Goodbye Dstv

corriekuilder

Cool thanks. I have a smarttv & appletv and was thinking of setting up the DNS address at the incoming router so that all the devices connected to the router will see the Unotelly address. Do you reckon this will work? At the moment I'm using googledns.

That's exactly how my setup works. Set the UnoTelly DNS addresses in the DHCP section of your router so that every device on the network asking for an IP address gets the UnoTelly DNS as the standard.

Another trick that works really well is to have the router automatically update UnoTelly whenever its IP changes like after a reset or when Telkom decides to reset the connection. UnoTelly has good instructions how to do this on their site somewhere.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Featherbrew

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly how my setup works. Set the UnoTelly DNS addresses in the DHCP section of your router so that every device on the network asking for an IP address gets the UnoTelly DNS as the standard.

Another trick that works really well is to have the router automatically update UnoTelly whenever it's IP changes like after a reset or when Telkom decides to reset the connection. UnoTelly has good instructions how to do this on their site somewhere.

Thanks!

Another trick that works really well is to have the router automatically update UnoTelly whenever its IP changes like after a reset or when Telkom decides to reset the connection. UnoTelly has good instructions how to do this on their site somewhere.

Edit: Grammar

And add static routes for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on the DSL router which are the Google DNS that most devices will try connect via fist (Chromecast, Apple TV etc will try these so you need to block them which forces the device to use the unoTelly DNS)

I've never managed to get the auto IP update working. So often I need to go to the website and press the damn flashing box !

I've never managed to get the auto IP update working. So often I need to go to the website and press the damn flashing box !

Do you have a PC running in the house? - alternatively, if not, get a Raspberry Pi and load a simple Linux distribution on it, then you can install the Unotelly app that will keep it updated for you.

I have a small server continuously running that runs the Unotelly application, and between that and Dynamic DNS for external access I have had no issues connecting from inside out or from the internet back to the house (CCTV, IoT devices etc)

I use the unotelly with a Roku so update via iPad when needed. Bought a RPi December for NTV sport, still figuring out what else I want to load. Trying to get the iVue EPG going now, think Netflix and Hulu next so Roku can move to bedroom

Interesting, well to me anyway, discovery. I changed TV and a PC DNS to Unotelly to access US Netflix. No problems, lots of new content not on SA side. But certain movies are now DVD at extra $7.99 a month but are still free if DNS just the bog standard allocated on my router by telkom as used by some PC and the kids tablets.

Interesting, well to me anyway, discovery. I changed TV and a PC DNS to Unotelly to access US Netflix. No problems, lots of new content not on SA side. But certain movies are now DVD at extra $7.99 a month but are still free if DNS just the bog standard allocated on my router by telkom as used by some PC and the kids tablets.

i have no idea what you are saying here

VPN works, but Unotelly DNS removes the reliance on the internet breakout speed from where your VPN is terminating in the US.

With the DNS option you use your own bandwidth all the way to the Netflix US servers directly, with VPN you say have 10Mbps from your house to the VPN server and possibly share 100Mbps between hundreds of people - unless you have a private server with a decent breakout that you are using, :-))

Netflix are gonna get you now they are here.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/152097-netflix-cracking-down-on-vpn-and-proxy-users.html

i have no idea what you are saying here

Maybe a picture will help.

With DNS changed:

post-35786-0-04187300-1452864483_thumb.jpg

On device with bog standard DNS set automatically:

post-35786-0-80940700-1452865220_thumb.png

post-35786-0-70452400-1452865218_thumb.png

As you can see no extra subscription needed if DNS set to SA.

Anyone else experiencing problems with Netflix / Unotelly if using thier DNS addresses?

I'm on getflix... And just checked.. It pushed me to the SA one... Bastards

So we will need new DNS from Unotelly ...

Edit: what's the quickest way to see if you are on South African and not US Netflix?

Edited by Joeboy69

Anyone else experiencing problems with Netflix / Unotelly if using thier DNS addresses?

Weird. I'm unable to access Netflix from my pc via UnoTelly (DNS error) but my AppleTv on the same network still works fine. Hope its just a temporary issue.

So we will need new DNS from Unotelly ...

Edit: what's the quickest way to see if you are on South African and not US Netflix?

Check if House Of Cards is available. It's not in the SA store due to Multichoice owning the rights in SA.