Statement regarding alternative routes for 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

start is AT the train station. you get off the train, walk out the station door and into your start pen.

Perfect - thanks guys! Now lets see what comes of the route decision this evening. Kudos to all you guys & gals fighting the fires - very sad sight! Be safe!

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just to let you guys know - there is a fire in cape point as well !

so that route is now OUT

just to let you guys know - there is a fire in cape point as well !

so that route is now OUT

"The City of Cape Town says there are no fires at Cape Point, in response to tweets that a fire had flared up there. "

"The City of Cape Town says there are no fires at Cape Point, in response to tweets that a fire had flared up there. "

Just called the gate and the lady confirmed a fire at Gif Kommetjie

Don't worry i'm also from joburg. Yip you do as you said. Just remember to buy a ticket from the train station or the expo before hand. Its slightly more expensive than a normal ticket as its a Bicycle transport ticket. Last year I think it was R40 return(which I still thought was cheap). Its like a 2 min ride from station to start. Just check train schedule and your start time. I start at 06h20 and MUST catch the first train which gets there just in time. Last year there where some people at the expo selling tickets, They where at the exit of the registration spot(just before going through to official merchandise section) on the right hand side.

Thanks very much for the advise - much appreciated. Will keep a look out for the guys selling tickets...

eish...

I really really hope I am wrong and that I have to eat all my words on this. :thumbdown:

I so want the lady at the gate to be wrong!

EDIT: just called the restaurant and they confirmed the fire at the information centre

They were preparing for a controlled burn in that area there (I saw some fire beaks being prepaed a while ago already)...SURELY they will NOT be doing that now??? :eek: :eek:

My money is on this year's tour, which would have been my first, is gonna be cancelled. No way the tour trust and City of Cape Town are going to let people ride through that devastation, with the inherent risks that involves. The smoke from this fire will linger for days, and the ash and dust which is going to be kicked up by the wind on Sunday will make for extremely difficult riding. People who are not really fit will definitely find it hard going. People could suffer respiratory and cardiac problems in that kind of environment. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see another outcome to this.

Zille's take on the current situation... taken from News24

post-30019-0-92503200-1425470667_thumb.png

Edited by Ferret69

Would have been my first too! Have decided not to add to the chaos. A far distance to travel from Pta not to do the 'proper' route.

Donated the charity entrance fee to CANSA.

The first time should be the best! Not so?

Strength to all parties concerned.

Guest Smimby

My money is on this year's tour, which would have been my first, is gonna be cancelled. No way the tour trust and City of Cape Town are going to let people ride through that devastation, with the inherent risks that involves. The smoke from this fire will linger for days, and the ash and dust which is going to be kicked up by the wind on Sunday will make for extremely difficult riding. People who are not really fit will definitely find it hard going. People could suffer respiratory and cardiac problems in that kind of environment. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see another outcome to this.

Alternate route is ALWAYS on the cards

I really really hope I am wrong and that I have to eat all my words on this. :thumbdown:

I so want the lady at the gate to be wrong!

EDIT: just called the restaurant and they confirmed the fire at the information centre

14:09

SANParks spokesperson Merle Collins confirmed that a part of Cape Point was burning. However she had not details of which part or how big the fire was and if it was related to the fire on the south peninsula or a separate one.

3 Hours and 20 minutes, hopefully they don't move the press report again!

Is it going to be broadcast somewhere?