MTB Tyre Pressures - Advice from the agents

mataz

This is an email that was forwarded to me by a mate of mine, it is from Interac, who I see from their website are the agents for Continental tyres.   

I felt I needed to share, please enjoy...

Regarding the use of low air pressures in MTB tyres, would you please pass the following on to your dealers and to cyclists in general, to make them aware of the fact that tyres submitted with damage caused by under inflation will be rejected. For guidance, the following should be noted:

Assuming average rider weight of around 75kg, the following are recommended pressures for MTB tyres depending on width of the tyres:

2.0”  3.0 bars

2.2”  2.5 bars

2.4”  2.0 bars

Under no circumstances should any tyres be run lower than 1.8 bars and that only on soft surfaces (ie beach sand). Tyres which are run below the recommended pressures are subjected to excessive sidewall flex and tread squirm. This will eventually lead to rapidly escalating material degradation of the tyre casing which will then display signs of excessive perishing in the rubber covering on the sidewalls.

In cases of extended riding at lower than recommended inflation pressures, the threads in the tyre casing material will begin to separate and diagonal cracks will become visible in the sidewalls of the tyres. In some instances, tyre distortion or bubbling of the tread rubber will occur due to tread delamination from the casing.

These are not material or manufacturing defects and there will be no warranty acceptance for tyres damaged by under inflation.

Let me know if  any further information is required regarding the fitting and use of tyres. I’ve attached a guide for fitting MTB tyres and the work can be tedious. However, correctly fitted tyres run at recommended pressures, will virtually eliminate the downtime caused by punctures, handling issues, and tyre degradation.

Cheers

Ray

INTERAC  

Hahahaha 2.2" 2.5bars :eek:

I ride them 1.6 front and 1.7/1.8 rear. Never had a tire fail on me.

But tire pressures are rider dependent. Some like them a bit harder, and some like them a bit softer.

This is an email that was forwarded to me by a mate of mine, it is from Interac, who I see from their website are the agents for Continental tyres.   

Regarding the use of low air pressures in MTB tyres, would you please pass the following on to your dealers and to cyclists in general, to make them aware of the fact that tyres submitted with damage caused by under inflation will be rejected. For guidance, the following should be noted:

Assuming average rider weight of around 75kg, the following are recommended pressures for MTB tyres depending on width of the tyres:

2.0”  3.0 bars

2.2”  2.5 bars

2.4”  2.0 bars

Under no circumstances should any tyres be run lower than 1.8 bars and that only on soft surfaces (ie beach sand). Tyres which are run below the recommended pressures are subjected to excessive sidewall flex and tread squirm. This will eventually lead to rapidly escalating material degradation of the tyre casing which will then display signs of excessive perishing in the rubber covering on the sidewalls.

In cases of extended riding at lower than recommended inflation pressures, the threads in the tyre casing material will begin to separate and diagonal cracks will become visible in the sidewalls of the tyres. In some instances, tyre distortion or bubbling of the tread rubber will occur due to tread delamination from the casing.

These are not material or manufacturing defects and there will be no warranty acceptance for tyres damaged by under inflation.

Let me know if  any further information is required regarding the fitting and use of tyres. I’ve attached a guide for fitting MTB tyres and the work can be tedious. However, correctly fitted tyres run at recommended pressures, will virtually eliminate the downtime caused by punctures, handling issues, and tyre degradation.

Cheers

Ray

INTERAC  

thats a big fat assumption!

It's just a CYA (Cover your ass) release. Just in case someone feels that they want to claim for damages from improper use that wasn't written somewhere. 

Sjoe those are pretty hard. They don't state what diameter tyre but regardless I have a 26er that I commute/train on with a 2.2 race king protection on the rear and it does mainly tar and pavement and at 2 bar I feel that's plenty hard for that terrain. If I had to go proper off road id drop the pressure. Even my maxxis monorail on the front gets pumped to 2 bar.

It's just a CYA (Cover your ass) release. Just in case someone feels that they want to claim for damages from improper use that wasn't written somewhere. 

You're probably right. The one XCO World Cup Nino Schurter ran his tubbies 1.3 bar

considering they can refuse a warranty as pointed out by our main man Ray, my money wont go their way

I ride Conti, love the grip. 94kg's and 1.1 bar up front, 1.2 in the back, all off road. Never had a flat, touch wood.

Do you go through rims faster than razor blades? That's extremely low for your weight and with jumps and rock strikes I can't see how your rims hold up on anything that involves any air time.

2.0”  3.0 bars

2.2”  2.5 bars

2.4”  2.0 bars

Cheers

Ray

INTERAC  

thanks for forwarding on,  interesting but thats a complete load of crap!!

it is a surefire way to get out of ever taking any kind of responsibility for goods supplied.

i found a very interesting article by an engineer on proper tire inflation, no he doesnt work for Conti but has consulted with them in the past from what info i can find.

here is a link to the doc. 

http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

thanks for forwarding on,  interesting but thats a complete load of crap!!

it is a surefire way to get out of ever taking any kind of responsibility for goods supplied.

i found a very interesting article by an engineer on proper tire inflation, no he doesnt work for Conti but has consulted with them in the past from what info i can find.

here is a link to the doc. 

http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

exactly, if that is their stance and confidence in their product, well then sorry conti, you just lost me as a customer

2.0”  3.0 bars

2.2”  2.5 bars

2.4”  2.0 bars

Cheers

Ray

INTERAC  

I completely agree and have always advised pressures in these ranges due to the reasons given.

There are a lot of tyre bead failures and riders blaming the tyre when they have uninflated it.

You're probably right. The one XCO World Cup Nino Schurter ran his tubbies 1.3 bar

those tubbies are designed to be run at those pressures