Selfish Road Cyclists

ninazyla

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road or pedal cycle lane unless—

(a) the pedal cycle is fitted on the front with a white retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 186(3) of the National Regulations; and

(b) the pedal cycle is fitted on the rear with a red retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 187(4) of the National Regulations.

Oh Sheeeet. 

Now I'm going to have to fit reflectors to the Cannondale before I go down to Slaapstad to ride the August.

Do they make them in carbon? What's the weight?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? How can you say that with such certainty?

Were they giving other motorists the finger?

Talk about leaping to confusions!

Well that's the reaction you get 9 out of 10 times, but hey I could have been wrong this time...who knows :whistling:

Well that's the reaction you get 9 out of 10 times, but hey I could have been wrong this time...who knows :whistling:

9 times out of 10  :eek:

But you okes in Cape Town were supposed to be the laid-back ones.

On my rides out here in the badlands of Jozi, you can hardly see the road ahead through the forest of thumbs-ups and Thank-you Waves to motorists  :thumbup:

Oh Sheeeet.

Now I'm going to have to fit reflectors to the Cannondale before I go down to Slaapstad to ride the August.

Reflectors on my speed machine

Aaassrrrgghhhh

9 times out of 10  :eek:

But you okes in Cape Town were supposed to be the laid-back ones.

On my rides out here in the badlands of Jozi, you can hardly see the road ahead through the forest of thumbs-ups and Thank-you Waves to motorists  :thumbup:

Good for you :thumbup:

Good for you :thumbup:

Yup. Thanks.

And maybe, in many of these "9 out of 10" cases, it's got a little less to do with the fingerer than the fingeree  :whistling:

Yup. Thanks.

And maybe, in many of these "9 out of 10" cases, it's got a little less to do with the fingerer than the fingeree  :whistling:

Oh ja, and as advised by The Odinson yesterday.....

NO HOMO!!!!

Oh Sheeeet. 

You wont need to, people naturally avoid getting close to Dale's :)

Oh Sheeeet. 

YOU READ ALL THAT :eek:  

Legislation in the Western Cape. In my view if motorists and cyclist comply with the legislation below cycling life will be a happy place! Can only keep on hoping both parties will keep it simple and comply with the law! It easy.....or isn't it......

PROVINCIAL NOTICE

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT AND PUBLIC WORKS

P.N. 372/2013 20 November 2013

WESTERN CAPE PROVINCIAL ROAD TRAFFIC ADMINISTRATION ACT, 2012 (ACT 6 OF 2012):

SAFETY OF CYCLISTS REGULATIONS, 2013

The Provincial Minister of Transport and Public Works in the Western Cape, under section 8(1)© of the Western Cape Provincial Road Traffic

Administration Act, 2012 (Act 6 of 2012), has made the regulations set out in the Schedule.

SCHEDULE

Definitions

1. In these regulations, any word or expression defined in the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act 93 of 1996), or theWestern Cape Provincial Road

Traffic Administration Act, 2012 (Act 6 of 2012), has the same meaning and, unless the context indicates otherwise—

‘‘cyclist’’ means a person who rides or attempts to ride a pedal cycle;

‘‘National Regulations’’ means the National Road Traffic Regulations, 2000;

‘‘pedal cycle lane’’means any area forming part of a public road and which has been designated by the appropriate road traffic sign or road marking

for the exclusive use of cyclists.

Duties of driver of motor vehicle when passing cyclist

2. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle who passes a cyclist on a public road must—

(a) exercise due care while passing the cyclist;

(b) leave a distance between the motor vehicle and the cyclist of at least one metre; and

© maintain that distance from the cyclist until safely clear of the cyclist.

(2) Despite any solid barrier line or other road traffic sign prohibiting encroachment upon the right-hand side of the road, the driver of a motor

vehicle on a public road may, where the roadway is not wide enough to comply with subregulation (1)(b) or © when passing a cyclist,

encroach on that part of the road to his or her right, but only if—

(a) it can be done without obstructing or endangering other persons or vehicles;

(b) it is safe to do so; and

© it can be done and is done for a period and distance not longer than is necessary to pass the cyclist.

Duties of cyclists

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when

crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(2) When riding on a public road, a cyclist must—

(a) give conspicuous driving signals as contemplated in regulation 300 and Part II of Chapter X of the National Regulations; and

(b) stop in the circumstances contemplated in regulation 307 of the National Regulations.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—

(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at

an intersection;

(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;

© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or

(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.

(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—

(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or

(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

20 November 2013 Province of the Western Cape: Provincial Gazette Extraordinary 7194 5

Lamps and reflectors on pedal cycles

4. (1) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road or pedal cycle lane during the period between sunset and sunrise unless—

(a) the pedal cycle is fitted in the front with a head lamp capable of emitting a white light in accordance with regulations 158 and 178 of

the National Regulations;

(b) the pedal cycle is fitted at the rear with a rear lamp capable of emitting a red light in accordance with regulations 158 and 178 of the

National Regulations; and

© the head lamp and rear lamp are kept lighted.

