Sabie experience - in MAY 2015!

NotSoBigBen

The change in date has just taken this race off the agenda for me due to Gravel & Grape plus Sani commitments. It's a pity as I must be one of the few guys that actually enjoyed the challenge that the conditions presented us, especially this year!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a smart move apart from better weather conditions. Many of us "old timers" cannot get into Sani any longer due to them only supporting teams from the previous year and J2C is too far with too big a training commitment. Perfect filler for May in the calendar. Wishing them lots of success.

What pants?

Last two times I was at SabieX there was between 700 and 800 riders ... pretty good numbers for a stage race

What pants? The pants in you name "pants boy" else you will only be known as "boy"

Just check and sabie X had about 400 riders over the 3 different events this year.

Not quiet the 800 you were referring to.

????

What pants?

Last two times I was at SabieX there was between 700 and 800 riders ... pretty good numbers for a stage race, I think. All the trailseeker races I attended last year was sold out, sometimes weeks in advance (3000 riders) and the MTN races was also over 800 riders each.

I'm not seeing the same drop in numbers you are, is all :D Personally I'd like to do them all but I'm not gonna find either the budget or the time this year ... sadly. Will do three Mountains though, and Van Gaalens, will see what else crops up.

Been doing Sabie Experience for around 5 years. There is a very apparent drop in numbers, hence the change of date.

I still maintain it is the change in format that is hurting this race the most.

Keep the race to 4 days, make all 4 proper stages, and allow solo riders and teams. Currently SabieX is seen as a holiday add-on, rather than a tough stage race worthy of doing.

So when do entries open?

Reply from my email to Sabie:

Entries will open in February.  Will update the facebook page and website as soon as info is available.

Been doing Sabie Experience for around 5 years. There is a very apparent drop in numbers, hence the change of date.

Yip, enough said .........

Keep the race to 4 days, make all 4 proper stages, and allow solo riders and teams. Currently SabieX is seen as a holiday add-on, rather than a tough stage race worthy of doing.

Thor, I didn't realise the format changed that much, when Sabie-X was suggested as a good entry level stage race I must say that I was surprised.

I recall this race as being tough ,much tougher than the groomed fun of S2C .

Seems to coincide with Fiona not being involved anymore

What pants? The pants in you name "pants boy" else you will only be known as "boy"

Just check and sabie X had about 400 riders over the 3 different events this year.

Not quiet the 800 you were referring to.

????

Did it in 2012 and 2013 ... not 2014 :)

You know where 'Pants Boy' come from, right? LOL.

• 3 months later...

So how many of you happy campers in for this one?

Only a few days to go! Getting excited!

Rode it last year - was sooooooooo wet but enjoyed it none the less.  U should have a good race this year.

Rode it last year - was sooooooooo wet but enjoyed it none the less.  U should have a good race this year.

I've done a few of the Dec Sabie X's, so will be interesting to see the difference now in May.  Looking forward

IMO, they've gone a bit soft in terms of race distance.

In the 3 events I took part in - the first 2 years were all 70-80Km each on the 3 days, plus the 30Km TT. The last year it was a little less, which is very similar to the 51/66/62 they're advertising for 2015.

It's now not the same event that is was known for back in the late 2000's - a good, hard, but satisfying mountain biking event.

My 2C worth, as to why I'm not doing it.

Edit: deleted the comment about the cost.

Just finished the solo and I've enjoyed few races like this one.

1st for all you hubbers - Race packs were insane, I had to make room in the car for all the goodies.

Then the route, yes it was shorter than previous years, and some would frown upon that, but it allowed mere mortals as myself a chance to 'race' the route instead of just surviving, definitely a different experience. And you're done with enough time to spend the rest of the day with the family. Don't get me wrong, it was no walk in the park, 3 days (as per the solo race) and I'm thoroughly sore from head to toe.

It was hard enough to be a challenge, but doable enough to enjoy. Moving it to May is brilliant, mornings started cool, but warmed up enough to be pleasant during the rides without dying. Had no rain!! I'll definitely be back next year.

Archived