30 minute training?

DoubleJ

I work crazy hours and normally I am up at 04:30. Afternoons sometimes are a bit difficult and I work most weekends, so yes, my work is interfering with my cycling, but I do hit the trails as often as possible.

I enjoy doing Sufferfest videos on my indoor trainer and lately I have been looking into the Trainerroad app on my iPad for structured training. Looks legit and it seems like a lot of folks greatly benefit from their program.

Sometimes I only have 30 minutes to quickly do some training on the IDT in the mornings and it looks like Trainerroad has got some great 30 minute structured interval training. My question is this....How much can you really  benefit from doing 30 minute interval training 3 times a week? This would be above the other riding I do during the week, my question just relates to the 30 minute intervals 3 times a week.

Thanks so much

I work crazy hours and normally I am up at 04:30.

As long as you make it count and hit those HIIT's hard it will make a difference. I cycle most mornings (not far, but hey at least I'm out and about) and then do a worked out 7 min workout. 12 exercises, 30 seconds each with 10 second rest between and let me tell you those 7mins are harder on the body than the 60min cycle.

All depends how much you put in and commit to sweet. And bleed.

10 min warm up

10 high intensity intervals

10 min cool down

Perfect!

Remember to add a long ride for endurance in your week.

Plenty time. You only need 8 minutes. Use the rest of the time to warm up.

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Works well and you will see good short term gains, mainly in strength, but you will plateau quickly with only 30 min intervals. Cycling is an endurance sport; you need long rides, long intervals and hill work to progress. Make your weekend rides count as a balance to the short intervals

You'll only get the full benefits of doing intervals if you have good base miles. Doing intervals with little or no base miles will lead to slower recovery, excessive fatigue etc.

With the little one at home and mom taking an hour to get home I have got no time to go and cycle after work sometimes. Tabata just has to be it, and let me tell you,  if you are doing it right, you will be k**&ing. It is very hard and you will hope and pray to get it done!

I use a long flat segment at the end of one of my road ride routes for this festival of pain. 35s sprint standing on the bike (simulating a sprint lap on the track) 35s rest tucking in aero position.  Over and over till I get home. (About 8 intervals)

Questions I ask myself while I'm dying...

What am I doing, am I mad?

How bad do I really want it? (my goals)

As long as you make it count and hit those HIIT's hard it will make a difference. I cycle most mornings (not far, but hey at least I'm out and about) and then do a worked out 7 min workout. 12 exercises, 30 seconds each with 10 second rest between and let me tell you those 7mins are harder on the body than the 60min cycle.

All depends how much you put in and commit to sweet. And bleed.

Deets via mail please!!!

Plenty time. You only need 8 minutes. Use the rest of the time to warm up.

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

the article talks of doing this 3 times a week, with rest days between.

Is this rest actually no cycling rest, or just take it easy riding (spinning) type rest ?

Which leads to the next question, if you have an hour to ride, how should/would/could this fit into a "training program".

Deets via mail please!!!

There are a few apps you buy for phones (ip and android) with this type of training...7 minute mostly all body weight exercises

There are a few apps you buy for phones (ip and android) with this type of training...7 minute mostly all body weight exercises

I've got the Crossfit bible stuff, but I'm always interested in finding variations that other people are using... 

Archived