Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Anyone here doing interesting things or have experience with Raspberry Pi computers?

I recently set up a Pi 2 to do all my downloading and to host Plex. Works great.

Next plan is to build one next to the TV running KODI.

Also RPi2 with Kodi. Paying for NTV but occasionally use filmontv and have now started with exodus. Using a Roku3 for Hulu and Netflix. ADSL with unotelly in support.

Idea is to move Roku to bedroom for wife but saving for a projector for lounge before I move the tv.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I decided enough is enough and that DSTV can shove it. I sat down and did all the math and realised that for DSTV as of next months increase and a 2mb uncapped line I was paying R1400 per month. That is a stupid amount of money to pay in todays technological environment when there are ways of watching everything online via streaming etc. 

Therefore I decided to cancel DSTV and go the streaming route. I have now increased my line speed to 8mb via Afrihost. I will buy a Amazon Firestick and load Kodi on there, this enables me to merely move the stick from TV to TV if I so desire or just use my laptop as I have been and connect to the bedroom TV and leave the stick in the main lounge. At R1800 from takealot it is still cheaper than a DSTV Xplora decoder and I am still able to load Netflix etc. 

People are worried about sport, as was I, but I am going to use my in-laws smart card number and use that to stream straight from supersport or purchase a drifta at R49 pm and stream that off my laptop.

The sums made sense. An 8mb uncapped line and telephone line from Telkom is R588 pm, 8mb uncapped from Afrihost is R399 pm, for a grand saving of R450 or so a month. This means I can still watch my sport whenever I want, stream whatever I want and not have to give one more worry about DSTV ever again, and that is what I call freedom!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Edited by JScottP

You can cancel by going online to the self service page and just disconnecting there. No waiting or incompetent people making your life difficult. In saying that I can't wait for telkom to upgrade my line to 8mb/s and I can go in there and tell them exactly why I'm cancelling, I know that person can't do anything about it but it should give me a few minutes of satisfaction :clap:

This has been my only snag, currently have a 4mb which averages around 3.2-3.6 on a good day, so Netflix etc all work ok, but let someone in the house check FaceTube and it starts buffering.

Currently have DSTV and Netflix + Hulu, need to make a decision soon as with all 3 its costing a small fortune.

For those of you worried about loosing sport, especially SA cricket and Rugby.  SABC usually broadcast all SA games live, so you can change your package to DSTV Easy View, price is actually dropping from R39 to R29/month with the new prices :)

You can then stream everything else movies/tv/docu/sport using your internet media box... and still watch SA rugby and cricket on SABC as an option ... especially with world Twenty20 cricket coming up and any championship rugby games later in the season.

Dstv cancelled. Got remainder of month. Android boxes all setup. Can run 2 on my 8meg line. Wife has all the chick stuff to watch. One of her shows she watches has 98 seasons. Eish. I bet dstv is still repeating season 22.

Kids have all the disney stuff on demand. Everything.

Waaaayyy better than dstv catchup

Still sorting out the live sport. Can see euros port, sky channels etc. Will see how that pans out.

Who is using an Android TV Box? What brand, where did you get it and how much? Lots available online but locally seems to be limited choices...

I have a WD TV Live but I think it is looking to check out soon... Looking at options. Looking at Android box because of the Kodi App as well as all the other apps available from the Playstore. All to be connected to a Samsung Smart TV.

People are worried about sport, as was I, but I am going to use my in-laws smart card number and use that to stream straight from supersport or purchase a drifta at R49 pm and stream that off my laptop.

using your in-laws is cheating  :ph34r:  get an NTV subscription and that will sort that out.

I dont think you can use drifta without a premium subscription

using your in-laws is cheating  :ph34r:  get an NTV subscription and that will sort that out.

You can subscribe to DSTV Mobile on it's own AFAIK

I've done some searching for NTV and get varying results.

http://ntv.mx/

I take it that we are all talking about the link above?

You can get a drifta for R49 pm without having a subscription, but have access to DSTv mobile for free if you are a premium subscriber. Its not cheating if I ask them first :ph34r:

Just placed an order for an MXQ Pro TV Box with Android 5.1 Here's hoping that from the reviews that I read, it does what I want it to do....

Woke up late to the fact that a family member is coming out to SA from UK in the next few days and needed to get this to her ASAP. 

It has Kodi pre-installed as well as Google Playstore so will add Netflix App if it doesn't already have and the specs seem fine for the hardware that I currently have as well as room for improvement. Just need to juice up the internet bundle now....