Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Netflix costs me just over R100 a month, I use unotelly for the DNS thingy and that's just over R50 a month. 4mb adsl 60gig cap and it's more than enough for me. Still have Dstv cause my wife thinks we need it. I use PayPal for both services

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use FNB's version of Paypal for Unotelly but I'm pretty sure they'll take an SA credit card. DNS location changers are semi legal is it is so I can't imagine they'll be to picky about where you pay them from. I pay both Netflix and Hulu with an SA credit card using an American street address. The address is not validated, only the zip code is. In other words, you can use your own street address, but use 90210 Beverly Hills California as suburb and zip code.

• 2 weeks later...

so showmax was launched last night

R99/month

not a bad price..but it looks like everything is a season behind....who watches stuff from last season?

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/135712-tv-series-on-showmax-for-sa-revealed.html

http://www.showmax.com/eng/

anyway - heaps of content and i see they have some obscure stuff like alpha's..(even though its 4 years old)

nothing i'm interested in though...

I have been thinking about this for some time now,gatvol of repeats on dstv,paying R800 for premium (which by the way only have a few ok-ish channels). Me and my more beautiful other half are now looking at having ADSL installed,so that we can download movies/series,and watch it whenever we have time and when we are not cycling. Who else are doing the internet tv thing,is it worth it,because I heard stories about lines being made slow to hamper steaming ect (but I intend to download,not stream). Can anybody please give me some tips ect?

I enjoy apple tv - limited stuff, but a MTBer should love RedBullTv... also youtube on there is fun

Other thing Get VPN unlimiited ( and an ADSL line - get Netflix and enjoy away (dont need a US credit card as few years ago - can just use paypal)

Vpn unlimited going cheap now

https://deals.iphonelife.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription?utm_source=iphonelife&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2015-07-02_iphonelife_10-ft-mfi-braided-lightning-cable-black-white&utm_content=vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

Netflix costs me just over R100 a month, I use unotelly for the DNS thingy and that's just over R50 a month. 4mb adsl 60gig cap and it's more than enough for me. Still have Dstv cause my wife thinks we need it. I use PayPal for both services

My ADSL at FNB is uncapped, unshapped, 4mbs at R0 per month (just pay line rental at telkom)  :w00t:

In the (what I thought would be a slow) processof getting rid of DSTV, I set up ADSL line with Raspberry Pi, with Wireless USB dongle connected to the TV.

On the PI I am running OSMC ( WWW.OSMC.TV ) In the OSMC repository, there are numerous add-ons like Youtube, Vimeo, Redbulltv etc etc etc.

Not wanting to splash out on unotelly and Netflix, I installed the Genesis app.

Gave the wife a brief how-to and I have not been able to pry her hands off the remote ever since.

Been very happy so far. Should be able to let DSTV go within the next couple of months.

The "rush to stream" is happening at a brisk pace in SA, and I think soon before long we will have a variety of service providers like Netflix to choose from.

Only thing that will determine if I keep on using genesis, is what kind of content will be available on the more legal pay to stream services.

Edit> Running 4meg line with 100gigs capped using about 4gigs per day over week-ends and about half that per day during the week.

Edited by RocknRolla

so showmax was launched last night

R99/month

not a bad price..but it looks like everything is a season behind....who watches stuff from last season?

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/135712-tv-series-on-showmax-for-sa-revealed.html

http://www.showmax.com/eng/

anyway - heaps of content and i see they have some obscure stuff like alpha's..(even though its 4 years old)

nothing i'm interested in though...

Signed up... I think it could be worth while... a lot of shows I am interested in.

wanted to give it a go...

Trying to connect though - and the episode starts, runs a minute (60seconds every time) and stops gooing an "error occurred" 

So I think there is some teething problems

(and I am on a 50mb/s wifi connection at work - speedtest says 43mb down and 14.5 upload, ping 22 - maybe not streaming here is a good thing for my productivity!!! :eek: )

My ADSL at FNB is uncapped, unshapped, 4mbs at R0 per month (just pay line rental at telkom)  :w00t:

On a certain "bank" package?

On a certain "bank" package?

any account with ebuck...

more ebucks = more discount

level 1 = 20 % discount

levle 5 = 100% discount (and you dont need a lot of ebucks to get here)

any account with ebuck...

more ebucks = more discount

level 1 = 20 % discount

levle 5 = 100% discount (and you dont need a lot of ebucks to get here)

Cool, thanks. Still with Standard Bank, but looking at moving over to FNB.

Not wanting to splash out on unotelly and Netflix, I installed the Genesis app.

I recently stumbled across Genesis as well as Sportsdevil. So far only installed Kodi for Android on my phone (Samsung S4) and had a look at what's available on Genesis and done a quick stream on Sportsdevil with SkySports channel. Worked OK. Tablet software needs to be upgraded to Kit Kat for Kodi to be installed on there. Next mission is to figure out a way to share with my Smart TV without buying a Chromecast... Would be awesome to use the All Share App but not sure if that's possible yet....

Grebel, as i understand it your smart tv needs to be connected to either wired or wirelss network ( not using chromecast) in order to use all share.

But I am certainly not knowledgable regardign android products. As for Genesis, my mate gave me a repository with apparently some supersport sources on, he asked my to install to test.

I will do it sometime, however, other than DH and XCO I really dont watch sports on SS