Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it.

I could install Kodi onto my old Galaxy S3 and either "cast it" or have it connected via cable to the TV.

It would be quite a lot easier not having to get up and go across to the phone should the casting function not work with Kodi.

As I understand it.

I could install Kodi onto my old Galaxy S3 and either "cast it" or have it connected via cable to the TV.

It would be quite a lot easier not having to get up and go across to the phone should the casting function not work with Kodi.

Think I am going to get a microUSB to HDMI connector and connect my old S3 and then make a comparison between my roku and that...the advantage with the kodi options is that they will give me the sports channels

OK so I've read a thousand different options here but was is your total monthly spend for your various options. DSTV is say R800.00 a month...what is your viewing costing you?

OK so I've read a thousand different options here but was is your total monthly spend for your various options. DSTV is say R800.00 a month...what is your viewing costing you?

Mnet analogue - i must be one of the last remaining few - R369 (new price)

TV License - R200/12 -so plus minus R17

Getflix - $5

Netflix - $10 (not every month...only when I want to watch something - or its holidays for the kids)

BBC iplayer - R0

4oD - R0

2Mb line - R150

80Gb Data  - R100

Edited by Stretch

Think I am going to get a microUSB to HDMI connector and connect my old S3 and then make a comparison between my roku and that...the advantage with the kodi options is that they will give me the sports channels

For the TdF etc it would seem one still needs a VPN/blocker of some sort. It seems for a lot of things one still needs a blocker up front.

ok - i did a little test to see if i could stream the cricket. Installed kodi on my phone

installed sportsdevil

chose LiveTV.ru

chose cricket

chose Sri lanka vs pakistan (on at the moment)

No stream available......

what am i doing wrong?

Getflix - $5

Netflix - $10 (not every month...only when I want to watch something - or its holidays for the kids)

BBC iplayer - R0

4oD - R0

Don't forget your internet fees.

ok - i did a little test to see if i could stream the cricket. Installed kodi on my phone

installed sportsdevil

chose LiveTV.ru

chose cricket

chose Sri lanka vs pakistan (on at the moment)

No stream available......

what am i doing wrong?

In my limited experience some of the free channels are free because they don't always work or have plenty adverts, so the irritation is to find multiple sources.

As an example, Genesis is/was a very popular add-on for movies and series. But it is actually an empty shall that allows you to pick something you want to watch and then it gives you a number of sites that "should" have that stream.

After struggling too much with that for sport, I went the ntv route and pay for my sport.

I wouldn't go for a chromecast - then you have to have another device casting to it...bit pointless - rather have one device that does everything. I have a roku but I fear I should have got an Android box to enable me to run filmon and some of the sports channels...but...if there is a channel for the roku then it works splendidly

With the Roku it is useful to search for private channels that were set up that you can activate on your roku. During rugby World Cup last year there was such a channel that showed all the games live and for free

Getflix - $5

BBC iplayer - R0

4oD - R0

2Mb line - R150

80Gb Data - R100

Interesting...thanks for the info

OK... Managed to find a cricket stream and also tested with a TV show through genesis. Then mira casted from my phone to my roku. Streaming was fine but the casting made it a bit jumpy in places with the TV show.. The cricket was fine.

Gonna carry on testing. I reckon it would be better to have a direct connection without having to cast

Edited by Stretch

LOL. Wooooooosh

Link for the bloody box, you cretin.

Hehe I'm on my mobile. Have a look at post 481. There is a link there.

I have Kodi on my S6 and haven't been able to cast to my TV... am I missing something? It is possible as I can cast from Youtube to my TV and the WD...