Selfish Road Cyclists

ninazyla

Tuesday and Thursday week morning rides from Sea Point area to Chappies and back are generally a busy training route between 5:15 and 8am. Throw into the mix extensive road works on Victoria Drive and the Argus event in less than 8 weeks and the circus is back. But if everyone follow simple rules i.e SINGLE file, stopping at traffic lights and just a friendly morning "hi", then there is space for plenty for all kind of road users.

But this does not appeal to a bunch of morons this morning who think they are all going to podium or all do sub 3 at the 2015 Argus event. About 20 + riders ( racing snakes) started just after we past them approximately 5:30 from the Ambassador hotel ( Bantry Bay). It is was a stunning morning and as usual an awesome ride until this group came flying past us on the return straight into Camps Bay. I have no problem if you are doing a time trial but rather go to a track so that the rest of us are not endangered please, some of us actually enjoy cycling whilst taking in our pristine and privileged surroundings. Not only were they cycling more than 2 aside, they were taking over the entire left lane! Cars were hooting, people were shouting and swearing, fingers pointing but they could not be bothered as they were snaking up towards Clifton.

Sadly a lot of them were wearing JOC cycling kit which is terrible for John O'Connor Cycling, cause I know this is NOT what John stands for. I wish I had a camera to send their images to PPA cause they do not deserve to be on our roads, no wonder the motorists are getting "gatvol" with some roadies.

In the words of Ellen De Generes : " be kind to one another"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DieBees

Tuesday and Thursday week morning rides from Sea Point area to Chappies and back are generally a busy training route between 5:15 and 8am. Throw into the mix extensive road works on Victoria Drive and the Argus event in less than 8 weeks and the circus is back. But if everyone follow simple rules i.e SINGLE file, stopping at traffic lights and just a friendly morning "hi", then there is space for plenty for all kind of road users.

But this does not appeal to a bunch of morons this morning who think they are all going to podium or all do sub 3 at the 2015 Argus event. About 20 + riders ( racing snakes) started just after we past them approximately 5:30 from the Ambassador hotel ( Bantry Bay). It is was a stunning morning and as usual an awesome ride until this group came flying past us on the return straight into Camps Bay. I have no problem if you are doing a time trial but rather go to a track so that the rest of us are not endangered please, some of us actually enjoy cycling whilst taking in our pristine and privileged surroundings. Not only were they cycling more than 2 aside, they were taking over the entire left lane! Cars were hooting, people were shouting and swearing, fingers pointing but they could not be bothered as they were snaking up towards Clifton.

Sadly a lot of them were wearing JOC cycling kit which is terrible for John O'Connor Cycling, cause I know this is NOT what John stands for. I wish I had a camera to send their images to PPA cause they do not deserve to be on our roads, no wonder the motorists are getting "gatvol" with some roadies.

So selfish! Making the whole community look bad.

I have to agree with this. The morning training rides are great but the groups are too big which often results in mob mentality and a general don't-give-a-**** attitude. 

Not the best way to improve biker-motorist relations!

Guest DieBees

I have to agree with this. The morning training rides are great but the groups are too big which often results in mob mentality and a general don't-give-a-**** attitude.

Not the best way to improve biker-motorist relations!

Please watch your language?

Admin, please remove this post. This is a family site.

Group too big? Are you joking?

Safety in numbers, can only see a change once motorists stop killing cyclists.

I have no problem if you are doing a time trial but rather go to a track so that the rest of us are not endangered please, some of us actually enjoy cycling whilst taking in our pristine and privileged surroundings.

Hey not everybody rides for the view or have access to a track, some people ride to train. Stop being selfish. :whistling:

Here we go again.

This is the first of 2015 ....

us roadies own the road, with our CSA membership (minimum charge)

we have paid our right to occupy the road, just as the license fee of any small car

If you have something to say, or show fingers,

i'll just frough you wiff my front wheel, frew your window   :ph34r:

Interesting that you bring this up. I generally concur with what you are saying wholeheartedly (bar the bit about time trialists needing to go to a track). 

I was at dinner with my mother the other night and her friend asked me "why do cyclists in groups feel they can take up the whole road?"

My girlfriend's step-mother asked me the exact same thing about 6 weeks ago.

My friend asked me the same thing over the past weekend. 

My sense is that the general "non-cycling" public are under the impression that the majority of cyclists are selfish and don't adhere to traffic laws. 

The actions of a few can definitely impact the whole.

Second sucks

Slow riders please keep to the left

Cyclists should have the right of way like hikers on a mountain.

In fact maybe they do if you dig into the law

Quoting Ellen de Generes, talk show host, nogal.

:whistling:

Anycase, saw this graphic on Facebook.

There's value there.

10390300_719617441435608_163742085346027

There definitely is value there, but I think it does depend on the road (width, shoulder etc) and the amount of traffic (cars).

Archived