Sunglasses for Cycling

Cookie88

Got myself a pair of Ocean Eyewear photochromic cycling glasses last year and love them...

actually, i have also heard a lot of good things.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I preferred glasses are D'Arc. Yes they are a bit cheaper, ok a lot cheaper, but I recon that if and when I loose them it will not be such a big loss.

They sit just fine and vent well. My only issue is that they do not have photochrome lenses yet. I bought my current pair 2 years ago. Still going strong.

D'Arcs has always provided good value.

I remember having a pair with multiple lenses.

Apparently they do have a photochrom option now too ...

http://www.omnico.co.za/images/pdf/DArcs%20web%20press.pdf

Edited by Thomo

I preferred glasses are D'Arc. Yes they are a bit cheaper, ok a lot cheaper, but I recon that if and when I loose them it will not be such a big loss.

They sit just fine and vent well. My only issue is that they do not have photochrome lenses yet. I bought my current pair 2 years ago. Still going strong.

Agreed.  For the price they are comfortable and good.  Mine came to an end when I stored them between my number and shirt instead of my pocket.  Not very happy with the pair I replaced them with (similar value).

Thanks for all the replies guys, might try have a look for something at the Argus Expo - maybe pick up a good deal! 

D'Arc's are good value for money and sit nice and comfy. Recently bought a photocromic pair from cwc on special so they are available.

Tifosi photochromatic sunnies are absolutely FINE - just check that the nose pad is comfy...

Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pro or Oakley Racing Jacket are both quality choices. Just remember that Photochromatic lenses generally don't change colour immediately, so if you're riding in areas where you are constantly going from dark(shady) to light(or vice versa) like you would in a forest, then that could be a potential problem. I find that Persimmon(orange) lenses work well for all lighting conditions.

Thank you very much for that info. Maybe I should look for them at the CTCT expo. I see they do polarized also now.

Just make sure you can read your computer display with polarized. Some polarized lenses I believe you struggle to read a lcd or similar display.

I don't make a habit of dropping my glasses  :whistling:

But seriously, I've dropped them a few times, and even had my little kids "playing" with them and they're all good.  Had them for years without any issues. 

Then I got a bad set. I dropped them twice. The first time on the paving and the frame snapped at the top. Second time I dropped it on a wooden floor and it chipped the frame on the other side. then last week I put them on over my helmet straps as usual and the right arm snapped off :eek:

Bad experience with Adidas so I can't vouch for them. Glad yours are holding up though :)

Edited by Jakkels

Guest notmyname

Just make sure you can read your computer display with polarized. Some polarized lenses I believe you struggle to read a lcd or similar display.

You just have to tilt your head left or right. I found this out with my normal shade's and the clock and temp of my car.

I currently ride with Rudy Project Kalyos Chrome's and my problem with them is after about 6 months the plastic has started to peel on the one arm, very slight but it will obviously worsen with time. Also, I have 3 sets of lenses with the frame, and the one set (of course, typically the lenses I prefer) don't sit 100% against the frame on the one side.

When it comes time to replace them, I'm probably going to go Oakley.

On my one bike computer, this is not a problem at all. On the other one it is so bad, I have to do a proper contortionist job with my neck in order to see the read out. I prefer polarised, especially on bright days along the ocean.