Carte Blanche

Kranswurm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, so do I Mr. J!  It's a nice story, it would be interesting to watch, but I really don't give a "(CSA website quote)" about someone doing drugs.  Kick them out, leave them in, just as long as I, as a back of the packer, can enjoy my cycling.

I just think the whole story about messing up cycling in SA is crap.  How many pros are there?  50/100?  I'm NOT talking about guys with day jobs, they're not the "face" of cycling.  Now if 25% dopes then what?!?!  I'm not going to stop riding, and I can just about guarantee you that I'll still see the Vito, epoh and ugly face Mr J at the races!

...and I can just about guarantee you that I'll still see the Vito' date=' epoh and ugly face Mr J at the races!

[/quote']LOL... ja nee meneer...ek trek net my gesig so as jy so cross dress... Euskatel, Credit Agricole kit... met fishy panties... back to the topic.

Lol, don't laugh Mr. J, I was hoping the CA/Euskaltel kit will give me "powers".  Just think, climb like Mayo and sprint like Thor!!!  Jissie, ek sal die pro peleton op "(CSA website quoted)"

I spoke to someone very involved in the industry a little while ago, who happens to be a Biokineticist.  Apparently these days it is possible to use DNA analysis to assess changes that have occurred in an athletes body.

So his argument is that if the controlling bodies really wanted to stop this they could enforce that a DNA sample is taken from a rider when they license, or to renew their license.  In the future, a second DNA sample can be used to analyse everything that has happened to that persons body since the first sample was taken.

The UCI's argument is that taking DNA is an infringement on the rights of the riders (as apposed to asking them to pee in a jar or have some blood drawn).

One has to question how committed the authorities are to sorting this problem out.
bruce2006-09-20 05:48:20

Bruce, I am not to sure on that on...

Look at the latest Pro Cycling mag. They talk about gene doping. Its already happening. Its increadible what some of these guys will do in order to win a bike race.

Besides, a Biokinetikist (spelling ?????) only works wih movement and so on, I dont think they know enough about DNA testing to make a comment like that.

Guest Michelle
Kick them out' date=' leave them in, just as long as I, as a back of the packer, can enjoy my cycling.[/quote']

This may change your mind... think about how much your seeding would improve without all those drugged up Elites getting kick-ass times LOL

"(CSA Website Quoted)" BAN THEM!!!!  Whoopeeeee, I'll have a decent seeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Clap

DaveS: Put it this way, a Biokineticist that has spent a few years working at the Sports Science Insititute knows a fair bit more than I do, so I tend to respect what he has to say.

Logically though, if genes have been altered, then DNA tests would pick that up, since you have a sample of the original DNA to compare with.

There is also another angle to look at this - the cost of doing the doping.  One would assume that gene doping would not be a cheap process.  So, if doping control creates the situation where the cost of doping outweighs the rewards of winning, people would not dope because it is not feasible.
bruce2006-09-20 06:03:19

Talking about cost bruce... I heard yesterday that Dave Buck says the EPO the pro's are using and paying millions for you can pick up at a Vetinary for R15? I wonder how true this is? Apparently the medice they use contains EPO. Who's gonna be the Guinea Pig?

Good Point.

I just cant understand how they keep getting away with it. That report in the cyclingnews magazine make sout as if it is very easy to dope and get away with it.

Perhaps our local heroes are not heroes after all. Perhaps they all just doping and getting away with it.

Talking about cost bruce... I heard yesterday that Dave Buck says the EPO the pro's are using and paying millions for you can pick up at a Vetinary for R15? I wonder how true this is? Apparently the medice they use contains EPO. Who's gonna be the Guinea Pig?

The cost is R13.95 if you buy it in bulk and you can claim it from medical aid under chronic.

Furthermore it is also safe for your animals to use.

My goldfish are having a whale of a time..

Well, this is the contention, just how committed are the authorities to fixing the problem?

Like him or hate him, what Chunky is saying is the painful truth - it is easy to get away with it.

I am from the I.T. industry.  There is a laboratory in Holland that assesses security systems.  They don't say whether something is secure or not, they give you a value on how much it would cost to crack the system.  The theory goes that if the value of the information you are trying to protect is significantly less than the cost to crack the protection system, for all intents and purposes the system is secure.

The same logic should be applied to doping because just as there is no such thing as a secure system, doping will always be around as long as the rewards for having doped (i.e. the potential winnings) are greater than the cost of doping.

Anti-doping will be successful the day they make it so difficult to dope that the cost outweighs the rewards.  If this DNA thing is true, then the level of sophistication required to beat it will make it not feasible.

My goldfish are having a whale of a time..

Was I the only one?!