

Guest Omega Man

I've never seen it happen but I know that poking a lion with a short stick will end in tears.

Indeed

I think Woolworths is a rip off. That doesn't give me the right to shoplift there

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need a separate permit for dog walking.

Seriously? I was informed when first taking this out the the Activity card caters for Biking, dog walking, climbing, hiking etc etc.

If you dont want to ride, you get just a dog card at a cheaper price. The activity card needs to be used in conjunction with the green card to go ride in Cape Point. Quite complicated but this is how I understand it.

I also use my activity card to go walk my dogs in Silvermine without issue, gets me past the gate each time. I have been stopped at newlands by rangers who asked for it, and accepted it. I think its safe for dogs and bikes.

Indeed

I think Woolworths is a rip off. That doesn't give me the right to shoplift there

Indeed.

Fisherman need money but fishing quotas are in place to protect fish stocks.

Seriously? I was informed when first taking this out the the Activity card caters for Biking, dog walking, climbing, hiking etc etc.

If you dont want to ride, you get just a dog card at a cheaper price. The activity card needs to be used in conjunction with the green card to go ride in Cape Point. Quite complicated but this is how I understand it.

I also use my activity card to go walk my dogs in Silvermine without issue, gets me past the gate each time. I have been stopped at newlands by rangers who asked for it, and accepted it. I think its safe for dogs and bikes.

Not as far as I know - each activity requires a separate permit and the free entry is only applicable to that activity.

So if I want to hike at Silvermine I have to pay (unless I drive in with a bike in the car and *pretend*).

Not as far as I know - each activity requires a separate permit and the free entry is only applicable to that activity.

So if I want to hike at Silvermine I have to pay (unless I drive in with a bike in the car and *pretend*).

A level 3 permit includes level 1 & 2. You can't do the activities simultaneously. I.E. you can't walk your dog while riding your bike.

edit : spelling

Maybe Tokai permits are steep but if you live and work in the area suck it up and pay. Jonkers or northern suburbs not an option for after work rides in the week, otherwise become a roadie and take your chances with the hooligans on our roads. Boring and probably twice as dangerous. For me my card is paid for within weeks and I have the awesome Tokai mountain to ride thanks to the dedicated folk who look after the trails.

A level 3 permit include level 1 & 2. You can't do the activities simultaneously. I.E. you can't walk your dog while riding your bike.

That isn't what the website (or the guys on the gate at Silvermine) says but then again none of them seem to know what is going on. When I asked at Tokai I was told I would need a separate permit for dog walking.

I also use my activity card to go walk my dogs in Silvermine without issue, gets me past the gate each time.

You have some parts right, so you are not at a complete loss in your understanding. Activity card covers all activities, correct, but you need one for each.

Only thing when taking a dog plus a bike card is that you may not do both at the same time. Walking your dog is just that, walking. It prevents some people's errant dogs from making k@k with other users when the cyclist is not in a position to control their poops who would not be not on a leash at the time..

Edit: I see you have all the answers already. As they ^ said.

Maybe they changed the system. My card is about 3 months old.

No, it has always been like that. To ride your bike in Tokai you have to buy a level 3 activity card. That then include level 1 and 2 activities also, meaning you can walk your dog where it is permitted (like Silvermine and Newlands Forest) using the same card. It also entitles you to ride your bike at some other places like the front of Table Mountain, Silvermine, Red Hill and Cape Point (without having to pay entry fees again). You do not need a Wild card over and above this if you are doing any of the activities you got the Activity card for. If you want to enter for something else, like a lekke braai with the family at Cape point, then you need a Wild Card or you have to pay day entry fees. 

I do understand one cannot use the same card to dog walk and ride etc, and I only do one or the other.

But according to SanParks, and the guy doing the registrations, the activity card allows me to walk my dogs, or ride my bike, or go rock climbing/walking, but not all at the same time etc.

I do understand one cannot use the same card to dog walk and ride etc, and I only do one or the other.

But according to SanParks, and the guy doing the registrations, the activity card allows me to walk my dogs, or ride my bike, or go rock climbing/walking, but not all at the same time etc.

Looks like you are correct, I'm off to beat up the person at Sanparks that misinformed me...

No, it has always been like that. To ride your bike in Tokai you have to buy a level 3 activity card. That then include level 1 and 2 activities also, meaning you can walk your dog where it is permitted (like Silvermine and Newlands Forest) using the same card. It also entitles you to ride your bike at some other places like the front of Table Mountain, Silvermine, Red Hill and Cape Point (without having to pay entry fees again). You do not need a Wild card over and above this if you are doing any of the activities you got the Activity card for. If you want to enter for something else, like a lekke braai with the family at Cape point, then you need a Wild Card or you have to pay day entry fees. 

AHHHH. So you taking up sport climbing?

Looks like you are correct, I'm off to beat up the person at Sanparks that misinformed me...

..I dibs the ribs!

I always knew you were the violent type.. good thing you don't beat up 57 yr olds.

AHHHH. So you taking up sport climbing?

Just such a pity about all the broken bones and titanium body parts I collected over the years or I might have.....wait, wait, wait.......can I play boulles up there? :D

Archived