Making a Profit on Substitute Entries

karlvand

I know this has probably been covered before but I couldn't find any associated threads so what is the general consensus?

I just came across an advert in the classifieds where a guy is selling 2 X Cape Town Cycle Tour entries for R3,000.00.

That is a pretty large profit.

I went onto the website and it is clearly against the rules -

"Substitution Procedure Rules: (this applies to both the new entrant and the entrant withdrawing)

1. The entrant withdrawing will not be refunded his/her entry fee.

2. The entrant withdrawing may ask for the substitute entrant to refund their entry fee but they may not ask for more than they originally paid.PPA members paid an entry fee of R400 and non-PPA members paid an entry fee of R430.

3. The substitute participant will be issued a new number in the start group for which he/she qualifies.

4. Should the substitute participant not have their own RaceTec chip, they will be required to purchase one."

What do you guys think?

I think the person entering early is entitled to something from the Johnny-Come-Lately, despite what the rules say.  R3k is too naughty though.

I gave away two entries in recent(ish) years, better feeling and doesn't feel like its costing 6 months after I paid - and one was 2009 super-windy-special, where I felt guilty for the poor lady that went in place of me.

On the other hand I did get R10k a piece for some World Cup final tickets I sold in 2010 which is nice work if you can get it.

been discused before did not end well, as said above not accepted by race organizers, and if memory serves me correct the majority of the hub were not happy about it, but the argument of free trade was brought into it, personally i dont agree (because if i pay x i sell it for x if i dont use the entry ) but i am not going to loose sleep over it, if i want to ride a race and i was to slow to get an entry ill pay the penalty(inflated price) as long as the race organizer accepts the substitution 

just don't buy those inflated prices... wait until closer to the time, they will start to give them away... and what's the worse that can happen... you don't get to ride?... you were not riding anyway, so no real loss... just a bonus if you do manage to get at face value or less!!

It is a bit of a tricky 1, some people waited for hours in a online queue so it does feel like a bit of a kick in the nuts to sell them at face value but at the end of the day the rules state clearly that it is not allowed.

R3000 is ridiculous though.

It is a bit of a tricky 1, some people waited for hours in a online queue so it does feel like a bit of a kick in the nuts to sell them at face value but at the end of the day the rules state clearly that it is not allowed.

R3000 is ridiculous though.

yes and no

if you doing your 10th and going for a PR it makes sense 

thats the thing with supply and demand, its worth what ever the person is prepared to pay,

Buy them at the whatever inflated price . . . free trade and all 

BUT only if the seller agrees to a Naas Botha kick in the Nuts.  :devil: 

It is just not cool to sell tickets for a profit. 

Rules are clear on the issue. Tickets should be sold for what they were bought for. On the other hand if someone bought a charity entry for let say R1000, then maybe asking 1K in return is fair.

I think the seller should take 1 brick to the face for each 1c over the purchase price.

Strange because I'm normally a free market principle kinda guy - I think its the fact that the purchaser is purposely denying people entry to an event in order to fleece them later. That's a proper knob job in my books.

Buy them at the whatever inflated price . . . free trade and all 

BUT only if the seller agrees to a Naas Botha kick in the Nuts.  :devil: 

It is just not cool to sell tickets for a profit. 

Agreed.  If this got out of hand, you would find more and more people entering just to resell the tickets.  Takes away from the event.  They should deal harshly will this sort of thing

I reckon he's added a an extra naught by accident otherwise he's really stupid to include his full name, PPA just need to look him up and that's the end of his chance to ride the Argus again!

Agreed.  If this got out of hand, you would find more and more people entering just to resell the tickets.  Takes away from the event.  They should deal harshly will this sort of thing

TOO LATE, do you know how many people didnt get entries who have been riding for years,

:blush:

Archived