FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

I'd be interested to know what type of session the seasoned power trainers find is most beneficial for improving FTP and what zones (% of FTP) they use to achieve this

Sweet spot / threshold intervals but the important key is to do intervals long enough and enough intervals untill you hit exhaustion in those zones to allow your body to adapt ...

Eg. starting out you might do say 5min intervals @ 105% FTP before you hit exhaustion, over time you will progress till you can do 8, 10, 20 min intervals before point of exhaustion at 105% FTP

I cant recall the % drop in average power for an interval to be considered exhaustion, will look it up this evening. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to me 8 - 15 min @105% efforts helped. more 8 because I was tired by then already...do this once a week incorporated with other rides.

Hey Antonj - How many of those efforts would you do and how long recovery between?

Sweet spot / threshold intervals but the important key is to do intervals long enough and enough intervals untill you hit exhaustion in those zones to allow your body to adapt ...

Eg. starting out you might do say 5min intervals @ 105% FTP before you hit exhaustion, over time you will progress till you can do 8, 10, 20 min intervals before point of exhaustion at 105% FTP

I cant recall the % drop in average power for an interval to be considered exhaustion, will look it up this evening. 

That's an interesting factor, would be interested to know ...thanks

Try and spend 30mins a session in VO2max range.

You might start with 5min efforts but you will fatigue and end up only being able to do 2mins efforts as you fatigue.

It gets complex and I can't really give educated coaching advice, but spending time in VO2max range seems to be the short answer.

Edited by Patchelicious

Try and spend 30mins a session in VO2max range.

You might start with 5min efforts but you will fatigue and end up only being able to do 2mins efforts.

Qué..VO2max range?

i know FTP and LTHR but not VO2max

Can you explain slowly and wif pictures

a fatty at 83kg? :eek: All relative I guess hey!

I wonder what he will call me at 108kg?!

My FTP is 239w and 2.8

So do all you guys have power meters?

I like the scientific approach and am looking for a reasonably good deal on an indoor trainer that has power output. Makes more sense to me than getting something like a Stages power meter, but damn, prices are rough lately.

I like the scientific approach and am looking for a reasonably good deal on an indoor trainer that has power output. Makes more sense to me than getting something like a Stages power meter, but damn, prices are rough lately.

IDT with power meter i have (Cycle ops power beam pro)

No power meter on bikes when riding outdoors, there its the old way counting heart beats

A shortcut method to doing a lot of volume at vo2max is 30s/30s intervals, where the on bit is at MAP/5 min max power, recovery is at 50% MAP. If you can do 30s/15s it's even better.

I say shortcut because it feels easier to do than continuous intervals (like 4x8 or 6x5).

Some sauce

Hey Antonj - How many of those efforts would you do and how long recovery between?

That's an interesting factor, would be interested to know ...thanks

Here we go in picture format  :whistling:

post-13500-0-41290700-1452060319_thumb.jpg

A nice workout to do for FTP is over unders - take for example a 10 minute interval block and break it up so that you do 1min @95% FTP and then 1min @ 105% FTP keep going up and down like that till you done 10 min total, rinse and repeat  :devil:

I have both but only recently got my stages PM, first got my cycleops IDT... I would do it the other way round if i could go back and do it over. I find the power data from longer rides out on the road to be more valuable in the long run when looking at strengths and weaknesses and what to address in your training.

Just as effective to use a PM on your bike while on a cheaper entry level IDT as it is to use the higher end IDT's.

My view anyway... 

Here we go in picture format  :whistling:

attachicon.gifIMG_3543.JPG

A nice workout to do for FTP is over unders - take for example a 10 minute interval block and break it up so that you do 1min @95% FTP and then 1min @ 105% FTP keep going up and down like that till you done 10 min total, rinse and repeat  :devil:

Great info! Thanks! How many of the 10min over under intervals would you suggest in a session?

you can do 3 x 12min blocks inside a good hour session with 3min rest between blocks and a decent warm up... i did find i could still do more after the 3rd block but most of my IDT sessions during the week are an hour long

I've never ridden consistently and recorded my data before a few months ago but last year I dropped my weight from 72 kg to 63kg from Jan to November. In November I did an ftp Test on the road and was a meagre  2.45W/kg (95% of 20 minute) But in two months I'm up to 3.1W/kg.(95% of 20 minute) Will I see consistent gains like this or is there a ceiling to which one can improve from the start of their training?

Edited by The Tourminator