Trans Karoo 2015

Disco man

Smurfy - hubby was almost an hour and a half after u at CP4. Approx 2l water and 2 bottles - still had one left when he got to us. Also recorded temps of between 24 and 27. Said exactly the same as u - breezing out of 3 at 30kms/h and hit the wind down to 12kms/h!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are missing the point. 

People riding with 2 bottles and a camelbak ran out of water due to the heat. The weather forecast was way off. 

The water table ran out of water, PLEASE explain how this requires better planning on the participants side. 

You are missing the point. 

People riding with 2 bottles and a camelbak ran out of water due to the heat. The weather forecast was way off. 

The water table ran out of water, PLEASE explain how this requires better planning on the participants side. 

Question...did these people fill those water containers and run out because it was too hot, or were they not able to fill them at the WP as there was no water?

AV Temperature recorded was 18C - HEAT?!?!

Marius, you rode toooo fast to get hot in the afternoon. 17th overall. Ons agterosse het bietjie warm gekry halpad tussen CH point 2 en 3. :-) Edited by Smurfy

--------

=   57

Close enough.

ROUGHLY

1 WP 40KM

2.WP 95KM

3.WP 145KM

4.WP 202KM

FINISH 240KM.

NOTE; I WAS PREPARED, SO FLAME SUIT OFF.

C U NEXT YEAR ON THE UP RIDE.

Edited by Smurfy

Close enough.

ROUGHLY

1 WP 40KM

2.WP 95KM

3.WP 145KM

4.WP 202KM

FINISH 240KM.

NOTE; I WAS PREPARED, SO FLAME SUIT OFF.

C U NEXT YEAR ON THE UP RIDE.

I think you meant flame suit on.

I think you meant flame suit on.

Haha! Smurfy might regret taking off that flamesuit  ^_^

See you there next year Smurfy, can't wait for that hike-a-bike up Ouberg  :devil:

I think we should ask te organisers to reduce the number of watertables, you know, just to keep the ex-golfers away...

This was my first ultra endurance event and was pretty disappointed in the organisation by Martin & Co.

- a race briefing CT and not night before is a brain fart

- a breakfast of a bowl of oats and some bread is an insult

- there should have been at least one more water point

- the discrepancy between route descriptions (especially of where CP 3 was exactly) was a stuff up and put us at risk out there.

Don't think I'll do this event again.

How does that thread go again " When Men were Men and sheep were afraid".... Man up!!!!

The event was well organized and was exactly as advertised, a ultra endurance event through the Tankwa Karoo.

Every riders safety is first and foremost his/ her own responsibility. That also goes for Hydration and Nutrition .There were more than enough well stocked water tables on route. If a rider planed and prepared properly ( as a serious rider taking on a 240km Karoo crossing should) he would of picked up the discrepancies regarding the location of CP3 and the distance between CP 3 & CP4. Planned his Nutrition and Hydration accordingly.

As for the breakfast, blame yourself. Doing a Ultra Endurance Event and leaving breakfast entirely up the Organisers was not the best Nutrition strategy. Did you at least contact the organisers and ask what breakfast will be?

I finished in 12 and bit hours and will be back for as long as the event runs. There is just something really special about cycling through the Tankwa!!!

This was my 4th Transkaroo and anyone complaining only have themselves to blame. When I did my first upride in 2012 on a cheap GT 29er I knew I would have to ration my water carefully - especially between Bizaansgat and Zeekoeigat. If you look at the route, the climbs, your ability... you'll figure it out

The whole idea of Transkaroo is you VS the Karoo - your ride starts long before you get on the bike, you need to plan your ride because out there its just you. 

About the catering, considering this ride only costs R1000, it was excellent. The potjiekos at the end was so big I regret buying a second one for my wife as we wouldn't even finish one together. 

So in short all I have to say about Transkaroo is that it is excellent and I can't wait for my 3rd upride next year. 

Sorry chaps, have to agree with planning and take extra if in doubt; i started with two bottles, planning on filling camelback only at cp 1 or 2 , left cp1 with only two bottles; not even 2 km down that bloody mountain my back bottle cage snapped and bottle was distroyed- did the entire leg on 1 bottle.

Filled camelback twice after that with a bottle and glugged down 4 or 5 cups of bluejuice at the tables.

There was more than enough food; no idea if a station ran out of water towards the tail end. But even with the head wind in warm weather I never felt there needed to be more water stations.

If you know you cant cope with 60km with two bottles, then YOU should have brought a camelback.