Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Who is using an Android TV Box? What brand, where did you get it and how much? Lots available online but locally seems to be limited choices...

I have a WD TV Live but I think it is looking to check out soon... Looking at options. Looking at Android box because of the Kodi App as well as all the other apps available from the Playstore. All to be connected to a Samsung Smart TV.

Take your pick here - http://www.dbg.co.za/index.php?cPath=144_109

I have an 8-H - becasue of the extra keyboard.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the Android TV Box better or the same as Apple TV?

Much better - cheaper to run too....

(I do have an apple tv - currently unplugged)

For those of you worried about loosing sport, especially SA cricket and Rugby.  SABC usually broadcast all SA games live, so you can change your package to DSTV Easy View, price is actually dropping from R39 to R29/month with the new prices :)

'Been using easy view for years now - basically to get digital quality "free" channels. But the Decoder's were sh**, the customer service worse and the billing problems the worst.

Using OpenView now. The same channels as DSTV Easy View. The same dish (no adjustments required). Absolutely zero monthly fees.

Watched an episode of HIMYM on (someone else's subscription) Comedy Central the other day. The same 5 ads, every ad break. Some shown TWICE per ad break.

I guess that's one of the things that put me off DSTV the most - the ad breaks. Anyone who binged on TDF last year would know the feeling of nausea when they see anything "Cecil Nurse"  :wacko: 

'Been using easy view for years now - basically to get digital quality "free" channels. But the Decoder's were sh**, the customer service worse and the billing problems the worst.

Using OpenView now. The same channels as DSTV Easy View. The same dish (no adjustments required). Absolutely zero monthly fees.

thats quite useful to know....I dont have a dish though so not sure it is worth the R1200

I need someone to volunteer to write a "For Dummies" guide to using a Android set top box and the installation of Apps on these and the creation of accounts which provide you with x, y and z viewing options.

Went and tried to get an understanding of NTV yesterday and suddenly I'm looking at Euro priced subscriptions. And Kodi? Is this an App that gives you sports only? Free?

I've only delved as far as using Netflix and Showmax and then potentially using Chromecast (Showmax not able to yet) and various HDMI cables and adapters to get the picture to the TV.

Feeling terribly out of my comfort zone and it's only worse because this is something I really want to do yet can't for a lack of understanding.

I need someone to volunteer to write a "For Dummies" guide to using a Android set top box and the installation of Apps on these and the creation of accounts which provide you with x, y and z viewing options.

Went and tried to get an understanding of NTV yesterday and suddenly I'm looking at Euro priced subscriptions. And Kodi? Is this an App that gives you sports only? Free?

I've only delved as far as using Netflix and Showmax and then potentially using Chromecast (Showmax not able to yet) and various HDMI cables and adapters to get the picture to the TV.

Feeling terribly out of my comfort zone and it's only worse because this is something I really want to do yet can't for a lack of understanding.

I am no expert and found kodi.tv a useful website.

Think of Kodi as your operating system. You then load add-ons (think often as programs). Each add-on like ntv has a number of channels that you can watch.

Some you pay for, like you mentioned ntv. It gives more than DSTV at half the price. Other add-ons are free, but not always reliable or of good quality. Same as with apps you get free for your smartphone, some are good and some ridiculous.

Free add-ons that work well are Genesis (movies and series) but no longe maintained so will start having dead links. Replace with Exodus. Other useful ones include Filmon and cCloud.

Some baked channels like YouTube can be linked to Kodi, Internet radio etc. I have not yet manage to find an app for Netflix or Hulu on Kodi.

CCloud has some sport and Sportsdevil is also popular. But search a specific event and Kodi and you are likely to find an add-on to use even if just for the duration of the event

What Android STB are you using?

Thanks for the baby steps, Joe.

Grebel, I'm not using a STB yet. Too worried I buy something which ends up not being appropriate. I had a look at the link from V12man (http://www.dbg.co.za...p?cPath=144_109) I like the idea of the Neo X6. Also been thinking of the Chromecast as mentioned previously. I have no idea of how many Apps are compatible though.

Grebel, I'm not using a STB yet. Too worried I buy something which ends up not being appropriate. I had a look at the link from V12man (http://www.dbg.co.za...p?cPath=144_109) I like the idea of the Neo X6. Also been thinking of the Chromecast as mentioned previously. I have no idea of how many Apps are compatible though.

I wouldn't go for a chromecast - then you have to have another device casting to it...bit pointless - rather have one device that does everything. I have a roku but I fear I should have got an Android box to enable me to run filmon and some of the sports channels...but...if there is a channel for the roku then it works splendidly

This is all new to me, and I loaded Kodi last night on my tablet.

It took a while to install a zip folder from http://fusion.tvaddons.ag, but I eventually got Phoenix or Exodus (can't remember now).

Once loaded, the girls were able to watch a few cartoons, and when the wife saw the selection here eyes went  :w00t: , so step 1 is firmly underway.

Now I need to find a suitable media player so I can hook it up to the TV (which isn't a smart TV at all). Any suggestions?

Secondly, I saw anti-virus software advertised with one of the media players (think it was on Amazon - user also bought this). Is AV software required? Stoopid question, but I am a noob after all.

I just ordered an MXQ Pro 4k box that apparently runs 5.1 Lollipop and it can process 4k. Probably the only reason that I bought that one is because it comes with Kodi pre installed. I have Kodi installed in my S6 with Sports Devil and with a bit of searching it gets me what I want. I am hoping to have the same success with the STB.

I am currently using a WD TV Live but had an issue with it recently playing H.265 format files. Also find that it could be limited with all the streaming options that are becoming available to us.

I can't see any way to add apps either to the WD where as the Android STB is at the mercy of the Playstore and from what I've seen, if you can't find what you are looking for in the Playstore, you aren't looking hard enough!

I just ordered an MXQ Pro 4k box that apparently runs 5.1 Lollipop and it can process 4k. Probably the only reason that I bought that one is because it comes with Kodi pre installed. I have Kodi installed in my S6 with Sports Devil and with a bit of searching it gets me what I want. I am hoping to have the same success with the STB.

I am currently using a WD TV Live but had an issue with it recently playing H.265 format files. Also find that it could be limited with all the streaming options that are becoming available to us.

I can't see any way to add apps either to the WD where as the Android STB is at the mercy of the Playstore and from what I've seen, if you can't find what you are looking for in the Playstore, you aren't looking hard enough!

sauce?