• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't see how your total power could be higher than your best 20min power

Exactly. But that's what is says

Exactly. But that's what is says

Can be if you looking at Norm power for the entire ride instead of Raw data?

Would like to post a pic of the power data but not sure how?  :wacko:

But it reads:

Av Power: 287

Max Power: 1241

Max Av Power 20 min: 275

Normalised Power: 281

Would like to post a pic of the power data but not sure how?  :wacko:

But it reads:

Av Power: 287

Max Power: 1241

Max Av Power 20 min: 275

Normalised Power: 281

Very strange your Norm power should be allot higher than your ave power especially in a crit where you jump all the time.

Ok I'm new on the power training game. Just got a Stages meter on my road bike running thru my Garmin. So far I've done no tests, just a few rides with it, and had it on for a crit this past weekend. Now from Garmin Connect for the crit it gives me an average power for the whole event of 287W and a max av power of 275W for 20 min. How would you guys interpret that?

This is unusual but possible. For example imagine riding 19 min at 275 watts then ride for 1 min at zero watts. Then keep repeating. The average for this combination of intervals will lead to higher power for the whole ride than best 20m within the ride. So for example on the crit course if there is on part of the lap which is lower power tgis could be the cause.

In your case, I would take the power for event as first stab 20m test - but better to repeat the test in conditions that you can repeat over time with min impact on variables.

Very strange your Norm power should be allot higher than your ave power especially in a crit where you jump all the time.

Is your garmin set to include zero power in average? It should be set to include zeros. Non-zero average power is often similar to norm power result.

Is your garmin set to include zero power in average? It should be set to include zeros. Non-zero average power is often similar to norm power result.

Ok there's the first issue - I see it's set to not include zero's in power averaging. I'll just reset that now. Thanks for that  :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Right so now Im confused... Did an FTP test tonight running trainerroad on my desktop and cycleops VT in free ride mode on my tablet... All settings the same on both programmes...

Results from trainerroad - 2.8 W/kg

Results from cycleops - 3.5 W/kg

Using a cycleops jetfluid pro so I'm inclined to say that the cycleops reading is correct... From what I understand the guys at TR don't have the exact speed vs power curves and the extrapolate there own formulas

Any thoughts or ideas?

• 1 month later...

Did my first ftp test on the kickr today... It's a big-boy workout, couldn't climb the damn steps to my room afterwards. Managed 306 W for 20 mins, which then translates to a 291 W FTP if I got that right. At 87 kgs that gives me 3.3 W/kg

Can one assume that you FTHR occurs at FTP? Reason im asking is because I've only got a PM on my road bike so I do not know what the mtb power looks like.

Im not talking about the power in xc type routes with lots of short, sharp climbs. More the transbaviaans, k2c type events. Id like to use my FTHR which I measured while doing my FTP and a pacing tool while on the mtb

Can this be done?

Can one assume that you FTHR occurs at FTP? Reason im asking is because I've only got a PM on my road bike so I do not know what the mtb power looks like.

Im not talking about the power in xc type routes with lots of short, sharp climbs. More the transbaviaans, k2c type events. Id like to use my FTHR which I measured while doing my FTP and a pacing tool while on the mtb

Can this be done?

Yes

I am going to stop doing these FTP tests. Seems I am getting kakker with each test even though my race results and fitness gets better. Bloody depressing...........

I am going to stop doing these FTP tests. Seems I am getting kakker with each test even though my race results and fitness gets better. Bloody depressing...........

How rested are you before you do them?

I find best is to do it after a good few days completely off the bike and away from training. Also dont try do the test with a power number in mind that you want to get to, i started covering up the power reading and just going on feel.

The more important question in the coming years are going to be

What is your W Prime? (W')

Trainingpeaks calls it Functional Reserve Capacity (FRC)

This will help a LOT in racing and I cannot wait for Garmin to make it a field on their screens.

Go read up.  Very interesting stuff.

https://vimeo.com/122921189