(2) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road or pedal cycle lane at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable

weather conditions, persons or vehicles on the public road or pedal cycle lane are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres, unless

the head lamp and rear lamp are kept lighted.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road or pedal cycle lane unless—

(a) the pedal cycle is fitted on the front with a white retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 186(3) of the National Regulations; and

(b) the pedal cycle is fitted on the rear with a red retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 187(4) of the National Regulations.

Races and sporting events for cyclists on public roads

5. The Minister or the local authority concerned, as the case may be, may, in granting consent in terms of regulation 317(2) of the National

Regulations in respect of a pedal cycle race or pedal cycle sporting event on a public road, exempt any person, or category of persons, taking part

in that race or event from any provision of these regulations.

Offences and penalties

6. Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with any provision of these regulations commits an offence, and on conviction is liable to a fine

or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year.

Short title

7. These regulations are called the Safety of Cyclists Regulations, 2013.

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I wasn't sure

Oh Sheeeet.

numba 5,race exemption might save you

Iffy to comment on this, they are not exactly riding side by side. In this photo the one rider is behind the other but more away from the side of the road. But yes if they were like this would a friendly hoot not have gotten their attention?

Maybe the rider behind was moeg and just hanging on and not really thinking?

If I were that rider a friendly hoot would have got me back in position and a sorry wave from me.

Or the motorist could look at the solid white line and obey the law by not overtaking.

Right there it doesn't matter if in single file or ten deep (and for the record I hate seeing guys riding side by side because you just know that somewhere there is a motorist getting just that bit closer to doing something aggressive and stupid because of them).

Or the motorist could look at the solid white line and obey the law by not overtaking.

Right there it doesn't matter if in single file or ten deep (and for the record I hate seeing guys riding side by side because you just know that somewhere there is a motorist getting just that bit closer to doing something aggressive and stupid because of them).

Precisely!!!

Yet the hubpolice are always quick to condemn cyclists. The biggest flaw in the SA cycling legislation and the 1m Western Cape bylaw is that it does not expressly gove cyclists the right of way which is political cop out, so typical of all recent laws in SA because of this crap "everyone has rights".

For law to be clear it has to be biased toward one party.

Quoting Ellen de Generes, talk show host, nogal.

:whistling:

Anycase, saw this graphic on Facebook.

There's value there.

10390300_719617441435608_163742085346027

Yep this is exactly how I feel. I am happy to take an entire lane when I feel the road is too busy or narrow for a car to try squeeze by.

Nothing selfish here.

Should the strict interpretation of the rule apply?

Quoting Ellen de Generes, talk show host, nogal.

:whistling:

Anycase, saw this graphic on Facebook.

There's value there.

10390300_719617441435608_163742085346027

Indeed!

Although cyclists should ride in single file, the law also states that a car should overtake safely in an overtaking zone as it would were they overtaking a car, a motorbike or a horse-drawn cart. South African drivers have no regard for the law and feel its their right to squeeze past a cyclist at all times and the cyclist must just get out the way. To prevent this, riding two abreast is often safer. 

Precisely!!!

Yet the hubpolice are always quick to condemn cyclists. The biggest flaw in the SA cycling legislation and the 1m Western Cape bylaw is that it does not expressly gove cyclists the right of way which is political cop out, so typical of all recent laws in SA because of this crap "everyone has rights".

For law to be clear it has to be biased toward one party.

You should point out this "hubpolice" to us so we can be vigilant. I haven't seen them here yet: only people with opinions around...

So we live in an era of absolute entitlement. Cyclists, motorists, runners, everyone claims the road exclusively for themselves. The inconsiderate driver claims the entire road for the car, and the inconsiderate GoLefty!! here claims the entire road for the bicycle.

On Sunday I was riding along between Fish Hoek and Simon's Town with the Red Hill run going on. The event obviously couldn't get full road closure and on this stretch runners were forced to run in half of the left lane going towards Simon's Town. There were a lot of cyclists going toward Simon's Town. I was absolutely gobsmacked to see the attitude of MOST cyclists towards the runners on the road way. Where as motorists all slowed down and moved into the first/right lane going towards Simon's Town, MOST cyclists insisted on riding as far left in the left lane and within very close proximity of the runners. Several riders shouted at them and offered angry gestures and exclamations. When I got to the crossing point where the runners came over from Red Hill road and I stopped to wait for a gap, at least 20 riders in succession simply rode in at speed and expected the runners to stop/dodge out of their way. This despite all the official/traffic police and flashing lights/flags everywhere. I couldn't help but think about the cycling races I've done around the Western Cape where there are no full road closures and where cyclists absolutely demand other road users to give way to the race. I remembered all the **** you asshole!!! Jou ****!!! ******* ********!!s I heard when riding in these races and a motorist/pedestrian happen to come a little close to the groups riding. Yet when the runners take up 1/4 of the roadway in their races... well, **** them. This road is for cyclists, you pricks.

I know this is great bait for you GoLefty!! and the others with the same sense of entitlement towards their own activity/group. But the fact is that you are wrong.

Archived