Trans Karoo 2015

Disco man

This was my 4th Transkaroo and anyone complaining only have themselves to blame. When I did my first upride in 2012 on a cheap GT 29er I knew I would have to ration my water carefully - especially between Bizaansgat and Zeekoeigat. If you look at the route, the climbs, your ability... you'll figure it out

The whole idea of Transkaroo is you VS the Karoo - your ride starts long before you get on the bike, you need to plan your ride because out there its just you. 

About the catering, considering this ride only costs R1000, it was excellent. The potjiekos at the end was so big I regret buying a second one for my wife as we wouldn't even finish one together. 

So in short all I have to say about Transkaroo is that it is excellent and I can't wait for my 3rd upride next year. 

Which is exactly the reason i declined a free entry 1 week before the event.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's best to know your limits and stick within them. Never run out of track nor talent else bad things happen :D Another thing to keep in mind is that endurance events are like donating blood - never give 100%  :thumbup:

There was actually one water point to many imo, I did not even stop at the 1st one at 45km.

There was actually one water point to many imo, I did not even stop at the 1st one at 45km.

Didnt your brakes work. Weight wenie. Racing SNAKE................

Ons OUBALLIES moet stop om ons hart pillitjies te drink.

At the first one I just stopped to put my jersey in my beautiful blue box. Did you guys see my boxes? 

This was my first ultra endurance race.

In my opinion, very well organized, thank you very much to Martin and everyone at Orange Anvil. You will definitely see me again next year for the up ride, cant wait to go up Ouberg pass.

2 water 700ml bottles was enough for CP3 to CP4, if you planned it properly you would not have had any problems.What helped was finishing one bottle while at the checkpoint, which then gives you 3 bottles in total.

Catering was more than sufficient in my opinion.

In a race like this you should not rely on others for your nutrition, it is your own responsibility, water points are there to augment you.

Again R1000-00 is a bargain in my opinion, Trans baviaans is R1650-00.

Attakwas is R 700, for half the distance.

Just my 2c

Edited by Tersmit

That was my second TK and the timing of the headwind made it brutal, loved it though.

That sunset was it's own reward.

On Food & Drink:

I didn't find the distance between water points too far.

It's clearly shows on the route map where they are - plan accordingly.

Your hydration is your own responsibility. From previous experience I use a Camelbak Racebak and a large bottle. So that's almost 3 litres. Plenty.

I had no issue with the volume of food either, there always seemed enough to me.

The supper was really good.

The breakfast was a disaster, very disappointing. The one morning you've earned some grease...

The Rest:

The EMO guys were amazing as always.

Did anyone see any photographers on route - I didn't notice.

The Format:

A bit concerned for the future of the race when a rider who has a team working for him can win the 'solo' category. 

I know i'm going to get flak for that, so just to be clear - i think the winners time was incredible, and i'm sure he and his team trained and worked very hard to nail it. I have only respect for their achievement.

I'd just like to see in future editions, perhaps a further split in categories: Team, team of 2, solo (as in true on your ace), just to keep the spirit of tackling those big spaces alone alive.

There was not "team" working for a rider at the front, we all were pacing at the head. In fact the winner was the one pacing more than anyone else, from the start, everyone that rode up front would back me up on this.

When one member of said "team" turns to you and says "can we agree to fuel up and wait for everyone in the group before leaving the water point", only then with his "team" attacks the rest of the group while they are filling there water bottles.....I'm not sure if that would constitute team tactics.......just saying!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have the results PDF of the 2012 TransKaroo ? I have all the years except 2012 which was my first.